sunburn secrets??

seadancer

hi Gang

we are finally going snorkelng on our next cruise in march . What secrets to staying unburnt can you share??? We usually hide under the palms on the beach so this will be new.

We do plan on stopping in our local dive shop and getting properly equipped but thought you might be able to shed some light on the subject.

Thanks

If you decide against the expense of a dive suit - take a long sleeved shirt that will protect your forearms and the back of your neck AND apply sunscreen before entry and in between swims. Best if it is stretchy and does not flap around and get inflated as you swim. The back of your knees is also vulnerable and the backs of your hands - some people wear light divers gloves, especially of they are allergic or could be to coral spores. I also include an after sun moisturiser. I have seen bald headed men (and women) wearing light swim caps for protection. Even in the shade there will be reflected light from all that sand so keep your shirt on or wear a cover up when resting between expeditions into the water - drink lots of water!

Colleen

I have had melanoma so I am now very careful with sun exposure.I now wear rash guards whenever I am diving or on the beach. I get mine from Land's End but you can buy them most anywhere.The Land's End models fit well so they don't balloon up and are 50 SPF for sun protection. I also wear a neoprene dive hat.Thank God my wife noticed that "little black bump" on my arm and insisted upon a doctor's visit ! Melanoma can be very bad news if not caught in time.

How about wearing something, suncreen, and hat. There is no reason not too. Having gotten back from a week and half in Hawaii it still amazes me the stupidity of those that get the lobster look :eek:

I do see more people wearing full cover in and outside of the water. Of course you could go whole hog and wear the hat, carry the umbrella too while out of the water :D

hi Gang

we are finally going snorkelng on our next cruise in march . What secrets to staying unburnt can you share??? We usually hide under the palms on the beach so this will be new.

We do plan on stopping in our local dive shop and getting properly equipped but thought you might be able to shed some light on the subject.

Thanks

We wear rash guards but you could also use a nylon tshirt like runners wear, they are cheap at Marshalls and they dry fast.

DH wears a bandanna on his head so he doesn't burn his scalp.

We wear rash guards but you could also use a nylon tshirt like runners wear, they are cheap at Marshalls and they dry fast.

DH wears a bandanna on his head so he doesn't burn his scalp.

How does he keep it on?:confused: We are looking into something for my DH and were wondering how to keep anything from slipping off and floating away. We have rash guards and would not leave home without them.

rash guards may be the way to go for me and the wife. They look comfortable

Rash guards are the way to go. :)

The material is nonabsorbent, either spandex and nylon or polyester. Beside UV protection, they offer some warmth and ward off the little stingy things.

There are both tight and loose fit shirts. Visit a local dive shop or sporting goods store to find a comfortable fit.

Tie it really tight, and put the strap of the mask over the tail in the back. If you get an unusual color it makes it easy to spot your DH in the water, too. Don't have any part of the mask over the bandanna on the forehead, the mask has to be on the face to get a good seal.

Tie it really tight, and put the strap of the mask over the tail in the back. If you get an unusual color it makes it easy to spot your DH in the water, too. Don't have any part of the mask over the bandanna on the forehead, the mask has to be on the face to get a good seal.

Thanks! I have a bright red one that should work.;)

well it looks like rash guarsd are in our future and maybe a bandanna for me. We've even been thinking a little bit about maybe a 3mm divesuit for warmth the reason being is here in Fla we can snorkel a lot of freshwater springs with an avg temp of 70deg . Thats cold i dont care who you are:D

I would agree with using coverings like neoprene dive hat, bandana, dive skin, etc. but I would ask that you avoid using sunscreen. It is very bad for the environment and kills the reefs. The better the sunscreen is at sticking to you, the worse it is for the coral.

If you must use sunscreen have a look at http://www.oceanfutures.org/about/collaboration/reef-safe-suncare.

Thank you,

Darrell

Hey guys, AHH SUNBURN! It truly is the worst thing in the world, especially in the South Pacific where the sun is so strong!

Okay, as well as a rash vest (this might be an Australian term to describe a tshirt of the neoprene type material that is thick and will protect you from the sun), I would suggest board shorts to the knee (it does a better job than those shortie short things). Don't put sunscreen on your face because a) your face will be in the water and b) if you do, your mask may not suction properly and will annoy you and water will seep into the mask. Though, remember to reapply when you finish snorkelling.

Sunscreen on the back of your neck, behind your ears, forehead (above where your mask will be), on your lower back (even if you are wearing a rash vest because it may ride up and I have gotten sunburnt along here and it is painful!), the back of your calves and feet.

It may sound a bit over the top, but time often gets away from your when you are looking at all the beautiful things underwater and you don't want to be worried about the sun!

Also, in case the worst does happen, bring an after sun spray that numbs as well as cools, I've found it is the best way of dealing with the pain.

Have fun! =]

I would agree with using coverings like neoprene dive hat, bandana, dive skin, etc. but I would ask that you avoid using sunscreen. It is very bad for the environment and kills the reefs. The better the sunscreen is at sticking to you, the worse it is for the coral.

If you must use sunscreen have a look at http://www.oceanfutures.org/about/collaboration/reef-safe-suncare.

Thank you,

Darrell

I just ordered some of the 45spf i will report back how good it is. Turns out the company is about 25 miles from me. I hope its really good as we spend a lot of time in our miata also . You can get a legendary burn from that just taking a nice afternoon cruise.

well I will pass along our family secret for sunburns . If you do happen to get a nasty sunburn go home take a shower and apply Appplecider vinegar to the affected areas. The next day you may be red but I promise a good portion of the sting will be gone. For some reason this only works if used within hours of the burn. The next day doesn't help. I know it sounds weird but i swear it works better than most store bought stuff.

well it looks like rash guarsd are in our future and maybe a bandanna for me. We've even been thinking a little bit about maybe a 3mm divesuit for warmth the reason being is here in Fla we can snorkel a lot of freshwater springs with an avg temp of 70deg . Thats cold i dont care who you are:D

We ordered dive skins from leisurepro.com ($25 + up). Also coolibar.com has rash shirts and pants.

A dew rag for your head. I even wear a hat with a chin strap. The Caribbean sun isn't forgiving.

Have fun!

• 3 weeks later...
I have had melanoma so I am now very careful with sun exposure.I now wear rash guards whenever I am diving or on the beach. I get mine from Land's End but you can buy them most anywhere.The Land's End models fit well so they don't balloon up and are 50 SPF for sun protection. I also wear a neoprene dive hat.Thank God my wife noticed that "little black bump" on my arm and insisted upon a doctor's visit ! Melanoma can be very bad news if not caught in time.

This is a great thread. I too was going to suggest rash guards. Dick's Sporting Goods sells decent ones and reasonable prices, if you don't have one nearby, their website is good for online ordering. Thank you for the suggestion of the dive hat. My father-in-law had melanoma that started on his ear and progressed into his brain. After surgeries and treatments, he is in remission but unable to get around like he used to. I wish more people would take skin cancer seriously.

We also order from Coolibar for sun-protection swimwear. I have a dive shirt and the women's swim tights (like bike shorts - stretchy/long, though I'm considering buying the longer swim tights). Very comfy for swimming and drys quickly, though we're going to the E. Caribbean in January and I'm considering lava skins for warmth.

Lori

Archived