How formal for teens on Carnival?

karen11g

Karen

I think the black/white will be fine, but definitely on the more formal end of the spectrum. My daughter (15 at the time) wore a bridesmaids dress on one of the formal nights on our New Year's cruise '03-'04 that was similar in style. It was for New Year's Eve which was more formal than most regular formal nights. She looked great and didn't feel out of place at all. I think she even stayed dressed up for the show! I also like to wear full gowns for formal nights. DH and son both wore tuxes (not the bow tie though - the long ties) and the formal pictures looked great!

We are cruising again next February - kids will be 17, 14 and 12 and all plan to dress in gowns and dark suits (possibly a tux again so we don't have to buy a suit which he'll never wear again - he is growing like a weed!)

Sorry I don't have pics to post!

Karen,

Since my DD is only 13 right now she hasn't had the opportunity to attend many "formal" functions. This ensemble was for at sweetheart dance and was therefore listed as "semi-formal". I was just hoping that this would work so I wouldn't have to go out and get ANOTHER entire outfit on top of all the other "stuff" I have (and some I already have:D ) to pick up before we go!!!!!

Don't sweat it . . . I think her dress was GORGEOUS but I would choose which ever one she feels more confident and comfortable in. The other thing to think about is "transporting" it to its destination . . . this dress can be "wodded" up and will still be fine with a hit from my travel steamer!!!!!

I think you are all exactly right that it's whatever you (or they) are comfortable in (within limits of casualness on formal night, of course). I know my #2DD would be too self-conscious in the "gown," so I think I'll have to spring for something else for her. Can you say "sale"? ;) Fortunately, she's 16 so it should be easy - Sixteen year-olds don't know it, but they look great in everything! (Were we ever that cute?!? :rolleyes:

Here is one picture that shows what we wore one night on the Conquest this year.

My youngest teen is planning on wearing the same pink dress to her boyfriend's prom next month and then on the cruise again. We also bought her one of those "fairy" type dresses for the other night (clearance buy).

My older daughter is still up in the air. She is in a wedding next month and I think she is planning to wear that dress. Strapless, three fourths length. We bought a full length dress to wear on the other night but I don't know if we can make it work or not (doesn't fit but may be able to alter it).

http://awilliams476.photosite.com/Album1/

Click on the picture to make it bigger.

Can you say "sale"? ;) Fortunately, she's 16 so it should be easy - Sixteen year-olds don't know it, but they look great in everything! (Were we ever that cute?!? :rolleyes:

Karen,

I think you could really find some good sales right now if you have a chance to check them out. I know I was out yesterday and there were sales EVERYWHERE!!!

For myself . . . I've got a long "gown" that I wore to a friend on mine's Potentate Ball last year and it kinda reminds me of the dress you showed us. It's black and white (looks like a 2pc but it's not) . . . black skirt and white sequened (just a little) top.

My DH is wearing black slacks and a black/white jacket so we'll all look VERY NICE together . . . I HOPE ANYWAY . . . I'd LOVE to have a couple REALLY NICE pictures of the 3 of us!!! The last one I've got was at my oldest step-daughter's wedding . . . MY DD was 2yrs old at the time!!!!!:eek:

Needless to say . . . I think it's time for an "updated" version!! :p

Okay, now I am questioning the super-formal dress again! :confused: All of the other dresses posted are more along the lines of what I thought teen girls might wear - dressy and lovely, but not nearly as formal as the black/white dress I posted. (It may be my tiny photos don't show how formal it is - more like a gown than a prom dress.) I know it would be best if my DD would feel confidant enough to just wear what she looks pretty in, but I know she will be self-conscious if she is the most dressed up. It looks like the others we have are fine, but I think we'll leave the one gown home. Too bad - it is gorgeous!!

Sorry I can't post the pics right now, but on our last cruise my DD was almost 14 years old, so a little bit on the younger side of what you're discussing. We found 2 very beautiful elegant cocktail dresses for the 2 formal nights and she fit right in with the other dresses we were seeing on young ladies. One was black velvet with cut-out area covered with mesh across upper waist area and had spaghetti straps. Other was deep blue silk with black "toile" print on it. Both were fitted to her, and narrow/slim in shape.

There were some beautiful long gowns, but I think the cocktail length was seen equally as much, if not more. If you do go with the 1st gown, IMHO I would leave the gloves off as they look a bit too much in comparison to what you will probably see others wearing. Someone else made a good comment about transport~~~how easily can this be done with the formal gown? I myself wore a long, formal gown with small amount of beading one night, and, although it was beautiful, I felt as if I was dressing a bit more formally than a good amount of the others on board and in the dining room that night. I was up to the challenge, but I don't know if a young lady would like to feel this way. As you've said, they are so concerned with looking so much like the others, while at the same time they think they want to be seen as individuals!!! :rolleyes: Good luck with your decision. Hopefully you'll get more pictures from posters, and can judge what she'd feel most comfortable in based in part on what you're seeing.

I posted a link to my pictures a couple above this one. If you click on the family of four, my youngest daughter was l6 (in the solid pink). When she went the year before, she wore another formal (clearance rack also) and her friend (whose family was also on board) wore her 8th grade graduation dress. This was two months after graduation from eighth grade that they were on the Sovereign. The second year (last year) was the Conquest. Any questions, please e-mail me at rcw02@insightbb.com

Also, tell your girls to make sure they go to the get-to-gether with the teens the first night. They became my daughters friends most of the remaining time on the cruise.

Betsy and Kim, thanks for the nice comments on my son :) Of course I agree that he was pretty sharp looking, but I am partial! LOL

I'm lucky since he doesn't mind getting dressed up, btw he's 15 years old. He brought one suit and changed the shirts and ties.

I remember seeing lots of boys dressed up in suits on our cruise. There was even one table across from us where all the boys in one family were wearing tuxedos, and I think there were 4 of them. That family was *really* dressed up. I think most of the girls were in cocktail length dresses, and I didn't see very many floor length gowns.

Also, tell your girls to make sure they go to the get-to-gether with the teens the first night. They became my daughters friends most of the remaining time on the cruise.

This is great advice! Also, participate in your sailing's roll call here. My son emailed with several other teens before the cruise and they felt like they "knew" each other when they met. It was a real ice-breaker the first night, they met and were off and having fun right away!

Archived