Jeans at dinner on the Dawn?

Sail Happy

I am sailing on the Dawn next Sunday 4/3 and was wondering what NCL's dress code policy is for dinner. The last time I was on the Dawn (11/04) it seemed that they weren't allowing anyone wearing jeans in the dining rooms. Lately I've seen some postings about people (mostly teens) wearing jeans in the dining rooms and I'm curious if that rule can now be "bent."

Thanks!

Regardless of what others may or may not do if NCL has a written policy that no jeans allowed in mainDR in the evening then you should be courteous and polite and abide by their suggestions. It's your cruise not someone elses.

The fact they don't get it, you do because you have asked. Bending the rules you take the chance of being stopped at the door. It does happen more often than not. They tell you before you pack no jeans, they tell you again in the daily paper you get the night before why would you? These boards represent less than 5% of the people that will be cruising with you. It's funny how many will say they don't care what others are wearing yet they don't mind discussing it here as if to say they did notice it. Trust me you will be noticed by someone that you "bent" the rules wearing jeans.

Last April we took our 7 yr. old grandson to LeBistro, and did not notice that my daughter had dressed him in a nice pair of khaki shorts and a golf shirt. When he returned from a trip to the rest room, a waitress asked us to keep him seated to the rear of our table so other guests could not see his short pants. We certainly understood, and had no problem with it, but mention just to let you know our experience on the dress code.

Two years ago we returned late from an NCL bus excursion to Disney. There had been a bus related problem, and it was nearing closing time at the restaurants. Before going to our room, we checked at Venetian, and they said they would stay open for us. The hostes told everyone that the women could stay as is in shorts, but the men would have to change. I did not understand that one!! We had about 25 people there from the bus, and everyone ese in the restaurant was finishing up.

I was simply inquiring if the rules for dining room attire had been modified--I was not looking to "challenge" the authority of NCL to impose whatever dress code it pleases.

This just goes to show how touchy this topic is for some posters. Just bringing it up sometimes fires up the "flame jets".

I was simply inquiring if the rules for dining room attire had been modified--I was not looking to "challenge" the authority of NCL to impose whatever dress code it pleases.

I may have started this rumor. I posted that he sign (what not to wear) in front of Venitian did not have the "J" word in it niether did the Freestyle Daily include the "j" word except on formal nights on my Feb 10th Dawn 10 day.

Everthing on NCL.com still says no "J" word after 5:30

Your guess is good as mine. I did not see anyone in the dinning room in them any night.

I was just on the 3/20 sailing of the Dawn, and I must say that jeans were EVERYWHERE in the dining rooms. Personally, I did not like this to much. However, as ShoreGuy said, none of the signs in front of the restaurants say "No Jeans", nor did the Freestyle Daily. After seeing the number of jeans that were allowed into ALL of the dining rooms, I can only assume that NCL has changed their "No jeans" policy. However, it seems if you give an inch, people take a mile. Many people wearing jeans seemed to be dressed rather inappropriately in my opinion.

Last July on the Sun to Alaska, passengers were finding out that on Embarkation day, one of the dining rooms would let you where jeans and the other one would not. Usually the day you get on is very casual. Who has time to dress up. Some get on the ship just before they sail. I guess the dining room that would allow you to wear jeans was the no reservation one and the one that would not let you where jeans was the reservation one. This gets very confusing as you don't know the layout of the ship and both dining rooms should have the same policy.

I must be an old fuddy-duddy.. I can see where men desire to wear jeans as most of them wear them to work and play.. But I can't see why so many women want to wear them.. Jeans disguise a shapely body. They are hot, and when you eat too much they don't give at the waist.. My jeans all stay home in lieu of more comfortable clothes.. [but I did laugh when I saw another jeans thread] You can't wear jeans and you can't wear shorts in the resturants after 5:00pm. Now that is a subject I could passionate on.. Shorts,, they are my all time most comfortable. My shorts are nice and expensive, why can't I wear them after 5:00? [whine, whine] Just kidding people:p

Thanks for the input, everyone. I pretty much assumed the rules for the dress code hadn't changed, but I figured I'd just ask. I'm surprised this was such a "touchy" subject! :confused:

Sail Happy,it`s your cruise..have fun and remember,there are miserable people everywhere...

We are just back froml the 3/20 Dawn sailing. On formal night we went to the Venetian in a Tux (hubby) and gown and sequins (me). They were seating a guy who was wearing jeans. I asked if the the policy had changed and she said they had gotten so many comments "it's my vacation and I'll dress as I please" that they had changed the sign at the door so that it does not mention jeans...but..she said the sign with "no jeans" is still out there UNDER the one presently shown. I felt it was an insult to the lovely Venetian dinning room to arrive in jeans for dinner and it sure looked funny to see tuxes and jeans at adjoining tables.

We are just back froml the 3/20 Dawn sailing. On formal night we went to the Venetian in a Tux (hubby) and gown and sequins (me). They were seating a guy who was wearing jeans. I asked if the the policy had changed and she said they had gotten so many comments "it's my vacation and I'll dress as I please" that they had changed the sign at the door so that it does not mention jeans...but..she said the sign with "no jeans" is still out there UNDER the one presently shown. I felt it was an insult to the lovely Venetian dinning room to arrive in jeans for dinner and it sure looked funny to see tuxes and jeans at adjoining tables.

I know they removed the "j" word even in the Daily but not for formal night in the formal dining room. Now if you ate in another dinning room I would understand the jeans. Still don't think it is the right dress but everyone has a different view.

on the spirit it only said "no torn jeans" which would imply you can wear jeans and many people did. they all looked quite nice, mostly younger passengers, was not offended. we're from florida so casual attire is pretty commonplace. also casual attitude while cruising helps.

Thanks for the input, everyone. I pretty much assumed the rules for the dress code hadn't changed, but I figured I'd just ask. I'm surprised this was such a "touchy" subject! :confused:

This is a touchy subject because thankfully most folks do not feel like cruising with a subway car full of people heading to the Bronx on a Saturday morning.

How's that for some flame?

Sorry, I did not mean to imply that the perople were not interesting nor nice. I was trying to paint a word picture of the dress level. Unfortunately, I seem to have arrived on this earth over 65 years ago having come from another time when dressing up was the norm not the rare exceotion. I live in an old mill town and in the library are two "Town Day" photos. one from around 1902 and the other from 2002. In the 1902 photo evryone is either in a nice dress or a suit and back then 100% of the town worked in the mills. In the 2002 photo there is but one single man in a blazer and tie and no ladies in dresses.and the town has a mix of 50% blue and 50% white collor residents. Seems that the more prosperous we become as a nation the less we want to appear prosperous. But then my definition of "resort casual "is a blue blazer, linen slacks and a nice shirt with a club tie. Sorry but I was born that way and I know I am totally out of step with the vast majority of Americans.

Interesting "thread" on "threads". I usually have the consideration to buy some new black levi's for a cruise for "formal" nights, Heck with a Banana Rebublic lenin shirt and a wool sport coat and silk tie it sure costs more and looks better than a "rent a costume" or the awful poorly, tailored tuxedos I've seen on cruises. Maybe they could put up a sign saying "no cheap JC Penny suits or poorly tailored tuxedos and make sure your cocktail gown fits like it did when you bought it." Just a thought.......John from NM

It's impossible to ever reach a consensus when the topic is dress. It's especially difficult when a cruise line like NCL decides to promote Freestyle as its mark of distinction. "Resort casual" can only be defined to a certain degree. I believe that we, as cruisers, are supposed to infer that the bottom line is to dress in a "presentable" way. Unfortunately, that term can be stretched to mean virtually anything.

Dress, fashion and appearance are forever changing. In general, it will always be a generational dispute. Plus, it's strongly influenced by popular culture. From men not wearing undershirts because of Clark Gable, to men not wearing hats outdoors because of JFK, to long hair because of the British invasion, to mohawk dos because of punk rock, to girls wearing racy outfits because of everyone from Madonna to Britney, to tattoos and body piercings because of I don't know what.

Freestyle dress is one major reason why I prefer NCL. Optional formal night means exactly that to me. I opt not to dress up but I certainly don't begrudge anyone else that option. Anyone booking a Freestyle cruise should know in advance that there will be a mixed crowd throughout the ship on formal night, including the dining rooms if their particular ship has not designated a formal dining room.

Forgive me in advance for my opinion.

I have not worn jeans to dinner on any of my cruises and I do not plan on wearing jeans on my next Dawn cruise. With that said, I can't imagine why anyone would be offended if someone was at the next table to them who had jeans on. I do not spend my dinner looking at what the next person has on. My companions and my food are what counts.

Jeanne

Archived