Balcony Safety ??

2boyzmom

Yes the door leading to the balcony does have a lock.

And any 3-5 year old with even marginal dexterity can open it easily.

The best "safety" is *supervision.*

Out of curiousity, if there is a lock on the door, how could the cruise line be sued?

They only have to exhibit reasonable precautions and any judge should find a lock, and not one that is kid tested, to be reasonable.

Considering the potential for a massive lawsuit, I can't imagine that there's not a lock that is unable to be reached by small children.

A lawsuit for what? The woman said her kids were like "Dennis the Menace x 2."

I'm glad to hear that they are never out of your sight. The lock is located at the top of the door, but I've seen little ones so often standing up on the balcony chairs looking over the balcony and it just scares me to death. I think that the parents forget that they are on a moving ship! Also please keep in mind how slippery the decks can become.

Common sense generally does nto prevail in big libaility lawsuits. I'm not saying it's right, but we all know that if a kid falls off a balcony the cruise line will pay in a major way, regardless of the precautions they take.

I was surprised by something. Prior to boarding, my biggest concern was the balcony door. The deadbolt made me feel fairly secure (but as a previous poster said - there's no substitute for supervision.)

What I was thrown off by is: there is no similar lock to keep the kids in the cabin. The door to the hallway has no deadbolt, or similar lock. The lock which operates to keep anyone in the hallway out is easily disengaged from inside by simply leaning on the handle...I called the pursers desk to ask for suggestions (I can't be the only parent disconcerted by this!) They basically verbally shrugged their shoulders and said it was for "safety" and "security" reasons...

We had our 25 month old with us: in the end, I would place the chair in front of the door at night, hoping to foil any escape attempt! It worked, but it was still a worry.

Also, just a tip: if DH or I was sitting on the balcony, and the door was at those times unlocked, my 25 month old was easily able to open the balcony door - you know, the toddler in-and-out, in-and-out. However, the doors are heavy and when it's windy, they can slam abruptly and forcefully. We used the bungee cord to hold the door open when we were out there to save little fingers and toes (and hopefully our neighbor's sanity!)

HTH & Happy Cruising!

I'm not saying it's right, but we all know that if a kid falls off a balcony the cruise line will pay in a major way, regardless of the precautions they take.

Exactly how do you figure that?

but we all know that if a kid falls off a balcony the cruise line will pay in a major way, regardless of the precautions they take.

More likely that Childrens Protective Services will take a keen interest in the *negligence* of the so-called "parent."

Our next cruise is the third one for our youngest, who just turned three. I also have an 8 and 12 y.o.

Like others have said, supervision is key, which I'm sure you'll provide for your children. It also helps to lay-down-the-law that the balcony door is not unlocked and opened by anyone unless Mom or Dad are on the balcony with them. I never have left them on the balcony by themseleves, not even for a second. The image of my little one (who is three) climbing on the balcony furnature terrifies me!

That said, the balconies we've had on all of our cruises are safe for children if they're properly behaving and are supervised. I can't imagine how anyone could fall over them by accident.

Am I the only one who has noticed that ridiculous awards are granted against corporations even in cases where it is obvious that the "victim" is the one who was grossly negligent?

Trust me, as a business owner I know about frivolous lawsuits, and I know it's fairly common to lose them or to be forced to settle them. It sucks, but it's a fact of life. People look at liability lawsuits like the lottery. Carnival has a lot of money, so if someone's kid falls off the balcony Carnival will get sued and will likely lose a lot of money. It's the natural problem with the jury system.

Been plenty of people that have gone overboard, and the cruiseline hasn't been sued that I have heard of... it's simply not EASY to "fall" off a cruise ship... it takes quite the baffoon to do it :eek:

Been plenty of people that have gone overboard, and the cruiseline hasn't been sued that I have heard of... it's simply not EASY to "fall" off a cruise ship... it takes quite the baffoon to do it :eek:

I haven't seen news of any suits filed. However, if there was a settlement you might never hear about it. Often a condition of settlement is a nondisclosure agreement.

I haven't seen news of any suits filed. However, if there was a settlement you might never hear about it. Often a condition of settlement is a nondisclosure agreement.

Whatever.....no one would win a suit filed against CCL for falling of the freakin' balcony.

And I thought no one would ever win a suit against McDonald's for serving hot coffee. ;)

You've got to be an attorney......:rolleyes:

I've got to be an attorney? Why, because I see that this nation is swarming with frivolous lawsuits? I don't follow your logic.

I've said that I don't think it's right. That, unfortunately, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. People sue for their own stupidity all the time and win. It's a problem with our judicial system.

Archived