Hungary money

npphotog

Am going on a Holland to Hungary cruise August 1st. Can I use euros in Hungary? My local bank will exchange U.S. to Hungary money but there is a $100 minimum U.S. Too much for what I want to use it for as we will only be there two days. Would appreciate it very much if anyone on this board had been there and can advise me about using euros there. Thanks, Willard

You can use euros easily in Hungary In Budapest both dollars or euros will be exchaned by most vendors or merchants. You can obtain small amounts of Forints from atms. There is a Citi bank located at the northe end of Vaci Street.

Spent 6 days in Hungary last Fall, including 2 in Budapest. Except for the pure tourist trinket shops we found they did not want euros or US dollars. (I don't know about restaurants in major hotels as we stayed in pensions and B&Bs.) It is so very easy to get local currency from the many ATM machines. You could usually get as little as the equivalent of $20US, although the our US bank fee was the same whether you took out the equivalent of $20US or $200US at a time.

I second the ATMs - I've never obtained money prior to a trip, and just work out how much I need for each country and withdraw from an ATM. It's also kind of fun to have a few dollars worth left over as kind of a souvenier. Especially neat to have my French francs and Italian lire now that they're out of use.

Archived