Advice

divechick

Just found this area on CC and so glad that I did. The DH and I are cruising on the Summit in Feb and want to do some diving I have been my OW cert for 2 year with about 25 dives the DH just cert a few weeks back. We are going to Barbados, St Lucia, Antigua , St Marteen and St Thomas. Thinking of Diving Barbados , St Lucia, St Thomas are these good choice since the DH is such a new diver. Any suggestions on who to use as far as oprators go. Also could use some advice on wet suits we both have skins, 3mm as well as 7mm. I know the 7 mm is way to hot for the warm water I was thinking 3mm but have heard a skin should be fine. Any suggestons would be great.

Thanks Teri and Steve

Just found this area on CC and so glad that I did. The DH and I are cruising on the Summit in Feb and want to do some diving I have been my OW cert for 2 year with about 25 dives the DH just cert a few weeks back. We are going to Barbados, St Lucia, Antigua , St Marteen and St Thomas. Thinking of Diving Barbados , St Lucia, St Thomas are these good choice since the DH is such a new diver. Any suggestions on who to use as far as oprators go. Also could use some advice on wet suits we both have skins, 3mm as well as 7mm. I know the 7 mm is way to hot for the warm water I was thinking 3mm but have heard a skin should be fine. Any suggestons would be great.

Thanks Teri and Steve

Both the War Department (a.k.a. Mrs. B.) and I are divers and we dive the Caribbean every year, primarily the eastern and southern Caribbean. Because of our repsective work schedules we can only go in December. We have found that a diveskin is sufficient for us consequently we don't even bring our 3/2 wetsuits along anymore. Everybody is different but anything over 3mm is overkill IMHO.

Of the ports you listed I would make diving in St. Lucia a priority. Do Superman's Flight and the Pitons. We go with Dive Fair Helen when there and alwasy with good results. They also provide a really good lunch.

After St. Lucia you have a lot of average diving islands. Barbados would be my number 2 choice followed closely by St. Thomas. On St. Thomas we went with Underwater Safaris. They did a good job. Bear in mind that these ports aren't ho hum ports but they don't compare well with St. Lucia, Curacao.

Hope this is helpful. Enjoy that next cruise and the diving.

:):):)

Dove in both St. Maartens and St. Thomas last December with just the bathing suit. Found the water to be just nice, but it may be a little cool to some. Our divemaster found it cold but he lives there.

Thanks Teri and Steve

Hi Teri,

All three ports would make for good diving regardless of dive level. They all have a good range of dive sites. You just want to make sure the dive operator knows your DH's experience.

The water will be cool in February. Remember that your body likes to be a constant 97F. Even the warmest Caribbean water is going to be around 85F. In February the water could be as cool as 75F. In the peak of the summer the water in the St. Lawrence gets to 75F. I dive it in a 7mm wetsuit and find it comfortable. The difference between the St. Lawrence in August and St. Thomas in February is the surface air temperature. The temperature above water will greatly affect the wetsuit you wear. In the Caribbean, just gearing up and walking to the edge of the boat (especially if there is a line up) can result in you getting overheated. Add to that jumping into cool water and it could be a recipe for disaster.

For cruise diving I find I usually get in 2 dives per port and might get in 20 dives on a 14 day cruise. I usually average 60 minutes in the water per dive. I find I'm a little chilled with a 3mm but it is bearable. If I was doing 4 or 5 dives a day I'd definitely need a 5mm or 7mm. I've also seen some people dive 3mm but with a hood. Mind you, I've also seen people diving in a bathing suit.

The waters are cooler in February compared to December. I am fine with a skin and 3mm shorty but DH gets cold easliy and wears a 5mm, sometimes with a vest and hood, when we have been diving the Caribbean in January thru March. A few times I have been chilly on the boat but not underwater. If I have room I usually take my 5mm full just in case. The Caribbean water temps don't seem to be as variable as the Pacific; we always go to Cabo or PV in November and the water temps have been anywhere from mid 80's to low 70's.

Definitely try St Lucia.

Island Divers associated with the Ti Kaye Resort is worth a look. I thought their dive package was a good value: $140 for round trip boat transfer from cruise pier to the resort, 2 tank dive, lunch and use of beach facilities.

Archived