sunburn secrets??

seadancer

hi Gang

we are finally going snorkelng on our next cruise in march . What secrets to staying unburnt can you share??? We usually hide under the palms on the beach so this will be new.

We do plan on stopping in our local dive shop and getting properly equipped but thought you might be able to shed some light on the subject.

Thanks

I wear a black long sleeve nylon stretch pull over. I bought it at Kohl's in the section where they have active exercise clothes. They have them for both men and women, are light weight, and easy to get on -- and off when wet. Kohl's always has sales and coupons....they were very reasonably priced. They have some shirts with zippers and also pants in several lengths. I really burn, have very fair skin, but I don't bother with pants. I put a high count sunscreen sports spray on my legs (and back of my neck) about 20 min. before exposure and again as soon as I am out of the water. The shirt looks okay even if you wear it on the beach for sun protection; I often do just that, especially if I'm taking a long walk on the beach.

We are longtime divers. I used to use just a standard hat turned around backwards so it shaded my neck--learned that from a commercial diver. With the mask strap over the hat--it won't come off easily.

I now use a beanie or a windsurfer hood--it has a chinstrap--works great and helps keep me warm too.

If burned, use aloe vera liberally and often for several hours--next day, no burn............

I would agree with using coverings like neoprene dive hat, bandana, dive skin, etc. but I would ask that you avoid using sunscreen. It is very bad for the environment and kills the reefs. The better the sunscreen is at sticking to you, the worse it is for the coral.

If you must use sunscreen have a look at http://www.oceanfutures.org/about/collaboration/reef-safe-suncare.

Thank you,

Darrell

I couldnt get that to come up any ideas?

And look for sun screen for water sports. Don't apply till you get there. And have a great time in the water.:D

You should ALWAYS apply sunscreen at least 20 minutes prior to sun exposure - it takes that long to absorb into the skin, and 20 minutes is long enough to get a burn.

My daughter at 2 weeks old got sun poisoning when we went for a 1/2 hour (maybe even less) walk in the park. The older brother was getting stir-crazy staying in the apt. When we got home, and I took off her snow-suit, she had a red-moon face:eek: I thought to myself, it wasn't that windy out, that's why we chose that day. Well, when her face swelled and she couldn't open her eyes, I knew it was the sun. There were trees, granted no leaves, but she was in a carriage with a hood. Sadly, because she was an infant, there was nothing to do but put cold compresses on her face to try and relieve some of the pain.

So please use the 20 minute rule - and you should always reapply, especially if going in and out of the water a lot.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

If hats, T-shirts, and rash-guards aren't enough, use biodegradable sunscreen before going into the water if you need to, once you're done with gettin' wet, use a waterproof sunscreen (Neutrogena has a good one). I have found nylon/lycra athletic wear works just as good as any dive skin (similar to travelite's experience).

• 3 weeks later...

Another thing to think of, if you are just going to go with a t-shirt, go with a dark colored one rather than a white one. The dark coloring (black, dark blue, etc.) will absorb more of the sunlight and will help keep your core temperature up. Many people don't think about this early in the season and end up spending too much time in the water and become hypothermic. Then they get out of the water and go sit in the shade.

Once you are out of the water, get the wet t-shirts off and get warm. The best way is to put some sunscreen on and go sit in the sun (unless there is a hot tub nearby). You really increase your chances of getting sick if you get too cold.

ken

• 2 weeks later...

I always seem to fall victim to the burn that I call 'snorkel butt'. Even though I try to thoroughly cover my butt and thighs around the edges of my bathing suit it always shifts and I get weird butt burns :p

I can't be the only one, can I?

I just got back from a Caribbean cruise and snorkeled twice. I'm also very fair and will burn easily but I never do anymore.

I recommend Neutrogena Wet Skin sunscreen. It comes in both a spray and cream. Unlike regular sunscreen it goes on very easily on both wet and dry skin. It's very easy to reapply.

I wore a shirt over my swimsuit and made sure I got plenty of sunscreen on the back of my legs.

• 3 weeks later...

In case of a burn, I pack aloe gel that has lidocaine in it. The gel is usually blue in color. I put it in the cooler/fridge/ice bucket before I leave so it is nice and chilled if I need it when I come back.

Men and women should definitely remember their scalps. If hair is parted - perhaps in a pony tail but the bangs hang forward - and that is exposed to the sun it makes for a very unpleasant burn. I know, I've had it. :eek:

Bullfrog sunscreen - it's super water resistant and lasts all day, but it's not cheap. Though I also wear a wetsuit when I go diving, I can apply sunscreen in the morning and it lasts all day. But you have to apply it an hour before you go out. I am very fair skinned with blond hair, and I too reapply the stuff on my face and shoulders. However, I have gone diving and spent the better part of my time on the boat in the sun, and have never burned while using Bullfrog.

I have some hair conditioner with sunscreen that also spray on after I get out of the water - this keep my scalp from burning. But I also consistently wear a cap while in the sun. My dermatologist told me that one mistake people make with sunscreen products is they apply it and immediately go out into the sun. She told me that until the stuff "sets" into your skin, you are very susceptible to sunburn; that's why it is important to apply it an hour before sun exposure. Especially products that are waterproof. Until it is fully absorbed, it can partially wash off.

A note about sunscreen affecting the environment - if you apply it an hour before, it won't come off in the water. The problem is with people applying sunscreen at the beach or before swimming - with the stuff washing off your skin. The stuff that makes it waterproof is really bad, however, once it is absorbed into your skin, virtually none of it comes off.

• 5 weeks later...

My SOs dermitoligist told her to go to the tanning parlor about a month before going on the cruise. She starts with three min and builds her way up. It will not prevent a burn but tanned skin will allow her more short exposure times (going from store to store) without burning, she burns easily.

My SOs dermitoligist told her to go to the tanning parlor about a month before going on the cruise. She starts with three min and builds her way up. It will not prevent a burn but tanned skin will allow her more short exposure times (going from store to store) without burning, she burns easily.

WOW! That's really interesting... my dermatologist would never recommend going to the tanning salon! I get mildly chastised for not going out the door in the middle of winter without 85spf on. :p

(I'm going to slather in sunscreen every 2.5 minutes on my cruise.)

WOW! That's really interesting... my dermatologist would never recommend going to the tanning salon! I get mildly chastised for not going out the door in the middle of winter without 85spf on. :p

(I'm going to slather in sunscreen every 2.5 minutes on my cruise.)

I don't know where you live but here the sun is very intense, they figure that you cannot stay inside at all times, and while she does use makeup with SPF in it, it takes almost not time to burn here.

What I do is I apply my sunscreen when I first get up in the morning to get ready for my day in the water. I then re-apply when I first get there, then another coat between sessions. When I get out of the water I immediately dry off and apply, giving the sunscreen time to soak into my skin before we get back into the water.

Also, I have read that if you do get a sunburn, use green tea to help your skin. Use a washcloth soaked in tea that has been cooled in the refrigerator as a compress on your tender skin. It is said to instantly soothe your skin.

I have a long sleeved black tight fitting polyester turtleneck shirt I wear in the water along with some black thermax tights--I call it my poor man's wetsuit. This covers me up pretty well and also keeps me warm. My husband laughs at me, but I never get a sunburn and I was able to snorkel in Bermuda in 74 degree water without getting cold--I get cold very easily. Dark colors are better because they absorb the sun for warmth and provide better sun protection than light colors. White cotton shirts, especially when wet, have a very poor spf.

Sunscreen is great, but there are concerns about some of the ingredients, whether damaging to the underwater environment or bad for your skin in the long run. Using clothing as sunscreen makes a lot of sense.

People don't realize how much easier it is to burn here. You burn so much faster because we are so much closer to the equator.

Take it from a redhead with fair skin, do not go to a tanning salon. :eek: Use sunscreen. Use Neutrogena...it soaks in, doesn't have an odor and is non-greasy. It works wonderfully! I use it all the time to protect my over burned (in younger years), now sun sensitive skin!!!

If it weren't for me there would probably be at least one less dermatologist in town. I think I single handedly keep him in business. :o

Archived