Bus from Progreso to Merida

Vibe

I will be visiting Progreso. I would like to visit Merida by taking the city bus. Has anyone taken the city bus to Merida ? If so, how often does it stop in Progreso and Merida ? Where do you board the bus ? Is there enough time to take that trip and return to the ship before 3 pm ?

Any information and advice would be appreciated.

There's plenty of time. There is bus service from the plaza where the courtesy bus from the ship drops you. $7 or 8, RT. Or you can get directions to the bus terminal, walk the three or four blocks and pay

$3 RT. The ride to Merida only takes 30 to 40 minutes. When you arrive at the Medrida terminal walk out to the street (Calle 60) turn right and walk

3 blocks to the central square and the historical area. Very easy. Merida is a beautiful REAL Mexican city. Not at all like Cancun or Cozumel.

• 4 weeks later...

I would be very hesitant to take the bus. I did that last week and it was a mistake! I wish I'd just hired a cab driver for the day. But, since I figure myself to be fairly well travelled and have taken city busses plenty of time while travelling, I thought I would try it.

It was no problem getting to the bus station, or finding the square in Merida. What problems I did encounter were: Although they cruiseship tells you that US dollars are accepted, they dont tell you that no one has change and most of the people have no idea of the currency exchange from dollars to pesos. I speak some Spanish, but found my limited Spanish was not enough. Though I got to Merida and the square, there were no tours. I did go to the tourism office but with my limited Spanish and their limited English, it was pretty much a bust. We sat around on the square for about an hour and window shopped, then we got back on the bus and rode back to Progresso. Pretty much a waste of a morning. I enjoyed Progresso that afternoon though, but if I go back to Merida it will be with a tour or at the very least a cab driver who speaks English!

Starketcher. Sorry you didn't take a cab or carriage ride out to Paseo Montejo. Beautiful European style blvd. Very upscale, even the Walmart is the prettiest I've seen anywhere. Even underground parking and escalators.

No sidewalk cafes? Carriage rides are $20. Some pretty good restaurants too.

• 1 month later...
Starketcher. Sorry you didn't take a cab or carriage ride out to Paseo Montejo. Beautiful European style blvd. Very upscale, even the Walmart is the prettiest I've seen anywhere. Even underground parking and escalators.

No sidewalk cafes? Carriage rides are $20. Some pretty good restaurants too.

We will be making our 3rd adventure to the new port and have done the beach. We are interested in taking the bus to Merida and tour on our own. I understand you have spent some land time ther and would appreciate some input.

We speak very little if no Spanish, but feel we can see soem sites with out being very knowledgable in the language.

Big Daddy. Email me at hdawson228@aol.com. I'll send some information and many pics. I'll be returning to Merida in Oct for two weeks and I speak no Spanish other than Hola. Every currency exchange in Merida posts the exchange rate in the window for either cash or traveler's checks which varies just a little bit. For rough figuring think 10:1. It is a good idea to bring small denominations in any foreign country.

In the mean time check out http://www.yucatantoday.com

The Merida bus from the flea market/plaza in Progreso is $7 or $8 RT. You can ask directions to the Progreso bus terminal (3 or 4 blocks) and pay

$2 or $3 RT. The Merida terminal is just a 3 block walk to the central plaza in the historic area.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree about the bus being a very good way to go, and certainly our time in Merida was not a bust! I prepared in advance by looking at the pictures of Hdawson, and internet - had maps, knew what there was to see there, and what we might be interested in seeing (my DH is a Wal-Mart manager, so of course we had to go there!) At the bus station in Progreso they certainly knew how much they needed in US currency. Also, all the information I read on these boards told me to take small bills - so we had probably $200 singles for the entire cruise - to use in every port! Don't get stuck needing change - prepare in advance!

If you don't like big cities, go to the ruins or stay in Progreso and sit on the beach, eating good food and enjoying good beer. There is really something for everyone at this port.

Archived