Montego Bay to Ocho Rios

BevMoney

Has anyone ever arranged cab or van service from Montego Bay to Ocho Rios on there own instead of using the ship's shore excursion. I would like to plan a trip for my group but I don't think really need a full tour or even lunch, we just want to go to the falls. Thanks

Just an FYI- it's gonna be a minimum of 2 hours each way to get there unless you can arrange for a plane through Airlink International (may not be in business anymore, but we have used them)... There may be other plane operators available now. We paid $75pp to get us to Runaway Bay from MoBay by plane. It was worth getting there in 20 minutes vs. 2 hours with all the road construction going on.

They're correct, it is a rather long ride and the road is really rough - alot of pot holes. There isn't much to see along the way except some hotels and shacks. The Dunns River Falls is very pretty, but also very crowded.

• 4 weeks later...

I can recommend an excellent tour operator in Montego Bay who will take you to Dunn's River Falls, Ocho Rios, shopping or many other places. We just came back from a cruise on the Carnival Conquest which included a day in MoBay. We arranged a Dunn's River Falls/Ocho Rios tour with Trevor Hudlin Tours by email. The price was much more reasonable than the Carnival offered, and from talking to other guests that went to Dunn's River Falls, we got a much better tour. Our friendly driver was waiting for us in the Cruise Terminal with a sign. We had some reservations about getting into a vehicle in Jamaica with a total stranger and he made us feel safe and comfortable from the very beginning. There were eight of us including four children. We learned a lot about Jamaica from the driver as we made our way along the rough road from MoBay to Ocho Rios in the air-conditioned van. It is about a two hour drive. After helping us get ready and into the park, he waited in the parking lot while we climbed the falls. I highly recommend climbing the falls as long as you are in decent physical condition. Even if you decide not to climb you will enjoy the park. Beware of the pushy vendors at the open market area as you exit the falls to the parking lot. They don't like to take NO for an answer. When we were ready to leave, he asked what we would like to do next. We did not really want to shop, so we asked hime to take us back to MoBay and stop by Margaritaville for a drink. After our overpriced drinks ($9 per drink & $5 bottled beer), we asked him to take us back to the ship. By the way, you can enjoy a Red Stripe at the little bar in the Cruise Terminal for only $2.50. You can contact Trevor at trevorhudlin@hotmail.com. We simply paid for the tour when we were dropped off back at the ship. We were so pleased with the tour we were happy to give our driver a nice tip.

Archived