Child Control

tntortiz8809

If I were in the hot tub...and there was obviously unsupervised child causing a problem....I would take him by the hand and bring him to "the desk".

If mom came out of nowhere....all upset...and calling me a kidnapper....I would tell her that the child was abandoned, so I was bringing him to security.

On another note...I think some adults really over-react.

When my son was little (about 5) and learning to swim...he swam by an obese woman who was standing in the pool (this was a community pool for a vacation home we had). Obviously, when you swim, there is some splashing....so since she was an inanimate object....a little water splashed on her. She then made a giant splash of water on my son. He really didn't notice or care...but I did. She was informed that if she wanted to remain dry...she should remain out of the water. Otherwise, by definition...when you go in the water you have to expect to get wet.

was it necessary to mention she was obese??? sounds like an unneeded description to me *rolls eyes*

Seriously? We're in a society where people need to be afraid to intervene when a child is possibly in trouble. "Oh, I can't hold child's hand because if we DO find his parents, I'll have charges pressed against me."

You clearly state that you would be present with your child. This wouldn't apply to you, so.... the problem is what?

this person wasn't "removing" a child in her fantasy because they were in trouble. she was removing them because the child was acting in a way unacceptable to her, and she was going to remove the child not only from the tub, but off the deck entirely. by the hand, no less.

this person wasn't "removing" a child in her fantasy because they were in trouble. she was removing them because the child was acting in a way unacceptable to her, and she was going to remove the child not only from the tub, but off the deck entirely. by the hand, no less.

While I would never touch a child (unless they were in harms way) and removing a child for poor behavior is not something ayone should do, I find it extremely horrific that a parent would put their child in a position where they even COULD be carted off by a stranger. :mad:

That is just totally unacceptable.

hmmm. just who was the adult?

not me in this case.:rolleyes: sometimes you have to react like a child in order to make them understand. doesn't apply in all situations, but this particular time it worked. no one was harmed, the kids stopped horsing around in the hot tub and used it appropriately when we were there. and they new what it was like to be splashed in the face unexpectedly. maybe they learned from it, maybe not, but atleast when our group was around, they new not to be jumping in the hot tub.:)

I'm only protesting the fact that some adults here think that kids shouldn't be in the hot tub even though they are allowed. Bring it up with Carnival if you want the rules changed.

Also It doesn't matter a bit to me what a group of strangers think about my child. You will never meet him and after reading some of these responses, I'm happy some of you aren't part of his village:p

I didn't say this was directed at you but it's funny that you saw yourself in this.:rolleyes:

My cruise leaves on Sat. and now I'm hoping I'll be entertained by unruly brats. I'll write some notes so that I can report back here.

you'll be entertained by more than unruly brats. :eek: :D

I didn't say this was directed at you but it's funny that you saw yourself in this.:rolleyes:

Please, I was just letting you know why parents were saying that their kids were allowed in hot tubs.

My kid is old enough to show restraint and not yet old enough to drink. He's at the perfect age:)

I just want to reiterate.. The hot tubs are salt water.. :)

I didn't taste the water in the hot tub on the Magic last month (!!!!), but I think it was fresh water because it smells (reeks?) of chlorine. My neighbor--on land--has a salt water swimming pool and he constantly brags that his is better than mine because he puts no chlorine in his salt water pool. You see, one does not chlorinate sea water or salt water. It follows that hot tubs on every cruise ship I've ever been on is fresh water since they all had a strong chlorine smell. But I will grant you that my sample size is somewhat small, will tell hubby he must take me on more cruises so I can verify my theory ;-)

:rolleyes:

I disagree...and even if they didn't need a vacation, family time is good for children and their parents. The problem is the parents who don't see the vacation as family time.

I agree with this and fotunately so does my children's school principal. He always grants a week out of school and insist that family time is as important as classroom time. So if any of you cruise in October to avoid kids, sorry we will be there with our 3 LOL.

While I would never touch a child (unless they were in harms way) and removing a child for poor behavior is not something ayone should do, I find it extremely horrific that a parent would put their child in a position where they even COULD be carted off by a stranger. :mad:

That is just totally unacceptable.

i agree.

but how does this person grabbing someone out of a pool know that an adult is not watching said child? grab them by the arm and wait till the parent makes their presence known?

i agree.

but how does this person grabbing someone out of a pool know that an adult is not watching said child? grab them by the arm and wait till the parent makes their presence known?

She shouldn't grab the child in the first place...like I said, that's just not something anyone should do.

Approaching the kid to ask them where there parent is would be an option I would consider first.

She shouldn't grab the child in the first place...like I said, that's just not something anyone should do.

Approaching the kid to ask them where there parent is would be an option I would consider first.

agree, and again, not sure why that question would be asked unless there was an emergency. it's not a question most kids would answer, nor respond to.

Usually I can look past children's antics if they are not too disruptive. I will say that my only negative experiences on the Magic in June was due to children, or rather parents who refused to control them. They both dealt with the specialty restaurant.

The first was at the steakhouse. We had a reservation at 8:15. I booked at this time thinking that it would be all adults due to the later time. I was wrong. There were three different tables that had very young children. I don't have a problem if the kids are behaving, but on this occasion they were all yelling and crying loudly. The parents were oblivious. The steak house on the Magic is much smaller then on other ships so their commotions were very intrusive to the atmosphere. We cancelled our reservations for later in the cruise.

Towards the end of the 12 day cruise we decided to try the new Italian Restaurant. Again, we went later at 8:30. The table next to us consisted of two couples and two little girls. They were on desserts when we arrived. Soon after the girls became ancy and began to run around the table. They then started crawling everywhere in the dining room and all around the other tables. The waiters had to keep avoiding them and more then once people were almost tripped up. The parents did not care in the least. The girls even ran to the other side of the restaurant, down to the buffet area and back up with ice cream cones. The mother did not even notice they were gone. Finally, a waiter went over to the table and asked them to either make sure the girls remained seated for safety reasons or to leave. They left as we were leaving. In other words, they let the girls run around the restaurant for over an hour.

I really wish Carnival would adopt RCCL's policy of no children in the specialty restaurants after a certain time.

agree, and again, not sure why that question would be asked unless there was an emergency. it's not a question most kids would answer, nor respond to.

If there were a child (for example)...let's say under the age of 7, alone for a long time with no parent visible...I would likely ask the child where their parent was just to make sure the parent WAS within sight of the child....I don't think little kids should be left alone.

That would be reason enough for me to inquire that of a child.

If the parent is right there...the kid can point them out, then it's all cool :)

If not, then it's an issue.

A tiny bit off topic but a few years back there was a thread going about "What's the grossest thing you every saw on a cruise" and 99% of the replies had to do with hot tubs. There were some definate YUCK factors in that thread. If you can find it, and read it, believe me, you won't let your kids in them for a second. I remember distincly, one of them dealt with a couple sitting in the hot tub and the female was "popping" the pimples on the guys back. OMG!!! YUCK. Do your kids a favor...unless you have a RX for antibiodics with you, keep them out of the hot tubs!

Amen, hot tubs on ships disgust me! I call it "people soup". To me it's just a big, bubbling vat of germs and bacteria. I wouldn't go in one and I certainly wouldn't advise anyone to let their children go into one either. That's BESIDES the fact that excessive heat exposure for children can cause them to suffer things like heat stroke and heart palpitations. I've seen folks go into hot tubs with visible cuts, toenail fungus, and all manner of skin conditions.

There's not enough antibiotics in the world to make me go into one of those things on a ship!! :eek:

I really wish Carnival would adopt RCCL's policy of no children in the specialty restaurants after a certain time.

I agree but then again I don't....it's difficult. I wager there are some really cool kids out there that at a young age can sit through a nice meal without having ants in their pants. Limiting all kids when not all of them are bad kinda sucks.

What I wish CCL would do is have the **lls to approach parents with kids that can't sit through a meal and ask them to calm the kids down or else they'll have to leave.

I agree but then again I don't....it's difficult. I wager there are some really cool kids out there that at a young age can sit through a nice meal without having ants in their pants. Limiting all kids when not all of them are bad kinda sucks.

What I wish CCL would do is have the **lls to approach parents with kids that can't sit through a meal and ask them to calm the kids down or else they'll have to leave.

that should not be restricted to kids. it should be anyone not acting acceptable.

Amen, hot tubs on ships disgust me! I call it "people soup". To me it's just a big, bubbling vat of germs and bacteria. I wouldn't go in one and I certainly wouldn't advise anyone to let their children go into one either. That's BESIDES the fact that excessive heat exposure for children can cause them to suffer things like heat stroke and heart palpitations. I've seen folks go into hot tubs with visible cuts, toenail fungus, and all manner of skin conditions.

There's not enough antibiotics in the world to make me go into one of those things on a ship!! :eek:

i love the cool folk who, against the rules, think it's ok to bring their drinks into the hot tub. and watch the "people soup" spit into their drinks. i had to walk aways while typing this just thinking about it.

Note I said that RCCL restricts them after a certain time. I think that the reservation has to be up to 7:00, but I could be wrong about the exact time. They still allow children anytime in the restaurants before that. That way people who wish to dine without the presence of smaller children can make a later reservation.

Archived