Scanners for carry-on luggage

toberman

Something I've been wondering about... maybe someone here has an answer. Last year one of the tour companies in Antigua gave us a bottle of wine and a bottle of rum punch. When I put it thru the scanner he asked what I had, so told him wine and punch. His reply back was "It says Rum" !! So I had to check it in.

Can they actually read what is printed on the bottle with these scanners?? :confused:

It depends. Unlikely but possible under the right circumstances. The printing would most likely have to be done using a metalized foil or something similar to read it on the sort of x-ray scanners Princess has on board. There are new airport x-ray scanners coming that can differentiate between different types of liquids but there is no way Princess has those.

Besides Rum Punch is a liquor that isn't supposed to be allowed to be taken to the cabin by passengers.

I have never seen a ships scanner that can tell what the liquid is, just the outline of the bottle. It is possible security was just guessing, and when you admitted it, they had you check the bottle. Some ports are much more strict when reboarding then others.

Heck, I had them try to take a bottle of wine I bought away in Kauai one time, I had to argue the point that wine was allowed and they let me take it to my cabin. But it took 10 minutes to make my point and get someone that knew the rules as well as I did. ;)

I have never seen a ships scanner that can tell what the liquid is, just the outline of the bottle. It is possible security was just guessing,

I sorta thunk the same thing... that he was guessing. Since it was a gift that was basically forced on me, but I didn't want - I gave it up (told the crew to keep it). :)

I have never seen a ships scanner that can tell what the liquid is, just the outline of the bottle. It is possible security was just guessing, and when you admitted it, they had you check the bottle. Some ports are much more strict when reboarding then others.

Heck, I had them try to take a bottle of wine I bought away in Kauai one time, I had to argue the point that wine was allowed and they let me take it to my cabin. But it took 10 minutes to make my point and get someone that knew the rules as well as I did. ;)

For some reason the Hawaii ports always have a problem. There was a mess with bringing bottles on board in Honolulu too. You would think that we're not even in a foreign port and they would know the rules. :rolleyes:

For some reason the Hawaii ports always have a problem. There was a mess with bringing bottles on board in Honolulu too. You would think that we're not even in a foreign port and they would know the rules. :rolleyes:

My problem happened in Kauai.................it was so strange. They had my receipt written out and everything for ONE bottle of wine. They finally destroyed the receipt and told me I could carry it on. Dahhhhhhhh........

Something I've been wondering about... maybe someone here has an answer. Last year one of the tour companies in Antigua gave us a bottle of wine and a bottle of rum punch. When I put it thru the scanner he asked what I had, so told him wine and punch. His reply back was "It says Rum" !! So I had to check it in.

Can they actually read what is printed on the bottle with these scanners?? :confused:

Depends on the density of the label or what the lettering is made of. So yes, there are times when they can read what it is printed on a label.

Archived