Irene - Trip Insurance

CruiseinNJ

We're set to sail on the Pride on Sunday - yes, the day Irene is supposed to be hitting the Baltimore area. We always travel in hurricane season, always buy trip insurance, and this is the first time I'm even thinking it will be needed.

Not having a need to use the insurance before, what exactly do we look for in the policy? If it helps, I purchased Travel Guard Gold

I don't know that answer, but I bet Irene was a wake up call for many to now look into or purchase it. Those that get messed up for whatever reason, are the first to post how a cruiseline was unfair and won't return their money! Then we all gang up with little sympathy.

We're set to sail on the Pride on Sunday - yes, the day Irene is supposed to be hitting the Baltimore area. We always travel in hurricane season, always buy trip insurance, and this is the first time I'm even thinking it will be needed.

Not having a need to use the insurance before, what exactly do we look for in the policy? If it helps, I purchased Travel Guard Gold

Start with trip delay .. make sure you write down the number as you only have 12 hrs to report this for claim.

It is best to read through everything though.

I have many friends and family across Delmarva and Northern Jersey .. I was just telling my DH that I wondered how Pride would get down the bay on Sunday.

We leave on Sunday as well but from POM. However, we are just getting out of VA before it hits on Saturday.

Good Luck and Safe Travels

Just making a personal decision to throw up your hands and say "I just don't feel like going" because the hurricane is in the area won't cut it. If the ship leaves and you're not on it,,, the cruiseline filled it's obligation.

Trip delay (or maybe trip interruption) would reimburse UP TO MAX AMOUNT for you to catch up to the ship at one of it's next port of calls.

If your house takes a direct hit and is determined to be unihabitable, this would cover you also depending on the insurance companies definition of uninhabitable.

However, trip delay and trip interruption are each difined differently by different companies. (ie min 4 hr delay, 8 hr delay, 12 hr delay)

From Carnival's site:

CARNIVAL PRIDE – 8/28/11

Since Hurricane Irene is forecasted to affect the north east coast early Sunday morning, the Carnival Pride has been directed by the US Coast Guard to arrive early from the previous cruise and proceed to a secure, alternate location until the storm passes. Therefore, if the track remains the same, embarkation is scheduled for Monday, August 29th from 10am to 2pm at the Baltimore cruise terminal. Please be on the lookout for an email with additional information.

It looks like I have a delay, and will be calling the insurance company to see how the trip delay/trip interruption comes into play to see if it covers extra nights at the hotel in Baltimore...

From Carnival's site:

CARNIVAL PRIDE – 8/28/11

Since Hurricane Irene is forecasted to affect the north east coast early Sunday morning, the Carnival Pride has been directed by the US Coast Guard to arrive early from the previous cruise and proceed to a secure, alternate location until the storm passes. Therefore, if the track remains the same, embarkation is scheduled for Monday, August 29th from 10am to 2pm at the Baltimore cruise terminal. Please be on the lookout for an email with additional information.

It looks like I have a delay, and will be calling the insurance company to see how the trip delay/trip interruption comes into play to see if it covers extra nights at the hotel in Baltimore...

Yes travelguard gold you will be covered for trip delay/interruption to get you to the next port and hotel stay. You should have a little card that they sent with the policy with the phone numbers on it....stick it in your wallet and bring your policy just in case. Or if you have a wonderful TA like me......one call to her and she arranges everything. Good luck!

Archived