Triumph NewEngland/Canada Sept. 17, 2005

I would like to take you up on your offer for some Halifax questions, since you live there. Thanks for offering!

I came across information about "FRED". It's the free downtown shuttle. I'm trying to find out if this is something we can catch right off the cruise, or would there be walking involved? If so, where would we go to get on, and what stops does FRED make? Just wondering if we can use this to take us to the various attractions, and get on and off as we please. We like to do our own thing rather than the tours.

Thanks for any help or info!

emalemi, it's my pleasure to answer any of your questions.

Here's two good sites: http://www.halifaxinfo.ca and http://www.halifax.ca. On the second site you can do a search on FRED and will get the schedule. Unfortunately this year's schedule is not yet available, but keep checking, I'm sure it will be there soon. I don't think the route changes from year to year, so based on past years it is within walking distance of pier and has numerous stops you can just get on and/or off of. The pier is located at the downtown waterfront and you can walk just about anywhere. Some things within walking distance are the shops, restaurants (lots of great places to eat), the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic (where there's a titanic display), the Brewery Market (open on Saturdays). If you use FRED, be sure to stop on Spring Garden Road, there's a few stores that are worth checking out: Jennifer's of Nova Scotia and the Plaid Place in particular. The city is also host to many summer festivals, the biggest one being the Buskers (street entertainer competition), which is held every August for 2 weeks. The waterfront is a hub of activity then.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need anything other information and I'll be happy to help.

emalemi, it's my pleasure to answer any of your questions.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need anything other information and I'll be happy to help.

I will be in Halifax with a friend in Mid-November.. had no idea the province closed down the end of October! So I may contact you later for some suggestions if that's okay????

Thank you for the information and the web sites. I have saved them and will try and pull up FRED's schedule closer to our arrival (June) That is excatly what we wanted to be able to get on and off. Some in our group are not able to walk for long, so this will work out great for us.

Thanks for the tips on the not to miss stops too!

Appreciate it!

Host Caroline,

Sure, feel free to contact me any time.

The province doesn't fully shut down; there's still lots to do. What closes is the activity on the waterfront, because it's too cold. You can still walk around the waterfront and the indoor stores in Historic Properities and Barrington Place are open all year round. The museum is still open, as is the Brewery Market. Peggy's Cove is open all year round too. A fun place is the Halifax Feast Dinner Theatre - highly recommend that. And then there's the restaurants and bars. You've probably heard this before, but Halifax has the highest number of bars/restaurants per capita than any city in North America. We like to party. Plus, there's three universities in the city so there's lots of business as a result of that. Lots of great shopping too.

Anyway, that's a start, but I'll come up with some more things to do if you wish, although I'm sure your friend that you're visiting will have some ideas too.

Host Caroline,

Sure, feel free to contact me any time.

The province doesn't fully shut down; there's still lots to do. . Peggy's Cove is open all year round too. A fun place is the Halifax Feast Dinner Theatre - highly recommend that.

Anyway, that's a start, but I'll come up with some more things to do if you wish, although I'm sure your friend that you're visiting will have some ideas too.

I'm coming with a friend, not visiting one:) I wasn't that worried about Halifax itself.. plus the Christmas parade is that Sat. night (and we froze out tushes off at the Quebec Winter Carnaval one two years ago so we can handle anything;) ) and there's a huge craft show at Pier 21.. My friend is a juried basketweaver so we are hoping to find some places down near Lunenburg, Peggy's Cove etc. I love Halifax and know what we will find something to do Friday night -Monday a.m.. when we will be renting a car and heading south!

Host Caroline,

Sounds like a great trip. Going to the South Shore is beautiful any time of the year. I'm sure you are going to enjoy it. I don't know anything about basketweaving, but if you want I can see if I can find anything about it. Also at that time of year there are lots of craft shows around the province and they are lots of fun. There's lots to do on a Friday or Saturday night. Might I recommend the Lower Deck in Historic Properties. It's a Nova Scotia traditional bar/restaurant that's been around for years. Great place. The Brewery Market is another fun place to got on Saturday morning. And, if you like shopping try to make it to Jennifer's of Nova Scotia on Spring Garden Rd., along with the Plaid Place. There's also a great store just off Spring Garden Rd on Queen St call Romeny's(sp). They have the most beautiful hand-knit sweaters I've seen in a long time.

Archived