Best restaurants in Vancouver to watch the sunset?

Can anyone name restaurants in Vancouver that's a good spot to watch the sun set? I can come up with some of the more popular places - The Observatory on Grouse Mountain, The Boathouse on English Bay, Cloud 9 on the Sheraton, and the Salmon House on the Hill. Would anyone consider Monk McQueens a good place to watch the sun set? I'm afraid the only times I've eaten there were in the winter and I arrived after it was dark! I'd kind of like to find some lower priced restaurants that might not be as well known as some of the other popular pricey restaurants.

Also can anyone help me out with the name of an ice cream store I saw on the news a few years ago? It had all kinds of flavors, at least 100 flavors, of ice creams that one wouldn't necessarily find in ice cream like spices and vegetables. I'm nearly positive it was not a chain shop, it was the only location and I think it might have been on Terminal Ave or Commercial but I'm not positive. Is La Casa Gelato the place I'm thinking of?

Thanks!

The Boat House, Cloud 9 etc. are all quite good, but a bit touristy. Not to say you won't enjoy yourself, but be warned. If you do choose Cloud 9, you should plan on making a reservation quite early to specify a window table.

However, my favorite, being a native of Vancouver, is the Teahouse at Ferguson Point, in Stanley Park. It faces west, has a good view of the ocean and the food is good. Especially I favor the Prime Rib on the Sunday dinner.

Have fun!

Mario Gelato is located at 1st and Quebec - it was in the news a lot during the Olympics because it's access was restricted and is just one block from Termina lso perhaps that is the place you are referring to.

Monks would be okay in the summer time as the sunset is more in the northwest sky but as summer fades it moves further south and is seem less from the deck of Monk's

Nu and Stone Grill at the foot of Granville would be good also.

There is a Milestone's next to the Boathouse on English Bay that is more moderatley priced and while not yet complete there is a new restaurant being built by the Parks Board at English Bay that will have an unbelieveable view of the evening sunsets.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Rickey, I've eaten at all those restaurants, just looking for more! Thanks for the reminder about the Teahouse! My husband and I ate their years ago and the odd thing was our waiter was someone he used to know several years ago when he lived in Alberta.

Urban Trekker, thanks for letting me know Milestones is there. I've eaten at other Milestones but not that one in English Bay. And thanks for letting me know about Nu and Stone Grill.

As for the ice cream, its not Mario Gelato. I've gone to the Fort Langley location and I think they're in Maple Ridge too and I'm pretty sure the one I saw on the news was the only shop. Mario's is good though!

Depending upon the time of year I would probably cast vote for the Boathouse. The restaurants on Granville Island can have good sunsets but the Burrard Bridge impacts the view....sometime interestingly and other times...well.

Thanks Rickey, I've eaten at all those restaurants, just looking for more! Thanks for the reminder about the Teahouse! My husband and I ate their years ago and the odd thing was our waiter was someone he used to know several years ago when he lived in Alberta.

As for the ice cream, its not Mario Gelato. I've gone to the Fort Langley location and I think they're in Maple Ridge too and I'm pretty sure the one I saw on the news was the only shop. Mario's is good though!

I missed your question regarding ice cream, and it's been so long ago, I think Vancouver's favorite ice cream stores are long gone. They were called "Peter's Ice Cream" with locally made flavors, cones and milk shakes. Our favorite was on 4th Ave. in the Kitsilano area.

However, also now recommended is La Casa Gelato at 1033 Venables, south of East Hastings St. They claim 218 flavors, all made in the Italian tradition.

I missed your question regarding ice cream, and it's been so long ago, I think Vancouver's favorite ice cream stores are long gone. They were called "Peter's Ice Cream" with locally made flavors, cones and milk shakes. Our favorite was on 4th Ave. in the Kitsilano area.

I had completely forgotten about Peter's ....wow they were good...they were part of a dairy and I think it may have been Palm Dairies. I can't remember when they disappeared but it must be the best part of 20 years. :(

Ah Yes Peter`s ice cream - those were the days - a friend of mine drove an neighbourhood ice cream truck with product from Peters and we often worked the beaches before being shooed off by the Parks people who didn`t like competition - believe that the current Swiss Chalet building on Broadway is the original location of Peter`s Ice Cream.

Cheers

Dennis

I did a little Goggling re Peter's Ice Cream and it was started and owned by a Peter George, however I have a notion that he was bought out by a dairy company. Here is a link that you may find interesting. I am going contact a friend whose dad started Mr. Mike's and who tends to be a font of knowledge on Vancouver restaurants and see what she can tell me.

http://www.vancouvertop40radio.com/Station%20Selection/CFUN/1966/peters_ice_cream_painting.htm

Don`t want to get to off topic here but I know who it was that operated it in those days and he is still alive - well known on Howe St and not all of his reviews would be positive.

Cheers

Dennis

Of what do you speak...Peter's or Mr. Mike's?

Dear Mr. Trekker and dear Mr. Dude.....

Not wishing to distract, I dusted off my long still memory bank, and discovered that I was wrong, and the Peter's my parents took us to WAS on Broadway and not on 4th as I had thought.

Palm Dairies may well have been the parent of Peters, I couldn't be sure as my prime concern was their flavors. There was Butterscotch, Lemon, Orange, Dark Chocolate and many others. It was shortly after the end of the war, and things like those had been missing from our lives for years.

Another thing to think back on was delivery of dairy products to our front door in Kerrisdale by a horse drawn milk wagon. Those, I believe, were run by Dairyland and us kids were waiting for them to come by, so we could talk to the horse!

It was another day and another time!

(I shall now return to my memories and say no more) ;)

Getting back on topic - while not the cheapest method the sunset would also look great from the top of Grouse - might not be the best dining experience but a sunset from some 3000`up would be different.

Cheers

Dennis

My restaurant guru, historian and trivia expert was not available when I phoned this afternoon but her husband was able to share this bit of trivia about Peter's....the first location was on the north side of Broadway and Trutch....it was subsequently relocated to the south side of that corner which as a North Shore dude, is the only location that I knew of. I may have more infor to share in the days to come.

Archived