Which Credit Card Air Reward Program?

Ocean Spirit

I'm trying to select a credit card to build flight mileage for future cruise trips.

I live in a city that most airlines fly into.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a specific airline that has provided good programs to obtain miles? I've also have heard its very hard to redeem your miles for the times you want to fly.... any airlines better than others to redeem earned miles?

Actually, If you have a preference for Norwegian Cruises, you can get an NCL MAstercard...no annual fee, u earn 3 points per $100 spent, 4 points per $100 if during a cruise, and can earn $500 certificates, up to $1000 per year and use like cash to pay for your cruise. My wife and I both got one so we can combine certificates and actually have twice the advantages. Here's a link for more info if you're interested: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=138661

Your are better off paying cash for your air and using the MBNA card to discount the cruise. You will save a lot more then the price of air. You need to spend $25,000 to get a $200 airplane ticket. That same amount on MBNA would give you $750 - $1000 off your cruise.

Although I agree with Shoreguy about better bennies with the NCL MBNA, if you're dead set on getting an airline card, with the Capitol One "Go Miles" card, points can be used for any airline and it's so many points for so many dollars of airfare. It's pretty painless and no block-out dates. If you want more detail, I can have my DH post.

"What's in your wallet?"

I live in Canada so the rules might be different between Canada and U.S. I have found out that I can use my points for the airfare, but you have to pay cash for the taxes etc. They almost amounted to the same price as the ticket, so was not worth it to use the miles for the air portion. Better check this out first.

Archived