Embarkation time at Barcelona

richard100

I have checked in at 11 on several cruises there; keep in mind cabins won't be available until 1:00 or so. We dropped our bags, walked around the ship for a few minutes, and went straight back to enjoy Barcelona for a few more hours until we needed to be aboard. There is a port shuttle for 1 euro IIRC that will pick you up just outside your terminal and take you to the foot of Las Ramblas by the Columbus statue. From there you can walk or hop on the metro--very convenient. Also on your way back you can pick up a case of water or your two bottles of wine (;)) from the kiosk right in the terminal building.

Just as CathyCruises reports, we've usually arrived around noon and found boarding well underway.

Only exception was a cruise following a significant noro virus when embarkation was delayed until 3Pm to allow extra time for staff to sanitize the ship - and their efforts were very successful. They did have us check in when we arrived at the terminal and then gave us a lunch voucher and provided transportation to/from the foot of Ramblas. They even provided a place to check your carry-on luggage while we headed back to town for lunch.

We've found that at every port we've sailed from they start embarkation right around the time they verify that all passengers have departed and cleared the hallway that will be used for embarkation processing. This is usually around 11, but could run later if there were any unusual issues or delays with the disembarkation.

Assuming it's a "normal" boarding process, and you'd be able to get onto the ship at about 11, would you be able to check in and drop off your luggage any earlier than that? Or do they not start taking luggage for the "new" cruise until the previous cruise's bags are all out of the way? If our flight is on time we'll be there well before 11 and I'm hoping I can drop off my luggage and go sightseeing! :)

We were almost the first people there, arrived about 10:30. The 'skycaps', for want of a better word, were out in force, so I wouldn't worry. I also wouldn't arrive at 8AM when people were still departing. Come to think of it I did see a few departing people when we arrived, the last stragglers, but it didn't interfere with the guys accepting the luggage of the newcomers.

Archived