Wedding dress as formal wear?

nmlmom

My sister wore hers on her honeymoon cruise but the style of the dress is the key. The dress was a beaded lace sheath with long sleeves and a v back. It has a long train that completely detatched. With out the train it looked like and very elegant formal, with the train it looked like a very elegan wedding dress.

Sister-in-law did too, but her dress was actually kind of an off silver colored formal from a department store, not a wedding dress, 1st wedding at 38, she didn't want to look like a 25 year old.

My dress would never work as a cruise formal as it was more of a Vienese Ball gown type dress with a train.

If it is your wedding day, yes by all means wear your dress back on boad the ship. It's your Day!!!!

We're getting married in port at the Bahamas, on the beach. Shortly after the wedding we plan on going back to the ship for dinner.

I haven't picked a dress yet, but I think it will be something like this: http://morilee.com/DressDetail.aspx?C=2&D=8902&P=1

I am pretty sure when we're at port in Nassau, dinner is a formal night. We were definitely planning on keeping our wedding clothes on to be able to get formal pictures taken again in our wedding garb.

If it turns out not being a formal night, is it tacky for us to keep the wedding clothes on? This dress is almost semi-formal so I think it might be okay... any opinions?

Definitely wear it! Whether or not it's formal night...it's your WEDDING NIGHT!

• 1 month later...

Hello, I dug up this older thread while trying to find an answer to my question. Im geting the idea I shouldnt wear a wedding dress. My husband and I are going to renew our wedding vows on the Carnival Miracle. We were married in a courthouse and I never had a real "wedding" or dress. Picking out my dress was a big deal to me as I did not have one before. It is a traditional wedding dress and there is no mistaking it! The train is detachable and I would not wear a veil .It is so beautiful and would mean so much to me to wear it. I would hate to feel out of place though. So, what do you all thinK?:confused: Honestly.

Thanks in advance

Hello, I dug up this older thread while trying to find an answer to my question. Im geting the idea I shouldnt wear a wedding dress. My husband and I are going to renew our wedding vows on the Carnival Miracle. We were married in a courthouse and I never had a real "wedding" or dress. Picking out my dress was a big deal to me as I did not have one before. It is a traditional wedding dress and there is no mistaking it! The train is detachable and I would not wear a veil .It is so beautiful and would mean so much to me to wear it. I would hate to feel out of place though. So, what do you all thinK?:confused: Honestly.

Thanks in advance

Are you renewing your vows that day? Then wear the dress. This can be your reception and you are the bride. This is not you wearing a wedding dress as formalwear this is you celebrating your wedding! It may not be the day you are legally married but it will be a great day of celebration and if anyone asks tell them "I am a bride". I would be thrilled to sit at your table with you in your lovely dress.

As for feeling out of place. Tell anyone who says one word to bite you. Honestly! This is your day Autumn. :)

I am getting married in January (cruise the next day) and just had to share the dress with ya'll. I am wearing a red bolero jacket with it also. Since it will be cold and I have a scar on one arm I need to cover up a bit. My dress is in ivory/red instead of the white/red pictured. I may or may not bring it along on the cruise. It is very comfortable to wear, I look really good in it and I just want to wear it again. However I may just wear one of my other formals instead. I am definately going to bring my silver lace one for one of the nights.

http://www.davidsbridal.com/bridal_gowns_detail.jsp?stid=1204&prodgroup=10

Keksie:

It is lovely and I am glad you are on an earlier cruise because I bought an almost identical dress, only instead of white w/red mine is black w/white trim and on the front of the dress there are embroidered flowers (in a white/silver) tone. I got a great deal on it at Carson's and in black it looks nothing like a wedding dress - it also doesn't have a train(same length all the way around). But the dress is very flattering as the lace back allows for size adjustments as needed. I am wearing it for my first cruise. Now I have two more fomal nights to plan for and will tone it down a bit - I am waiting for the holiday/new year dresses to come out. And hopefully I can get a deal on the after holiday sales.

Thanks in advance

My husband and I did the same thing for our 10 year anniversary. We had a very inexpensive casual wedding but I wanted a chance to wear a white dress for our renewal of vows. It isn't a traditional wedding dress but when I walked down the hall a young boy said, look Mom a pretty bride. It made my day!! You absolutely deserve to wear the dress you want!

Here are some pictures.

http://community.webshots.com/album/287844401xXEdoA

Keksie,

The gown is quite lovely. You will be a beautiful bride!

I had considered a red gown for our wedding this summer...but my sister had such a fit, I reconsidered so that she would not be glaring at me in all of the photos :p

I love your idea of having the red and ivory though!

Best wishes,

~e

My husband and I were married in St. Thomas on the 4th day of our RCCL cruise last year. The next night was formal night and we wanted to get pictures of all of us in our bridal gear. I wore my dress, hubby wore his tux, maid of honor and best man both wore there stuff too... it was great for the pictures and a lot of fun too. My dress was NOT a traditional ball gown. It was a simple ivory sheath dress and I loved getting another wear out of it. I say go for it. It's your trip and you can wear whatever you want. Enjoy your wedding and your honeymoon.

Congrats!!!

Are you renewing your vows that day? Then wear the dress. This can be your reception and you are the bride. This is not you wearing a wedding dress as formalwear this is you celebrating your wedding! It may not be the day you are legally married but it will be a great day of celebration and if anyone asks tell them "I am a bride". I would be thrilled to sit at your table with you in your lovely dress.

As for feeling out of place. Tell anyone who says one word to bite you. Honestly! This is your day Autumn. :)

THE CAPTAIN DOES THE CEREMONY AND IT CAN NOT BE DONE ON FORMAL NIGHTS. SO NO, I WOULD NOT WEAR IT THE ACTUAL DAY OF THE CEREMONY. BUT I DEFINITLY THINK I WILL WEAR IT. IM VERY EXCITED. THANKS FOR ALL WHO HAVE RESPONDED WITH THEIR OPINIONS AND WORDS OF ENCOURAGEMENT.:)

My husband and I did the same thing for our 10 year anniversary. We had a very inexpensive casual wedding but I wanted a chance to wear a white dress for our renewal of vows. It isn't a traditional wedding dress but when I walked down the hall a young boy said, look Mom a pretty bride. It made my day!! You absolutely deserve to wear the dress you want!

Here are some pictures.

http://community.webshots.com/album/287844401xXEdoA

GREAT PICTURES AND I LOVE THE DRESS!!:)

I am getting married in January (cruise the next day) and just had to share the dress with ya'll. I am wearing a red bolero jacket with it also. Since it will be cold and I have a scar on one arm I need to cover up a bit. My dress is in ivory/red instead of the white/red pictured. I may or may not bring it along on the cruise. It is very comfortable to wear, I look really good in it and I just want to wear it again. However I may just wear one of my other formals instead. I am definately going to bring my silver lace one for one of the nights.

http://www.davidsbridal.com/bridal_gowns_detail.jsp?stid=1204&prodgroup=10

LOVE IT!!!:)

Archived