Very Short Fins!

cruisingtaylor

We wanted to get new fins, and were interested in the 'travel fins' found on the internet. However, our local dive shop sold us some very short fins, not labelled as travel fins. When I went to the company's website, I found out they were actually meant for use in pools (?). Anyhow, anyone use these type of fins, and what is your experience in the Caribbean with them?These are made by Cressi and called light fins. I'm just a tad concerned that I might not be able to swim as strongly in them. (they sure would pack well!)

I have the Trek fins and love them!

Do yours look like these?

http://www.shopping.com/U-S-Divers-U-S-Divers-Trek-Travel-Fins-Menfts-10-13-Womenfts-11/prices

You don't get as much propulsion, but they are a heck of a lot easier to pack and travel on the excursions with, and also getting on and off the excursion boat or the surf with too!

They gave us plenty of power on all the snorkeling excursions we've been on, we wouldn't go without them now!

I, too, transioned to the shorter fins - U.S. Divers Shredder. Probably the same size as the Trek fins.

They require much less effort in the water. I understand divers using longer fins for power. But we seldom need "power" while snorkeling.

The U.S.Trek Travel fins are what I was looking for but our dive shop didn't have them. These are similar, although without the slits that let the water through. They seem so tiny, I wasn't sure they would do the job. But I have read reviews that say they are ok for snorkelling, just don't give you as much power. I guess I'll keep them and find out.

I think if your a strong swimmer the smaller ones would be ok but I did not like them for myself. I am not a strong swimmer and when in a moderate current felt I was going no where. Next day rented normal fins and when faced with a current at the same beach had no problem whatsoever. Yes they pack easy but as a weaker swimmer found them to be useless.

I love them because they are easier on your ankles and knees than the longer fins. In terms of how they will impact on your swimming ability, they aren't as strong as the longer fins, however they are still a whole lot more useful than not having any fins.

I haven't swam in the Caribbean, so I'm not sure how strong various currents are there, however, if you do find yourself in a current and you can't touch the bottom, swim along the current (with the current so it will help you) towards the beach/ wherever you need to be i.e. diagonally, rather than trying to swim against it, especially if you aren't very confident in the water, you can kick as hard as you want and can still feel like you aren't getting anywhere.

Have fun!

I love my short fins. They just squeeze into my carry-on and I use them for scuba diving also. I also have long fins that I usually use for scuba diving at home but still use my shorties sometimes. So much easier to pack.

I have the Trek fins and love them!

Do yours look like these?

http://www.shopping.com/U-S-Divers-U-S-Divers-Trek-Travel-Fins-Menfts-10-13-Womenfts-11/prices

I also have the Trek fins and am wild about them - so much easier to walk in and I get great propulsion off mine - as long as I keep my legs straight and just waggle my fins, I'm good to go. You don't want to go but so fast when you are snorkeling, anyway. I pack mask, snorkel, fins in the tote bag inside my carryon - no problem. As long as I have those and my bathing suit, I'm ok even if my luggage goes to Alaska when I go to the Caribbean!

Archived