Athens

Day Nine!:eek:

We wake up in Holbrook Arizona to this amazing morning in the courtyard of the Wigwam Motel:

Arizona2HotelWigwam2.jpg

You can see the courtyard on the right, with all the individual wigwam rooms and the classic cars parked all around - just as they were 60 years ago when they opened.

Then on the left, you can see our specific wigwam room with our little bench outside where we watched the stars and had our late night picnic the night before!

So we pack up, and are sure to leave the key on the door - just like the wonderful owner lady asked us to do...

Arizona3HotelWigwam3Key.jpg

What strikes me at this moment, is that we are in a modern American historical place (1950s), that has a little museum with artifacts from the early American West (1800s through early 1900s)...

And we are now about to go to a place that has artifacts from 225 million years ago!

All in this one little space on the planet!

And we head out to one more crazy kitschy historical Route 66 thing nearby - before driving the rest of the way through Northern Arizona!;)

Hi there, has anyone got any views on travelling into Athens. We had planned to walk to Metro and D.I.Y., but I see that Thomson does an excursion, basically a lift into Athens for £16 per person, I know that a Taxi would be difficult to get. Is the walk from ship to Metro really about 25 minutes, we have friends with us that don,t like to walk too far !!:rolleyes:

We are not planning on going on many excursions unless I here of one that is just too good to miss. Only 4 weeks to go. tickets have arrived, Happy Days. :D

We walk briskly and it's a good 15 minute walk for us - for slower walkers perhaps 20+ mins would be realistic but it is a level walk - not too appealing though and seemed much further to us the first time we did it than on other occasions (perhaps because we weren't sure where we were going and got a bit anxious about how long we'd be walking!)

We've never done a Thomson transfer but at £16 I suppose that's not too bad - taking into account the situation in Greece (flash strikes etc) and the fact that taxi drivers have you over a barrel in those situations. Not sure what a taxi into Athens would cost (cheaper of course for four of you) but my guess would be that they'd charge plenty!

Have a good trip.

Hi there,when we were in Athens in July there was no shortage of Taxis at the port.We paid 30 euros to go into the city from Piraeus(15 per couple)then came back on the metro for just over an euro each.Its a good 25 minute walk at a leisurely pace from the metro to the port.You could always take another Taxi from the metro to the port which I aimagine wouldnt cost that mutch.

Thanks for your replies, we had read that taxi drivers were not keen on just taking you into Athens, they would prefer to provide longer excursions. At £64 for 4 people the Thomson transfer works out a bit more expensive, but may be worth it, at least we wouldn,t have to look for Taxi back to ship. :eek:

P.S. Hi Big Chick, We booked on-line so maybe your tickets will be a few days later, as they will go to T.A. first.

Archived