Guaranteed Balcony - Cabin 5059

lara68

We booked a "guaranteed balcony" on the QM2 New England/Canada cruise. We just found out we were assigned cabin 5059 and on the ship diagram it says "sheltered balcony". This cabin is category B2. DOes anyone know if this is an obstructed view??

I had to cancel before booking but what it mean's is u'll see nothing sitting down in that sense it's obstructed. I u go on utube u'll seee that the balconies r very low down and in bad weather (at least it looks like it) the waves go right over the balcony. I discussed this with at least 5 travel agents who confirmed my belief. The cabins r huge but if u don't mind the water pounding on ur patio door; it's a steal! I was booked for December but I am told October is Hurricane season.

We booked a "guaranteed balcony" on the QM2 New England/Canada cruise. We just found out we were assigned cabin 5059 and on the ship diagram it says "sheltered balcony". This cabin is category B2. Does anyone know if this is an obstructed view??

No, you're fine. The obstructed view staterooms are on 8 deck because the lifeboats hang at that level. Deck 5 balconies are cut into the hull; many people like these and consider them more habitable in colder weather. Your stateroom is starboard between the A and B stairways.

http://www.cunard.com/Ships/Queen-Mary-2/Deck-Plans/

I've stayed in 5055 and your balcony will look like this. You must stand up to see the water or scenery unlike the glass-fronted balconies higher up. I always book on deck 4 or 5. You are sheltered from the elements but can still see where you are.

Linda

1664376265_QM2-MemorialDayCruiseMay2008-89.jpg.408b9c54c0d727e9654fc22fa864f704.jpg

We booked a "guaranteed balcony" on the QM2 New England/Canada cruise. We just found out we were assigned cabin 5059 and on the ship diagram it says "sheltered balcony". This cabin is category B2. DOes anyone know if this is an obstructed view??

I have stayed in both Cabins 5048 to Panama and the Caribbean and 5051 on the New England/Canada cruise. These cabins are perfect for both itinaries. They have the hull balcony which is a balcony built into the hull. It has far more advantages than disadvantages in my opinion. You are protected from wind and weather for the most part and you have much more privacy on this type of balcony. You are also closer to the ocean and can look straight down into the sea which I find very enjoyable and which gives you the ability to see any flying fish or other ocean animals that may go by. Most balconies are high and are positioned above the life boats which makes this impossible. Also 5059 is quite far forward and on Deck 5, starboard which tends to be very quiet. I think you will find it just perfect for the New England/Canada cruise. If I were going, and oh how I wish I were, I would choose that location and type balcony as my very first choice.

The only disadvantage is that you can not sit and see the ocean. And that never was a problem for me.

Go and enjoy it. I think you will love it!!!:)

Gail

They have the hull balcony which is a balcony built into the hull. It has far more advantages than disadvantages in my opinion. You are protected from wind and weather for the most part and you have much more privacy on this type of balcony. You are also closer to the ocean and can look straight down into the sea which I find very enjoyable and which gives you the ability to see any flying fish or other ocean animals that may go by. Most balconies are high and are positioned above the life boats which makes this impossible. The only disadvantage is that you can not sit and see the ocean. And that never was a problem for me.

Go and enjoy it. I think you will love it!!!:) Gail

Having had both "glass fronted" (A grade) and "in hull" "sheltered" (B grade) "balcony" cabins I have to agree fully with everything you've said Gail. Well put :) .

Archived