going to merida

lmt425

we are going to progreso in a couple week and are planning on taking a bus to merida from port. i want to see a big mexican city, go shopping, and get some food. (we also want to do some beach time and massages before getting back to the ship).

so here are my questions....

has anyone taken autoprogreso bus to merida from progreso? i saw on their website that it is $10USD RT. but i also saw online that its only $25pesos RT!! is this true? that would save us over $15usd to pay in pesos. so if so....where is the best place to get pesos?

we are wanting to buy a couple hammocks and some other items. do vendors/restaurants take usd at the 10-1 rate we encountered at cozumel? i saw some restaurants take visa and my capital one doesnt charge foreign fees or whatever so that should be fine as long as we find one that takes visa.

thoughts? helpful hints?

thanks!!

When you get into town just ask directions to the local bus station. 3 or 4 blocks. Three bucks RT. When you arrive at the terminal in Merida, walk to the street, turn right walk 2 blocks and the central plaza is right in front of you. To the left is casa de montejo, the home of the spanish founder of modern Merida, built in 1549. Inside is a bank and atm if needed. You will also see a long 3 story (?) pinkish bldg which is city hall. Opposite of the city hall you will see the cathedral built in 1561 and the oldest of the Americas. Facing the cathedral to your left will be carriage rides.

About $25 for about 50 minutes and takes you through the upscale Paseo de Monejo a broad boulevard.

I envy you. Hope to return to Merida for a couple of weeks this winter. Will be my fourth land vacation there.

Before you leave Progreso pickup a print copy of http://www.yucatantoday.com. Very good visitsor's guide.

PS Maybe William Lawson will stop by and give you some suggestions on hammocks.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived