our Athens transportation experience

merryecho

Just back and thought I would post this for those worried about Athens transportation. It seems that, as is often reported on these boards, for every two SB employees who go out of their way to provide first class service, there is one who drops the ball.

I called SB 5 days before we left to ask if we could purchase transfers, as we were worried about taxi strikes. The very nice agent said that it wouldn't be necessary, there was no strike on and they got 24 hour notice of planned strikes, in which case they would call my TA and let me know about alternate transportation. In any case, if there was a strike, they would have a SB rep at the airport who would make sure we were taken care of. As we would be arriving on a Sunday I asked if they could take my cell number and call or text me directly, as the TA would be closed. She said that would not be possible.

What really happened

It turns out that not only was there a strike on when we arrived, it had been going continuously for 2 weeks. My TA says he never received a call from SB. On the other hand, there was a SB rep at the airport. She was waiting for someone who had purchased a transfer, but said there was no problem bringing us along. Would she have been there otherwise? I don't know.

I had cancelled our reservation at the GB when I read about the riots closing the hotel, and rebooked at the tripadvisor recommended AVA in the Plaka. I showed the agent where it was on a map I had brought, and asked her if the bus could drop us nearby. No, she said, we would have to walk there from the GB.

The bus drove within 50 feet of the hotel, where there was a large bus turnout, but the driver would not stop for us. That meant we had to Walk, one mile, lugging large bags (with a broken wheel), in 100 degree heat, to our hotel from the GB.

The next day we called to see if there was any way the bus could pick us up on the way to the ship- same answer, not possible. Our hotel managed to find a scalper who gave us a ride to the GB for 100 Euros!

Once we reached the ship we had a great cruise. Only downer was the room that smelled like an old ashtray. Wish they would designate non smoking rooms.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. That was an outrage. I hoped you have complained to Seabourn management. I too am concerned about the transportation situation in Athens, notwithstanding the statements tht the strike has ended. Seabourn also told me that in the event of any problem getting to the port (not the hotel) they would notify my TA, and I went ahead and booked private transport from the airport to the hotel and Seabourn transfers by private car to the pier. Although I was going to change my hotel reservation, I have decided to stay at the GB and was wondering if there was any trouble there.

Marcianne- good job on finding a private car company. All of the ones I contacted prior to our trip said they would honor the strike and wouldn't pick us up if the strike was on.

Just in case, depending on where your hotel is, if you get stranded the metro is a good option. It would actually have worked out much better for us, as there was a stop across the street from our hotel.

Not blaming SB entirely, they did have good intentions and did get us to town and to the ship. Again, it just seems that the ball often gets dropped along the way. Glad we are in good shape, I hate to think of an elderly couple being dumped like that.

We were in Athens in July when there were strikes. We used an outfit called http://www.************* or https://www.athensbytaxi.com. I got them from Trip advisor and we were very pleased. the driver spoke good English and they were very prompt in responding to my e-mails. They were at the airport to meet us and arrived 15 minutes early to pick us up at the AVA hotel. Also a trip advisor recommendation.

Have a wonderful trip.

Geri

Rye Cruiser

We stayed at the AVA too- since they came up with the 100 euro one mile ride for us, I can only guess the usual drivers were complying with the strike.

How was the AVA? Plus side- very clean, very nice staff, there are some nice restaurants just down the street, great breakfast. For some reason they brought a bottle of cheap champagne to our room, which we were not in the mood for so didn't open.

Minus side- since it is number one on trip advisor I think they have increased their prices beyond their value. It is a 3 star hotel, at $250 euro. And while it is in the Plaka, it is on the extreme edge, so it is a long walk to the acropolis, agora, and main restaurants.

You can stay at the GB for not much more- well worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

The Greek taxi strike was called off on Aug. 6. We arrived in Athens on Aug. 7 and had no problems. There are no more strikes planned until mid-September, after which it will be anyone's guess. As long as there are no strikes, it really is very easy to take a taxi from the airport to the city center (35 euros fixed price - just make sure to go to the official cab stand outside of the airport and don't trust anyone offering unsolicited taxi services), and even easier from the city center to the port. Our hotel (Athen's Gate - highly recommended) called the cab for us and cost was only 20 euros. I'd suggest you monitor the strike situation through a website like athensnew dot gr instead of trusting someone at Seabourn.

Archived