First time cruiser

Cashmeezy

hi everyone, i will be cruising for the first time on september 18th-25th on the Norwegian Gem from NY to Bermuda. So as expected, all of this is new to me and i'm trying to get as much info as i can. Here are a few of my questions.

I've read a few places that the ship charges $12 a day for gratuities, will i be able to pay that head of time?

My girlfriend is very interested in the spa pass for the entire week, I'm pretty sure i was told it was somewhere in the range of $100-$125, just needed to know for sure.

also i've been reading that sodas & such on the ship are very pricey, would it be possible to bring my own case of sodas on the ship? would i have to pay for it? or how does that work?

thank you so much.

hi everyone, i will be cruising for the first time on september 18th-25th on the Norwegian Gem from NY to Bermuda. So as expected, all of this is new to me and i'm trying to get as much info as i can. Here are a few of my questions.

I've read a few places that the ship charges $12 a day for gratuities, will i be able to pay that head of time?

My girlfriend is very interested in the spa pass for the entire week, I'm pretty sure i was told it was somewhere in the range of $100-$125, just needed to know for sure.

also i've been reading that sodas & such on the ship are very pricey, would it be possible to bring my own case of sodas on the ship? would i have to pay for it? or how does that work?

thank you so much.

We went on the Gem last year for the first time (first cruise ever for me!)

you can pay the $12 a day in advance. i just contacted my NCL cruise consultant and she sorted it all out for me and sent the reservation including payment for service charges.

We went to the spa for $99 each for the week. I think the day you get on the ship you need to go to the spa. I think its for the first 100 people on board -or so they say.

We didn't take any soda but we will this time because I have read posts that others have taken it on no problems. Might have a problem if you take water on in case they think you filled it with vodka!

Thank you for the information.

Also, im sort of confused with the times that i should arrive at the port or be able to get on the ship. The cruise leaves port at 5:00pm, but from what i've been reading i have to be on the ship 2 hours before which would be 3pm, but i also have to be there 2 hours before that for check in.. does that make sense to you? lol so im guessing i'd have to be at the port around 12:00-1:00.. would that be fine?

thank you so much.

NCL uses Pepsi products and I prefer Coke. I have brought my own on board, no questions asked. I have also brought water. I brought a case once but found it to be too much. I put a luggage tag on it and left it with my luggage to be delivered to the cabin. If I just bring a few I just put it in my luggage. They also have a soda package if you want to go that route.

You can bring your own soda on board without cost or a problem.

Some people carry it on; others bring a case and put a luggage tag on it and check it with their other checked luggage.

The Daily Service Charge is documented in your ticket contract.

Here is some info about the DSC from the NCL website:

What's the service charge?

Why is there a service charge?

The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports.

How much is the charge?

Onboard Service Charges are additional. A charge of $12 per person per day will automatically be added to your onboard account.

Are service charges across the board for all guests?

All guests 3 years or older.

How do I prepay my service charges?

Contact your travel professional and request that it be added to your cruise reservation. If you have not made final payment this will be included in your final payment amount or if final payment has already been made we will require full payment at the time it is added.

At what point in the booking process can the prepaid charges be added?

They can be added at anytime up to 24 hours prior to sailing.

Why would I prepay my service charges?

The convenience of pre-paying the service charges allows you to plan your budget prior to your cruise giving you additional freedom while on board.

If I cancel my cruise are the service charges refundable?

Yes! The service charges are 100% refundable.

If there is a service issue can the service charges be adjusted on board?

Guest satisfaction is the highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line. We have structured a guest satisfaction program designed to handle any concerns about service or on-board product quickly and efficiently. However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board guest services desk staff know right away, so that we can address these in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges.

You might find the NCL "FAQs" helpful for your other questions:

http://www2.ncl.com/faq

I've read a few places that the ship charges $12 a day for gratuities, will i be able to pay that head of time? You can prepay into your onboard account but you will still need to put a credit card down when you sign in at the pier .

My girlfriend is very interested in the spa pass for the entire week, I'm pretty sure i was told it was somewhere in the range of $100-$125, just needed to know for sure. Cant help here

also i've been reading that sodas & such on the ship are very pricey, would it be possible to bring my own case of sodas on the ship? would i have to pay for it? or how does that work? Bring as much pop as you'd like , No problem. We bring a 12 and supplement at the ports as needed.

thank you so much.

Have fun..

Also, im sort of confused with the times that i should arrive at the port or be able to get on the ship. The cruise leaves port at 5:00pm, but from what i've been reading i have to be on the ship 2 hours before which would be 3pm, but i also have to be there 2 hours before that for check in.. does that make sense to you? lol so im guessing i'd have to be at the port around 12:00-1:00.. would that be fine?

Only been on 2 cruises with NCL 3rd is booked. Generally speaking they want you on board at LEAST 1 hour before depature time. This, as I understand, is not an NCL requirement but, a requirement by th U.S. CoastGuard that ALL passengers must go thru a Muster Drill as to emergency proceedures should the ship need to be evacuated.

I have found it a good idea to try and be in line around noon if possible as there will be upwards of 2,000 guests anxious to get on board.

Most cruise ships try and do a complete turn-around in about 8 hours. That is....unloading previous (2,000) guests AND their luggage and Up-loading new guests and THEIR luggage. Lot of logistics envolved here and I don't know how they accomplish it (while in the meantime they are adding $500,000 worth of fuel)

Long story short.....the earlier the better cause you're gonna wait anyway.

Just my $.02

Oh ya.....to answer your question 12:00 to 1:00 should be fine. Sorry.

We like to make the most of our first day on board and arrive at the port fairly early, yes, 10 - 10:30. They usually don't start boarding until 11 but the time in line goes fast since everyone ends up chatting with eachother. You will not be able to get to your cabin until 1 but you can go to the buffet or the main dining room for lunch, tour the ship, sit by the pool, swim. The MDR is less crowded and you get served as opposed to cafeteria style.

$12 is per person per day, so for 2 of you it will be $24 a day - some people misunderstand those charges.

The boarding process takes time, it's usually from 11 am, so you can come early, get on the ship, and have lunch in the buffet or in a restaurant that is "free".

Archived