RCCL Seattle Alaska Cruise Question

Why does RCCL only do 3 ports on the Rhapsody Ship when all others do four?

I think it has something to do with leaving from Seattle. When I went on Carnival Spirit May of '10 (round trip from Seattle) we only stopped at Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan as well.

Maybe someone can give you a better answer ... but just wanted to throw my theory out there.

(Super excited about seeing Alaska again in 2 weeks!! ... Get to go to

Icy Strait Point (Hoonah) as well :D)

I have wondered that myself. When went on the Vision round trip from Seattle, we went to four ports - Juneau, Skagway, Icy Strait Point and Victoria. On the Rhapsody a couple of years later, we went to Juneau, Skagway and Prince Rupert Island. There was a trip to the Sawyer Glacier/Tracy Arm Fjord and I am guessing they consider that to be the fourth destination. However, our journey there was very early in the morning so that day actually felt very much like a sea day to me. We hugged the coast line closer on the Vision cruise too -- on the Rhapsody, we were out at sea more. I did prefer the first cruise from Seattle more than the second.

When I went on Carnival Spirit May of '10 (round trip from Seattle) we only stopped at Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan as well.

Are you sure there was not one port stop in Canada, however brief, to satisfy "Jones Act"? I think they must have at least a short stop at Victoria, Vancouver or Prince Rupert Is. when sailinf from Seattle.

Seattle is far enough south that the time required for cruising Puget Sound and often the Strait of Juan de Fuca deducts from making another port stop. More sea days, less ports. Also itineraries that include Hubbard glacier can reduce a port stop.

I think it has something to do with leaving from Seattle. When I went on Carnival Spirit May of '10 (round trip from Seattle) we only stopped at Skagway' date=' Juneau and Ketchikan as well.

[/quote']

If Carnival offered a round trip cruise out of Seattle, then there would have to be at least one stop in Canada.

For the first time ever, Carnival Cruise Lines will operate a schedule of seven-day Alaska cruises round-trip from Seattle beginning in May 2010.

In total, 17 week-long Alaska cruises will operate from the Port of Seattle from May 11 to Aug. 31, 2010 departing Tuesdays aboard the 2,124-passenger Carnival Spirit.

Port calls on these voyages include the popular Alaskan destinations of Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan, as well as Victoria, Vancouver Island, and cruising Tracy Arm Fjord.

http://carnival-news.com/2009/03/11/carnival-cruise-lines-2010-alaska-voyages-to-operate-round-trip-from-seattle/

It appears that the Carnival Spirit did go to four ports last year.

If Carnival had not stopped in Canada, the cruise would be a violation of the Passenger Vessel Services Act (aka PVSA) - not the Jones Act.

Passenger Vessel Services Act (aka PVSA) - not the Jones Act.

That's why I put "Jones Act" in quotes. Even the RCI web site acknowledges that most people refer to the PVSA that way. Sure , not good to perpetuate a misconception but better to go with what most people understand. Thanks for the clarification.

As to when is best...

Each season has advantages.

May-June: usually (not always) more rain and low clouds. But waterfalls are a lot better.

Late-June to mid-July: Solstice time. Long daylight hours.

Late-July to mid-Sept: Usually (but not always) the driest months and temps usually a little warmer

Late-Sept to end of season: Pineapple express weather pattern starts up pushing moisture up against the mountains and making rain. But tree colors (for the ones that change) can be great. Especially vine maple on hillsides.

Just for reference, DCL also only did the same three ports plus Tracy Arm. Just got off the ship this week and the weather was outstanding. Early August, only rained a little in Skagway in the morning, sunny in Juneau and just a little cool in Ketchikan. Also overcast at Tracy Arm with a little rain but not enough to affect the views.

Some releatives of mine did the same itinerary on RC just a few weeks earlier and complained that it was a bit cold, but still great.

It's Alaska and it rains A LOT there. I don't think it matters a whole lot which week you sail. Just GO. It is amazing!

As for sailing out of Seattle vs. Vancouver ... from what I understand the port in Vancouver is charging more than they used to. Not sure if that is true or not, but apparently it is causing some ships to change to embarkation from Seattle.

Also, the entire customs process is easier if you are originating from the US.

I have wondered that myself. When went on the Vision round trip from Seattle, we went to four ports - Juneau, Skagway, Icy Strait Point and Victoria. On the Rhapsody a couple of years later, we went to Juneau, Skagway and Prince Rupert Island. There was a trip to the Sawyer Glacier/Tracy Arm Fjord and I am guessing they consider that to be the fourth destination. However, our journey there was very early in the morning so that day actually felt very much like a sea day to me. We hugged the coast line closer on the Vision cruise too -- on the Rhapsody, we were out at sea more. I did prefer the first cruise from Seattle more than the second.

UGH - That blows my theory ... Not only that, I stopped in Victoria too. I completely forgot :p (I guess because I didn't get off the ship because I had been before and it was such an odd time ... just to fill the requirement)

Doesn't Disney cruise out of Vancouver? If that's the case, there's no need to stop in a Canadian port to satisfy the Passenger Vessel Services Act.

This year, yes. Next year they will sail out of Seattle and will add a stop in Victory BC. That stop is only about 4 hours though and it is late in the evening.

Just returned from first cruise... to Alaska on Rhapsody of the Seas.

In my opinion... the three stops were perfect...

I enjoyed my days at sea just as much as the days at the ports...

If I were to change anything.. I wouldn't be in such a hurry to get off at the ports and just have a relaxing morning as usual then get off about 10amish... as we had more than enough time at each port and even came back with about 2 hours of waiting until we took off each time... but we were on a budget too and only could take one tour while off the boat... and since we were not shopping so much (as there are sooo many shops it is almost overwhelming at first) we were ready to go back to what felt like home to us (our boat) and relax and have some drinks and more food and continue the pampering treatment we were enjoying...

happy sailing...

Archived