Just back from AZ Quest-8/6-8/13 Croatia

360Guy

Hi,

We just returned from a wonderful week on the AZ Quest (1st time/not last time!) cruising the beautiful coast of Croatia. In summary it was the best cruise we've taken--not that we've been on dozens of cruises, but the crew, food and overall experience was very, very positive.

I'll be posting a review soon and will also put it on this forum. If anyone has any questions, please let me know. The worst part of the trip was having to get off the ship and fly through JFK in the middle of a huge summer storm that cancelled our return to Scottsdale--but we're home and now waking up at 1:30 a.m.!

Final comment--if you've been thinking/wondering about booking a cruise and you've been on larger ships like Holland or Celebrity and looking for a smaller ship focused on great food, customer service and interesting ports-give AZ a try. We're already looking at our calendar for summer 2012!

Ciao!:)

Hi-

We did all of the walking tours--make sure even if you don't want to do those types of tours to bring good walking shoes. There is a fair amount of walking anyway and steps FYI. The weather was great-but a little muggy in the afternoons--depending on what the weather is, prepare accordingly. They have a great self-service laundry that we used multiple times so don't overpack if you can help it--soap is included. Behavior in the laundry was also good--people would put your clothes in a basket on top of the washer if you didn't get back in time--

Recommend comparing the ship tour cost v local tours-but we used ship tours exclusively since they were 50% off when we booked. If you go leave from Venice read the roll call info from the 8/6 cruise if the ship leaves San Basilio quay--if you don't do the ship transfer you can take a vaporetto (#2) from the train station--the ticket booth is extremely friendly and helpful-

Favorites were Kotor, Korcula and Split--you can easily walk them without a tour and the ship port guides are well done. Remember that in some stops the euro is not the currency--some will take euro but not everyone-you can also use credit cards. The exchange houses from what we were told take a big commission in the conversion rate.

As far as JFK is concerned, I would just pray for good weather! When you get your bags after going through passport control, they may be able to re-route you there if there are earlier flights to your final destination-it always varies but we have had good luck getting a re-route when we are returning from an international location, but with the airlines today you never know. Hope all/some of this helps. I wish you a wonderful cruise!

We are booked on Quest November 17 from Venice to Athens with multiple stops in Croatia. We too would appreciate your thoughts and observations.

This is our first Azamara cruise, but we have sailed many times on Celebrity.

Dave

Dave, I have been to Dubrovnik a couple of times and went to Kotor for the first time this year. What a beautiful place that is. It's easy to walk around and if you are feeling energetic (you need to be) you can hike up to the fortress. The sail in and out are stunning, so depending upon what time that is make sure you have a good view. I was up at 5.30 to watch, but that was June when the day was long.

I've walked around the walls of Dubrovnik previously, but this time took the cable car up to the top for a wonderful view of the city. It costs 80 kuna ($16) round trip. The cable car station is next to the fire station and easily walkable. You should spend some time in the city centre too and maybe have a coffee or bite to eat at one of the many cafes.

I was on Solstice. I'm guessing Quest will anchor in the bay, which is a nicer spot and easier access to the city.

Phil

Phil, thanks for the info. We are planning on spending most of the day in Dobrovnik. We love to walk and do exploring on our own.

We have booked a short tour in Kotor so we should have time left to explore on our own.

Except for Venice, all the ports are new for us, so we are really looking forward to our first Azamara cruise.

Thanks again,

Dave

Just wondering if you had any contact with the sommeliers and if so was Bobin (Bob) there? He was terrific in April but was leaving in June to be married. Just wondering if he is back now? We are certainly spoiled now that we've cruised Azamara - looking to book another soon.

Phil, thanks for the info. We are planning on spending most of the day in Dobrovnik. We love to walk and do exploring on our own.

We have booked a short tour in Kotor so we should have time left to explore on our own.

Except for Venice, all the ports are new for us, so we are really looking forward to our first Azamara cruise.

Thanks again,

Dave

Dave, both Dubrovnik and Kotor are ideal for exploring on your own. I'm sure you'll have a great time. I could go back to either and that's a good sign, isn't it?

Phil

Archived