Southampton to Gatwick - Best Way?

CPow

We will be ending a British Isles Cruise in Southampton on the morning of June 1. We do not fly home until the afternoon of June 2 out of Gatwick. Is there anything worth seeing between those two locations? Should we rent a car? Or would we be better off just purchasing a cruiseline transfer? This is our first trip to England. I keep seeing the Isle of Wight... what is that & is it a good area to visit?

Thanks! :)

Isle of Wight is a short ferry ride from Southampton,small villages,there is a local bus that takes you to Osborne House, Queen Victoria lived there. It is open for visit. A nice day out. Maybe stay in Southampton.There is a hotel near the waterfront,name escapes me. You could hire a car if you think you can handle driving on other side of road.There is the coach National Express to London,which stops several times for "rests" about halfway to London 2 hours drive there is a lovely town called Winchester,my favourite .There is a lovely info office and rest room in main street.They will help with Bed and Breakfast ,which is the way to go in England.Winchester is a medeiveal city,Cathederal and a Castle,where The Round Table of King Arthur is. This is where I would stay and look around.The couch stops here or self drive to Gatwick. Hope this helps

Hi Cpow,

Going to the Isle of Wight might be a bit of a waste of time depending on your interests. The process of getting on and off of the island alone can eat up a lot of time you have and there's nothing particularly special there - other than the experience of going to a large island, but you've just got off a cruise ...............

If you post details about what your interests are and whether there's kids involved then I might be able to suggest some ideas as I live around 25 miles from Southampton and know the area very well. Also a more specific idea of when you disemabrk and when you check in for the flight as the time is lean.

Jeff

• 1 month later...

I am new to this board, and already have a great deal of information! Here are my questions for you, and I know you will help me decide.

We are going on the QM2, New York to Southampton in Oct. We have been to London many times, and feel like the theatre is not what we want to do, nor do we want the hustle and bustle of London. (as it stands now, but may change). We have also been to Bath, Stonehenge, Salisbury. We did stay in Southampton years ago, but just for an over night, and only had time to walk into town, eat dinner, and board the ship the next morning.

On this trip, the QM2, we are 10 years older,(senior citizen folks) and want a more relaxed trip. We both are fairly active and like to walk around towns etc.

What do you suggest for us to do in Southampton or surrounding areas?

I do not have firm air arrangments yet, but will want to take some sort of transportation from Southampton to either Heathrow or Gatwick.

Forgot to mention: would like a 3 day stay.

This board is great!

Cheers....Grace

Archived