Sydney with a rental car

http://*******/nVkP8H

The above is a map for a five hour return trip. If you have at least seven hours then it may be doable. If not you will have to turn around sooner.

You could stop and pick up sandwiches or have a quick lunch in Ingonish (on the far side there are a couple places which may be open).

You could also grab a quick lunch in Neils Harbour. I don't know it well but the map gives directions to the Co-op grocery store!

MaryAnn - thanks for the reply and the info ... the link will not open for me though. Can you tell me what route this will be?? Perhaps you might be able to tell me about one for Braddock and Iona, which I think you've mentioned elsewhere, at one time. Thanks again!!

Hi Maryann. I'm seeking the same thing as bonafidebeachbum. Thanks!

http://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Sydney,+NS+B1P+1A1&daddr=Baddeck,+NS+to:Iona,+NS+to:Christmas+Island,+NS,+Canada+to:Destination+Cape+Breton+Association,+Sydney+Marine+Terminal,+Sydney,+NS+B1P+1A1&hl=en&ll=46.085614,-60.600586&spn=0.471479,1.352692&sll=46.148265,-60.203319&sspn=0.006987,0.021136&geocode=FeQpwAIdzF5p_CmTkRO0KuVnSzF_0zNYc7qlyA%3BFd1svwIda_lg_CnPkSNJLGJdSzHz0SeXSM56XA%3BFZJPvQIdijBg_Cl3_U_XX2hdSzG-umoFiqZDow%3BFVd7vQId0w1h_CmLNVmJ_mddSzHgrABkv7cAyg%3BFeQpwAIdzF5p_CGQbhrxmTgVbg&mra=ls&vpsrc=0&z=10

There is less driving in the Baddeck route so it will give you more time IF you do not see the Alexander Graham Bell Museum in Baddeck and the Highland Museum in Iona.

They are both very scenic drives. The one up to Ingonish climbs up and down Mount Smokey and then you go along some rugged seacoast.

The other takes you along the Bras D'Or Lakes which are really inlets of the sea. The water is usually calm and it is very pretty.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Sydney,+NS+B1P+1A1&daddr=Baddeck,+NS+to:Iona,+NS+to:Christmas+Island,+NS,+Canada+to:Destination+Cape+Breton+Association,+Sydney+Marine+Terminal,+Sydney,+NS+B1P+1A1&hl=en&ll=46.085614,-60.600586&spn=0.471479,1.352692&sll=46.148265,-60.203319&sspn=0.006987,0.021136&geocode=FeQpwAIdzF5p_CmTkRO0KuVnSzF_0zNYc7qlyA%3BFd1svwIda_lg_CnPkSNJLGJdSzHz0SeXSM56XA%3BFZJPvQIdijBg_Cl3_U_XX2hdSzG-umoFiqZDow%3BFVd7vQId0w1h_CmLNVmJ_mddSzHgrABkv7cAyg%3BFeQpwAIdzF5p_CGQbhrxmTgVbg&mra=ls&vpsrc=0&z=10

There is less driving in the Baddeck route so it will give you more time IF you do not see the Alexander Graham Bell Museum in Baddeck and the Highland Museum in Iona.

They are both very scenic drives. The one up to Ingonish climbs up and down Mount Smokey and then you go along some rugged seacoast.

The other takes you along the Bras D'Or Lakes which are really inlets of the sea. The water is usually calm and it is very pretty.

Thanks Maryann for all the helpful info!

It is Thanksgiving. But it is not quite the major holiday as in the US. It is a long weekend and time for family get togethers and fall events. You could do some research and find some things happening that day.

Will you be in Sydney? Non tourist stores will be closed. Louisbourg will be open: http://www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/ns/louisbourg/visit/visit3.aspx

So will be the Bell Museum in Baddeck: http://www.visitbaddeck.com/attractions/bell.html

• 2 weeks later...
Going to be there now in mid October instead of early Sept, and we've decided to rent a car and do our own thing. We'd love to see some of the Cabot Trail ... what would be our best route options given the time constraints??

We will be on the Crown which will be in Sydney on Oct. 10. We would love to find a few people who would want to book private tours in the various ports. Anyone interested can email me at jcalgal@sbcglobal.net

Re Halifax ...we would like to go beyond Peggy's Cove to a place that was recommended that wouldn't be so crowded.

We will be on the Crown which will be in Sydney on Oct. 10. We would love to find a few people who would want to book private tours in the various ports. Anyone interested can email me at jcalgal@sbcglobal.net

Re Halifax ...we would like to go beyond Peggy's Cove to a place that was recommended that wouldn't be so crowded.

Any other ideas?

Archived