Transfers Heathrow airport to Dover

Hello Greenmachine,

I looked at different options, train from Heathrow to Charing Cross/Victoria, train from there to Dover, etc. and a private car service. I have finally opted for the private car pickup at Heathrow airport that will take you directly to the Dover Docks. The cost difference is very small, and you don't have the inconvenience of lugging your bags from station to station, to station to taxi.

I have been dealing with Cheryl Finch at Woodford Chauffeur (www.woodfordchauffeurcars.co.uk.). They have given me a rate of $125 GBP, for pickup from Heathrow to Dover, inclusive of all taxes, waiting charges, toll, etc. This is a price per car, not person.

They have also been very pleasant to deal with. Hope this helps.

Elin

Hi Greenmachine

You should also post over on the roll call, we have a very active thread going for this cruise, and would love to have you join us. here is a link

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=38455

We also have Woodford for transportation to and from Dover out of Heathrow, we had checked into the rental car thing but no one wanted to drive on the other side of the road.

Have you signed up with Celebrity for the cruise critic party, we have over the 25 needed so the party is a go, and should take place the first day at sea, Sunday.

Happy cruise planning

Carlene

Hi Greenmachine

we had checked into the rental car thing but no one wanted to drive on the other side of the road.

Carlene

It is really not that hard especially if there is not a lot of city driving. Hardest part is getting out on to the street the first time from the parking lot!

Just have to pay attention when you make turns.

We are flying in the day before and staying at Renaissance Hotel. Depending on time you are arriving May 7, we may be interested in sharing a ride with you to Dover.

There are 4 of us, and being driven is a bit expensive I just find the opportunity to see the country side and not worry will be easier for us to deal with. We are flying in from San Francisco, arriving at 11 am on the 6th and staying in Dove Friday night.

I hope you have signed up for the Cruise Critic party on the Celebrity website it has been fun in the past to meet fellow cruisers and then meet up later in the cruise and swap stories of happening things.

5 weeks and counting...

Carlene

Dileep. I have no problem with driving on the other side, so this almost sounds too good to be true - no drop off fee? How about insurance? Any other drawbacks? How far is the dropoff location from the pier? I need to make the same trip for Constellation Baltic cruise on June 4. How about return trip - can you pick up a car at the port and return it to Heathrow? Thanks.

ShamrockFL

I was surprised to see that there was no drop off fee too. May be it is due to the deal my company has with Hertz. I have not checked the rate with a AAA discount. The drop off place does not appear to be close to the ferry pier. I will drop my wife off with the luggage at the pier and then return the car. May be a short cab ride back.

Look into Hertz, Avis, and Sixt.

I am sure I can pick up a car on the return in Dover too, but since I am staying in Central London, I don't want to do city driving or pay 39 GBP for parking at the hotel!

• 2 weeks later...

Dileep - you don't know how lucky you are. I spent most of last evening searching for a car on various sites and the ONLY thing I could come up with for this was $150! Most sites I couldn't even get a quote. As you suggest your success is probably due to doing it through your company account. I think it was the Hertz site that wouldn't quote because their facility in Dover closes around 1 pm on Saturdays and I wanted to arrive after that. Don't know if you are aware of that or if it conflicts with your timing, just thought I'd mention it.

Dileep - you don't know how lucky you are. I spent most of last evening searching for a car on various sites and the ONLY thing I could come up with for this was $150! Most sites I couldn't even get a quote. As you suggest your success is probably due to doing it through your company account. I think it was the Hertz site that wouldn't quote because their facility in Dover closes around 1 pm on Saturdays and I wanted to arrive after that. Don't know if you are aware of that or if it conflicts with your timing, just thought I'd mention it.

Try National Car Rental: 1-800-CARRENT. Their rates were the best. Just be aware of your responsibility in case of accident. Nelson

You can take the National Express coach, which is reasonable, but you will have to change in London. http://www.nationalexpress.com It's a very pleasant drive from London to Dover we did it last year. We stayed one night at the East Lee B&B in Dover and had a wonderful time. There is a lot to see in Dover. Dover Castle, the Roman Painted House, the Bronze Age Boat, and Dover is a quaint English seaside town.

Archived