Athens Half Day Private Tour -- Worth it?

ALadyNCal

My situation -- traveling with our elderly Moms and we are a group of 5. If it weren't for making it easy on our Moms, we would just DIY in Athens. I am trying to decide between these two options:

A: Take a taxi directly to Acropolis. Then see the sights on our own, spend some time at the Plaka and take a taxi back to the port. The taxis would alleviate the hassle of the metro/buses and get us promptly to the Acropolis.

B: Private half day tour. I would not get an all day tour because 1) I don't want to wear everyone out with an 8+ hour day and 2) it's very expensive. As to the half day tour, it might be fun for everyone and make things convenient. But my QUESTION is this -- if you only have a 4 hour tour and you subtract the time spent at the Acropolis and Parthenon, how much real 'tour time' are you getting in the 'half day tour'? While cheaper than an all day tour, the half day tour is still not 'cheap'.

Thanks for any help :)

Both are quite possible but I would need to know how mobile the moms are. The walk from the Acropolis to the Plaka is downhill of course but would be a bit of a distance for anyone with some mobility issues. The Plaka is mostly flat but again there can be a lot of walking.

They are mobile for their ages (70+) but I am trying to make it more convenient for them -- but still be practical.

I guess my math estimate (having not been to Athens) is that you might spend 90 minutes between the Acropolis and Parthenon. I don't know how long the drive TO the Acropolis will be. But how much 'touring' and seeing other sights is left? If you only have two hours of real time left in the Half Day Tour, it seems really expensive....:confused:

About a 20-30 minute cab ride to the Acropolis. Maybe 15-20 minutes to walk to the Plaka. You can lunch in the Plaka. There are innumerable cafes and restaurants. Then you can taxi back if you wish. Otherwise you could carry on to Syntagma Square (the main public square) which is just beyond the Plaka and where the Legislature is and the cab back. Add another hour for this.

Archived