Gemstones

mompolo

We are going on our next cruise in 3 weeks - Western Caribbean.

I have always got a nice piece of jewelry on each cruise but I don't have any plans for what to get on this next one. I have 3 tanzanite rings (my favorite) and I was hoping that someone could give me an idea of something different/interesting to look for when I am down there?? Is there something that I can get there - that you can't find here??

Any and all suggestions are welcome - I could talk about jewelry all day long!! lol

I have always got a nice piece of jewelry on each cruise but I don't have any plans for what to get on this next one. I have 3 tanzanite rings (my favorite) and I was hoping that someone could give me an idea of something different/interesting to look for when I am down there?? Is there something that I can get there - that you can't find here??

Any and all suggestions are welcome - I could talk about jewelry all day long!! lol

I don't buy jewelry down there anymore, but it seems like a lot of places sell black coral.......it's really pretty

What does caymonite look like?? Is it expensive??

Thanks!!

no it is very affordable. it is a very natural looking stone. mine is a creamy color oblong stone with stripes of other colors,(different shades of brown, some lighter oranges) all circling around it. all stones that i saw were earthy colors. i found it in the touristy area on grand cayman. i don't remember name of the shop.

I googled the caymonite and saw several pictures - very pretty and I will be sure to see what I can find.

I forgot about Mexican Fire Opal - I remember liking them on my 2nd cruise - I think I'll keep my eyes open for them too.

Thanks for the suggestions -

I am kind of partial to blue diamonds. I find them so striking! You can go high-end and buy a Sophia Fiori (SF) blue diamond or the regular blue diamonds. Either are very stiking. In 2008, I bought a Sophia Fiori Penelope blue diamond ring with eight white diamonds around it. There are also five white diamonds on each side of the band, all set in white gold. I also bought earings and a necklace on subsequent cruises (not SF). I realize that everyone's preferences are different, so shop around. You'll know when you see it. Good luck!

I am kind of partial to blue diamonds. I find them so striking! You can go high-end and buy a Sophia Fiori (SF) blue diamond or the regular blue diamonds. Either are very stiking. In 2008, I bought a Sophia Fiori Penelope blue diamond ring with eight white diamonds around it. There are also five white diamonds on each side of the band, all set in white gold. I also bought earings and a necklace on subsequent cruises (not SF). I realize that everyone's preferences are different, so shop around. You'll know when you see it. Good luck!

I too, love the Blue Diamond. Just got back from Western (Costa Maya, Cozumel, Progresso). I purchased a Blue and White Diamond ring that had an heirloom look to it. As for a more reasonable stone, the Mystic Topaz is gorgeous. Got that one in Cozumel.

I live in a large city and never see much selection of certain gems available. You walk into most jewelry shops in your area and they probably won't even have one Mexican Fire opal pair of earrings alone a large selection.

It's all about what you want, if you can afford it without missing your mortgage payment, impulse fun buying on vacation is fine as long as you have the means to do so. Just don't ever think you are making a good investment and plan on selling to recoup your money. That most likely will never happen.

I think it harsh and to make a blanket statement to not buy while in the islands. Why not? It's all relative to each individual.

The bride who chooses a pretty piece of jewelry with her new husband while on their honeymoon cruise will tell you her new bracelet is 'priceless'.

i bought some Larimar that is a very pretty stone, also purchased from jewelry television which is equally as nice and for what i got was much cheaper...i LOVE jewelry but wont pay alot for anything that i couldnt return, so i pick up something inexpensive in each port but leave the $$$ purchases for closer to home.

Caymanite is on my list for the Caymans and looking for some Rasafarian inspired jewelry in Jamaica.

Archived