Calling Home

TripletDad

My wife and I and nother couple will be cruising this July 31 on the Victory. This is an adult only cruise. This is the first time we have gone on a vacation since our 9 yr old triplet daughters were born without them. We would like to call home at least once during our cruise. We are wondering what the cheapest way to do this is? We are sailing on western caribbean intnerary (Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios). Does anyone have addvice and or experaince with making phone calls while on their cruise? BTW We have booked a cruise for the summer of 2006 that will include the girls. Thanks.

TripletDad.

The only place I had cell service was Grand Cayman. I made a 10 minute call to the office and it was about $25... I have used the phone on the ship as well...it is pricey, I believe it was $6.99/minute. I know my call was $27 and I didn't talk much longer than 2 minutes.

Can you use a calling card on the ship? I would like to be able to call my mom while I am on my cruise (my father recently died and I need to check up on my mom).

How do you suggest I get in touch with her?

Thanks

We had phone service until we left the mouth of Mississippi and it returned shortly after we started back up the Mississippi. We also had service in Grand Cayman and my husband's phone showed service in Cozumel (which was strange since we have the same provider). I would second the suggestion about the internet. Our recent cruise was also adults only although all of our kids are older (college). We asked each of the kids to email us every day (even if they just said "still fine") and we emailed them a note each day. We bought one internet package and we all used it. I did see alot of people on the pay phones calling home in Grand Cayman.

I was going to ask this same question...

We are also taking an "adults only" cruise on the W. Caribbean route and I was wondering if the Int'l phone cards would be the best buy.

On our last cruise, we won an "internet video" by signing up in the library one day. This was nice (and FREE :) Our kids really enjoyed being able to "see" us...also there were some places in the shops in different ports where we could send a "video" via internet for a fee.

I only want to call home maybe twice during the week while at port just to check in with them.

If Int'l phone cards are the best bet....where is the best place to purchase them?

When I sailed without my children (I am a single mom with 4 kids) I decided to keep in touch via the internet. I bought a 60 minutes package. Sent them each a quick update email and they would email me. These were the ONLY emails I wrote or read :)

I actually found this to be the best way to communicate. Keep in mind...Not sure who will be watching your kids but.... what are the chances that you will be able to arrange a call and speak with all 3 of them??

The internet is great because you can write to them when it fits into your schedule and vice versa. I had a routine....stopped at the cafe and picked up a Double Cappucinno then headed down to the computers and read and wrote. The time of day varied but I ALWAYS had my coffee :) My kids also had the ability to email me at their comfort level. 2 of them wrote a couple of times, 2 of them only wrote once. One of those sent messages via a sibling...true to their personalities!!

During my cruise next month 2 of my children will be on a DIFFERENT cruise the same week with their father. I am looking forward to emailing with them so they can update me on their cruise while I am off on mine! Ain't technology awesome!!!

An excellent question, as I will also need to check with my kids during the week. A friend of mine had very good luck with an international calling card that she used in the ports which was much cheaper than on the ship. My cell phone provider said that I could use my phone in Cozumel, and if it was in roaming mode, it would be .69 per minute which is much better than 6.99 a minute!!! Of course every time I call home, I will probably get the callwave anyway, since they are either on the computer constantly, or on the phone! (two teenage daughters if you know what I mean LOL)

I have had a signal in Cozumel before, but unable to make calls... always get the nice spanish speaking message, which I assume is telling me I can't make the calls... very strong signal, not able to make calls :( I have AT&T/Cingular. Had great service in Grd Cayman though...

My DD will only be 15 months when we sail in April and although she is quite advanced, still can't use the internet well! ;)

The Int'l Calling Card will be the best idea for us, but the question is, where should I get one? I have googled and found a couple of cards on line, then also found, AT&T has a pre-paid card. Anyone that has used one have an opinion as to which is better?

Thanks for the tips!

I had Cingular on my last cruise. I called them beforehand and told them I would be in Mexico, and she added an International Plan to my service. (I think it was supposed to be $5, but they NEVER charged my account with it!). Then she gave me some number I was supposed to call before I dialed my international number. Well, when I got to Cozumel, I forgot to bring that number with me and I couldn't remember it, so I didn't get to make the call from there. But the next day in Playa del Carmen, I was able to make the call no problem. Had a great signal and could hear the person I called just like they were across town rather than across the Gulf. I talked for about 10 minutes, and I think the total charge for the call was around $2.50. Much better than using the ships phones!!

By the way, DO NOT try to use a calling card when calling from the ship. You will get billed twice -- the first time by the ship at $6.99 a minute, and then whatever your calling card wants to charge you. It does not save you any money whatsoever. Using a calling card while in port I guess would be different, just make sure it is an international calling card.

You can buy a pre-paid phone card at walmart (AT&T, Sprint or whatever) just make sure it says that it can be used for international calls on the back. When I called my cellphone provider (Verizon) they said I should have no problem using my phone in Mexico, but you know how that goes-I plan on buying a prepaid phone card just in case!

We were on the Victory last April, and I was shocked because we could call from our room phone for $1.99 a minute. I made a couple calls during the week to check things, and I know it wasn't more than $5 total. Guess the price has gone up a lot!

TinaJ

We purchased international calling cards for our March 13 cruise. The calling cards did not work for us and everyone around the phones in ports (Cayman, Cozumel and Belize) said the same thing. Their cards did not work. We really had trouble even hearing the operator in Cozumel while attempting to use a credit card. My sister managed to get a call through using her credit card (Don't know what she will be charged for this call though). In Belize my daughter purchased a calling card from one of the shops there for $10 (for 10 minutes). I am sure you could purchase a card while in port but be aware that international calling cards purchased in the States may not work.

We were on the Victory last April, and I was shocked because we could call from our room phone for $1.99 a minute. I made a couple calls during the week to check things, and I know it wasn't more than $5 total. Guess the price has gone up a lot!

TinaJ

It has been this high for at least two years, and likely many more years than that... You guys may have been offered a special? I agree, that was one heck of a deal!!!

• 1 month later...

Archived