Eagle Beach Juneau

karatemom2

For our cruise next summer we are looking at getting off the beaten path a bit more in some of our ports. In Juneau we plan to rent a car and explore outside of town. Can anyone tell me a little bit about Eagle Beach? It is a nice place to hike and picnic?

It is nice with fine views of the Lynn Canal on clear days. You need your own car. It is about 27 miles north of downtown Juneau on the Glacier Highway.

Often very good wildlife sightings. It is also fun to drive as far as you can go on the road (not far at all) to see why Juneau can be gotten to only by sea and air.

We were just at Eagle Beach last week - returned home from our fantastic 14 day cruise very late last night. The river is running thick with salmon, the eagles were everywhere - in the trees, on the beach, in the water. The scenery was spectacular, it was so nice and peaceful there, wish we had packed a lunch to enjoy more time there. You will love it!

We were just at Eagle Beach last week - returned home from our fantastic 14 day cruise very late last night. The river is running thick with salmon, the eagles were everywhere - in the trees, on the beach, in the water. The scenery was spectacular, it was so nice and peaceful there, wish we had packed a lunch to enjoy more time there. You will love it!

Sounds amazing. We will be there in early August next year on the same 14 day Amsterdam cruise and can only hope we have the same great experience. I am looking forward to reading all of your reports about your cruise to help me plan for next year. We are so excited about the itinerary!

Oh karatemom, you are in for a treat! Go to the Roll Calls and click on the link for our cruise Aug. 5th - I posted a bit more detail there about our excursions. Once time permits and this jetlag goes away, I intend to post a full review either here or on the HAL boards, as I'm sure others from our cruise will as well. This itinerary is truly perfect and I think you will enjoy the Amsterdam, smaller ship, easy to get around and as I said, a fabulous crew. Will watch your excitement build over the coming months as it was for us last year and me again this year. I'm having withdrawal now because the planning was such a huge focus for me for so many months. And the trip did not disappoint - worth every minute of planning and every penny spent. Enjoy!

I'm pulling for you to make this 14 day itinerary, Penny, because you will just love it! I'd rate this trip a 10 - just 1/2 a point down from last year simply because I didn't get to share this one with DH. He was a trooper though, stayed home to hold down the fort and take care of our dog, Piper. Next time, he'll be with me and I know it will be perfect once again!

This itinerary will be perfect for you since y6ou have so much Alaska knowledge and familiarity with the ports - you'll be well suited for some amazing touring opportunities that no one else will know about. Wishing you a speedy retirement - or better still, a BIG lottery win to make that retirement date move up on the calendar! You go, girl!;)

AIP, I hope that HAL keeps doing this trip!

The truth is that when I'm traveling I usually go off on my own and seldom pay for tours, especially when I know the area.

You know that I don't pay to see bears!

I travel for the experiences and for the memories. Sometimes I just sit down and watch the world go by. I take my time and just soak up as much as I can.

You have sailed up and down Cook Inlet twice and I never have done that.

Thanks for the encouragement. I have the money put aside for the trip and now just need the time.

Of course you know that I would have to do the 14 day RT and then fly back to Alaska for a visit or my name would be ......... well you know.

Archived