Forward or Aft

whiskygirl96

My husband and I are looking to sail on the Victory next October. Here's my dilemma now... I was looking to an aft balcony (because my husband insists on a balcony) but he wants to know the pros and cons on aft balcony vs. forward balcony. We are looking at the Empress deck. But seeing as how we've never sailed before I figured you guys could give me some reasons one way or the other! Thanks in advance :P

Are you wanting information regarding a cabin across the aft? or the side location of aft.?

I loved afts until they changed categories and i can no longer afford them

If i was taking the Victory I would be booking 7391. We have had cabins right here on Liberty 2 x's and Freedom.

There is no neighbor across the hall (its where they store firedoors)

located right by the elevators/stairs. ( no noise issues)

up two decks for food. down two decks for entertainment.

We are looking at the side instead of across the back, I'm not sure I would like the dividers on the rear view balconies. We aren't opposed to having a longer walk or anything like that we are just excited to be on the ship and plan to enjoy ourselves no matter what. My DH just likes to come up with these random questions to throw me off when the only thing he has said about the cruise or ship is that we have to have a balcony.

My husband and I are looking to sail on the Victory next October. Here's my dilemma now... I was looking to an aft balcony (because my husband insists on a balcony) but he wants to know the pros and cons on aft balcony vs. forward balcony. We are looking at the Empress deck. But seeing as how we've never sailed before I figured you guys could give me some reasons one way or the other! Thanks in advance :P

We're sailing on the Victory next April ourselves. We've had 2 aft balcony cabins, two midships balconies and one at the very front (bow, 1st cabin!). We prefer the aft extended balconies ourselves. Yes, you're at the back of the ship so there will be more walking but I like working off some of that food! You will only have two neighbors (either side), and we've never had any issues with the people above us being able to see more than maybe 2 feet of our balcony. Plus, the views you get from an aft cabin can't be beat. Yes, you will feel the vibrations of the engines, but after the first night we don't notice them again. NEVER had a rough ride back there, I'll book an aft cabin every time if I can. If you are prone to motion sickness, you might consider midships, but I use a patch and take Meclazine just in case so I never have any issues there. Be happy to share aft cabin photos if you like.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had both mid and aft; prefer the aft. Haven't really noticed much difference in the noise level. Booked on the first aft wrap over Thanksgiving, really looking forward to that. It looks to have at least 2X's the balcony space. (own chaise lounge :-)) More expensive, we will see if it is worth it.

If motion sickness is the issue mid is the best choice. I would recommend the pressure point wrist bands as there is no chemical issues with them and I have seen them used very successful in the past.

I have walked forward during the past cruises and felt more movement in the forward area of the vessel.

Happy cruising!!

Archived