Radiance of the Seas Cruisetour #11 trip review - Aug 7-19, 2011

Thanks for the great post and fabulous pictures. We did tour #11 two years ago and your thread brought back wonderful memories of that fantastic trip. We stayed at Wedgewood Resort which is located adjacent to Bear Lodge and did many of the same excursions, though not as many as you did. I was disappointed to note that this year they have substituted the Denali Natural History Tour for the great Tundra Wildernesss Tour that you and we did. We have done both, but the TWT was far superior to the NHT. I agree with your comment about the trainride between Anchorage and Seward being the best one of the three legs we did by train. Thanks again for helping us relive a wonderful time in Alaska.:)

Thanks for taking the time to read my lengthy review! I enjoyed everything offered by Cruisetour #11 (except the Native Heritage Centre in Anchorage, which is redundant after the land tour portion in Fairbanks). I suggested that they should do Portage Glacier instead.

• 2 weeks later...

Loved this review since we are taking this cruise tour this summer. Two quick questions. The first, maybe a silly one, is when you suggest sitting on the left on the train and Riverboat - which left? Left when facing the front of the train or boat or left when you are facing the back? Ha. As for the second question - we are taking our three younger children. They have traveled a lot and are excited about the trip. I noted your comments about the Heritage Center in Anchorage. I was considering skipping this with them since they would have seen the Museum of the North in Fairbanks and done several other history tours by then. Since you are a teacher, I would be interested in your thoughts. I thought it might be a good "Free time" afternoon to do something else. Thanks again for your help.

[quote name='3KidsTravel']Loved this review since we are taking this cruise tour this summer. Two quick questions. The first, maybe a silly one, is when you suggest sitting on the left on the train and Riverboat - which left? Left when facing the front of the train or boat or left when you are facing the back? Ha. As for the second question - we are taking our three younger children. They have traveled a lot and are excited about the trip. I noted your comments about the Heritage Center in Anchorage. I was considering skipping this with them since they would have seen the Museum of the North in Fairbanks and done several other history tours by then. Since you are a teacher, I would be interested in your thoughts. I thought it might be a good "Free time" afternoon to do something else. Thanks again for your help.[/quote]

If you are on the cruisetour, how are you going to leave the group and go somewhere else with your kids...taking a taxi? Your cruise director would normally hand you the keys when you arrive at Anchorage Marriott right after the Heritage Centre. If you choose to leave the group, make sure you make arrangements with your cruise director that Marriott deliver your luggage to your room and you'll get the key from the front desk. Most important of all, give your cruise director his/her tip before you leave the group.

I think we arrived at the Heritage Centre at around 2 p.m. Please check the opening times of whatever sight you choose to go. Your cruise director would be the one you ask for suggestion and see if it's feasible for doing something on your own on that day.

• 3 years later...
Thoroughly enjoyed reading of your amazing Alaskan adventure and viewing all the photos. We have cruised several times before and our next cruise will be Alaska. You'll be pleased to know I'm noting all the tips and suggestions you make and basically basing our next trip on what you did. Coming from New Zealand from one end of the world to another, we want to get it right! Thanks again