Teenage boys / dinning room footwear

Mommatron

There's a debate going on over on the RCCL boards about RC deciding that people had to pay to eat at Johnny Rockets. Finally, someone said something to this effect "Generally people on these boards get so much more upset (or a larger percentage get upset) over things like this than in real life" and someone else commented that they should post that on the next board they see regarding how to dress on cruises. I think thats a very true statement, we all have such strong opinions about it on this board, to the point where I thought I would be shunned for wearing jeans in the dining room. In real life/actually on the cruise, most people could care less what you wear or do. (Not saying that they should, or that they should not, just saying this is what I've noticed). So my whole point is, while you should carefully look at and take in advice given on this board, sometimes you should take it with a grain of salt. Also, think about how many 1,000s of members there are on CC, and then think about how many felt so indifferent about this subject that they didn't bother to post at all...

Show them what is expected of them and they are more than happy to go with the program.

I definitely agree with this. My DS has cruised every year since he was 7. Since that first cruise, he has worn a dark suit for formal night as did his 3 and 4 year old cousins. He NEVER asks if he has to wear a suit on formal night because he knows the routine and doesn't complain. This year he opted out of the second formal night to eat with his friends on Lido, which was fine with us. I think if they know from the start that it is the way it's supposed to be, and how important following rules in life is, then it doesn't become a problem.

Do what you want, but to say that just because someone does not think clothes made of duct tape being worn to a formal dinner is not appropriate, does in NO WAY make them stuffy, pompous, and narrow minded. There is a time and place for everything. I'm all for encouraging people to express their creativity... but there is an appropriate time and place. Would it be okay to wear this to a wedding? A funeral? A job interview? As I said, there are appropriate times...

Not bashing the OP at all.. I know it is trying raising teens, I was there in the not so distant past, so I know it is difficult... but I was also raised to know when I could and when I couldn't let my creativity run wild. Just my opinion :o

DUCT TAPE SCHOLARSHIP :D

Annual competition for couples attending a spring high school or home association prom whose attire and/or accessories are made from Duck brand duct tape. Applicants must be legal residents of the U.S. or Canada and at least 14 years of age. Selection based on workmanship, originality, use of category appropriate colors, accessories, and quantity of Duct Tape used. Entrants must submit photo of the couple together in prom attire, contact information of each entrant, signed release form, and contact information of school or home association hosting prom. Schools that host winning couples will also receive a cash award depending on which place the couple received.

2-132.gif

I think we are all mising the point here. Individualism is important. So why do all women have their ears pierced? Because everyone else does-Is it the thing to do? In some countires formal wear is kilts and Indian garb. Just as some wear tattos-others feel it is inappropriate. Where I work any facial hair (unless religious based) is against policy and due for dismisal.

Crap why does everyone have to be cookie cutter. I love to look at that person who stands out from the crowd and is not worried about what people think. Be comfortable in your own shoes or Converse!

Everyone has their own style of parenting. Just because some people pick different issues to stress does not make them "bad" parents. Nor do I think that letting the boy wear a duct tape tie sets this kid up to be a criminal later.

I will repeat...my son who has the lip piercings and who had the mowhawk is a wonderful person. I am positive he is going to go far in life. We had no "formal" night on the wonder but he wore a dress shirt, dress pants and a Disney tie..with brand new black Vans Shoes. He looked great.

I just do not understand why some of you imply that by not FORCING your kid to conform to THEIR standards of what is right or wrong makes you a bad parent. I wish I could meet the kid with the duct tape tie...I bet he would get a long great with my kids.

Am I missing something here? Did a post go poof in the night? I don't recall seeing anyone call someone a bad parent :confused: Everyone can have an opinion on this matter and it is simply that, an opinion. Nothing needs to be reiterated over and over again... everyone is just stating their OPINION ;)

I don't think it's a horrible thing to wear Chucks and a duct tape tie. Actually, I think it would be cool for the pictures, too! When you look at them years from now, you'll fondly remember all the quirky things your son did "way back when". :)

I think it will make dressing up a positive experience.....Something Fun, not something to dread.....

Heck........sure beats the torn blue jeans, belly shirts and Flip Flops I saw on formal nights on our recent cruise on Carnival Spirit...

Man, there were Flip Flops (and I mean plain ole dollar store flip flops) every night.

A couple of teen girls at a table near us, kicked theirs off at the table and crossed their legs showing their filthy feet every night

x

sure beats the torn blue jeans, belly shirts and Flip Flops I saw on formal nights on our recent cruise on Carnival Spirit...

Man, there were Flip Flops (and I mean plain ole dollar store flip flops) every night.

A couple of teen girls at a table near us, kicked theirs off at the table and crossed their legs showing their filthy feet every night

x

Oh, nice... :eek: Dirty feet in flip-flops is a big pet peeve of mine. Blech! Reminds me of so many girls at the malls with their bell bottoms dragging the floor and their platform flip-flops, dirty toes and all. *gag*

Now, see, in a situation like the one you described, that would be considered a case of not even trying.

The OP's son is going to wear a suit, so what if his tie doesn't come from a department store and he's got sneakers on his feet? I hope he does wear the tie and the Chucks! It's not like he's gonna show up to dinner in swim trunks, tie taped to his chest, and DIRTY FEET :p

Voyagerfl, duct taping your boobs is an old beauty pageant trick used before boob jobs were so common place.

I think the Chuck Taylors are inappropriate for the suit.

You are setting your son up for a lifetime sentence of bad taste:D

I'm taking 3 teenage sons on my cruise and duct tape ties with athletic shoes would be fine! One of my sons found the UGLIEST tie that he will be wearing with a dress shirt. Each to his own. They are good sons and will be eating dinner with me. I'm happy!

I ran this by my son who will be 30...he thinks that if the guy is polite, repectful and lets all the stares and stupid comments roll off his back...great! Why should others try to ruin what his family will allow. Let him be himself. When he has a kid and the rules are "pushed" I'm sure that formal night photo will get a LOT of mileage. A little side note...my foster son went to a thrift store and bought himself the most gawd aweful three piece suit and psychedelic paisley tie for his graduation outfit. Underneath his gown he looked like a cross between a circus sideshow barker and Elton John, but we figured what the heck...it was his graduation, he'd earned the right to wear anything he wanted under that gown. The pictures of my own son, him and all their friends are still a very cherished part of our family albums today. He has gone on to spend 6 years in the Army, wed, have 2 awesome little girls and holds a great job in the medical industry. He is a very unique young man that despite being a foster child has made something of himself and makes us proud to be his "parents". We gave our kids guidelines and let them make choices. I would be very happy to dine with this young man and his duct tape tie. He is unique and creative.

I think that the kid is making more effort to follow the dress code than a lot of adults do. He is wearing a jacket and tie, albeit a not so pretty tie. But, in his defense, my ds has a friend who makes things out of duct tape. Some of them are pretty clever. I do look at what everyone is wearing--not because I want to criticize, but because I love to see everyone dressed up and showing their own sense of style. This kid definitely seems to have that.

Tammy

When my nephew was 8 or nine years old he wanted to wear the beads (looked like giant silver rosary beads around his neck) that were in style at the time. My sister was against it and was so angry with him for wanting to wear it in his picture. Well, he took them to school and wore them for his picture. Everytime I look at that picture I can't help but think how cute he looked - the beads were so big and he was so little. She still feels bad to this day that she didn't want him to wear them. It is my favorite picture of him.:D

I'm getting tired of those who ask a question and then get offended when they don't get the answer they wanted. Why ask if you don't want to hear other opinions? ................

I was the OP and just for the record this is the ONLY post I've bothered to respond to. You see, I am not in any way offended by any of the responses. Thank you all for your opinions. That was all I was looking for. :)

I'm getting tired of those who ask a question and then get offended when they don't get the answer they wanted. .

I agree...and it's not just OP's who get upset by answers...other posters get upset by people's opinions as well.

I'm so tired of being labeled as a 'snob' because I prefer my family to dress nice on a cruise....AND

I'm also tired of posters who think they are better than others and say things like, "It's a Carnival Cruise, what do you expect? If you want class, cruise a luxury line"

Carnival has the same dress codes as the other mass market lines. Just because it's Carnival, and I sail Carnival does not make me a poor slob.

It amazes me that I can be a poor slob one minute and a snob the next.

I'm an upper middle class woman, who can only afford a mass market cruise at this point because I have kids that at the moment cost me quite a bit ;)

Just because Carnival (or mass market) is all I can afford, does NOT mean I should dress unappropriately OR think that it's OK if other people do.

As far as the duct tape tie...I actually have no strong opinion on that one because all I can think is that, although I wouldn't allow my kid to wear it, I must admit, that I'd like to meet this kid who made it. He must be quite the character!! ;)

Converse High Tops/All Stars = Chuck Taylors... You can call them Converse High Tops, Chucks, Chuck Taylors, etc... all the same thing. Chuck Taylor was the basketball player responsible for promoting, and contributing to the popularity of the shoes about 90 years ago, so they slapped the patch on the shoes, and they have been called "Chucks" ever since :D

Bo-Bo's!!! ;) :D

Originally Posted by GoinCruisin

Converse High Tops/All Stars = Chuck Taylors... You can call them Converse High Tops, Chucks, Chuck Taylors, etc... all the same thing. Chuck Taylor was the basketball player responsible for promoting, and contributing to the popularity of the shoes about 90 years ago, so they slapped the patch on the shoes, and they have been called "Chucks" ever since :D

We call those Felony Flyers around here.

I am sure that someone with pierced lips and a mohawk will go far in the business world.

"Can I take your order please?'

"Do you want fries with that?"

I'd turn around and walk out.

Archived