Another Nativeway Question

lbfluffy

We booked with Nativeway and I have been reading positive reviews. However I have also read where people got back to pier when the last tender was ready to go. I do not want to be that late. I like to leave a little bit of breathing room without having to run to the tender. I know my husband would hate that. Plus we want to get some rum cakes by the pier and alcohol. Looks like that isn't possible either. Anyone have experience with the company and not have much time to get back on ship?

Thanks.

If you want to buy alcohol, you'll need to do it before the excursion. You can't carry it out of the store, they deliver to the ship. I think you have to buy it an hour or two before the ship leaves or they won't sell it to you.

Are you doing the Rays, Reef and Rum Point tour? If so, you probably won't have a lot of shopping time after. But the tender line is usually pretty long, so if you shop close to the tender area, you can keep an eye on the line.

Also, they sell the rum cakes on the ship. Probably not all flavors are available on the ship, but you can buy some there.

We booked with Nativeway and I have been reading positive reviews. However I have also read where people got back to pier when the last tender was ready to go. I do not want to be that late. I like to leave a little bit of breathing room without having to run to the tender. I know my husband would hate that. Plus we want to get some rum cakes by the pier and alcohol. Looks like that isn't possible either. Anyone have experience with the company and not have much time to get back on ship?

Thanks.

I booked the Rays, Reef and Rum Point tour with them a couple of years ago.

We were told that we would be back with plenty of time to shop and get back on our ship.

(should have been 90 minutes or so if I remember correctly)

They were very unorganized the day we went.

The Nativeway people kept arguing about who was supposed to go in which bus to the boats.

Then they argued at the boats, who was supposed to go on which boat.

Then they apparently still screwed up who was on which of their 3 excursions and we wound up having to stop twice and meet each of the other two boats to swap out passengers, they put on the wrong boats.

We wound up running late after 10-15 minutes of swapping passengers twice.

By the time we got to Rum Point, we had less than 45 minutes. (I think it was advertised as 90 minutes there) Barely enough time to scarf down our lunch and hit the bathroom there.

Then we arrived back at the boat dock with less than an hour until the last tender. (we had people from 3 different ships in our van. One couple from a RCCL ship had less than 30 minutes.)

Our driver kept saying we had PLENTY of time.

Heading back to the ship, the road came to a crawl over a mile from the pier.

Driver kept saying, "no worries, no worries".

We got a few blocks away and those of us on the Freedom said screw it and bailed out and ran for the pier, as we only had a few minutes before final tender.

We got back just in time to be in the last group filling the last tender. (maybe 5 minutes to spare.)

Nativeways gets mostly good reviews.

I will give them the benefit of the doubt that they were just having a very bad day.

I found them a little too unprofessional, so I have booked Stingray Sailing for my last two stops in GC and have been much happier with their service and organization.

Bill

I think the time you arrive is ships time and I believe it depends on which port you depart from! We leave from galveston (central time) and we arrive at 7am ships time which is 8am eastern time and the tour leaves at 8.15 ships tme (9.15 ET) arrive back at 1.30 central time (2.30 ET) ship leaves at 4pm Central time so we have lots of time!!!!!!!!!!! I hope I got that right as Sharon explained to me!

Just remember that your ship stays on the time of the port you depart from.

Eastern or Central, Daylight savings or standard time, depending upon time of the year.

Grand Cayman is always on Eastern STANDARD time.

They never spring ahead or fall back to observe Daylight savings time.

Bill

I booked the Rays, Reef and Rum Point tour with them a couple of years ago.

We were told that we would be back with plenty of time to shop and get back on our ship.

(should have been 90 minutes or so if I remember correctly)

They were very unorganized the day we went.

The Nativeway people kept arguing about who was supposed to go in which bus to the boats.

Then they argued at the boats, who was supposed to go on which boat.

Then they apparently still screwed up who was on which of their 3 excursions and we wound up having to stop twice and meet each of the other two boats to swap out passengers, they put on the wrong boats.

We wound up running late after 10-15 minutes of swapping passengers twice.

By the time we got to Rum Point, we had less than 45 minutes. (I think it was advertised as 90 minutes there) Barely enough time to scarf down our lunch and hit the bathroom there.

Then we arrived back at the boat dock with less than an hour until the last tender. (we had people from 3 different ships in our van. One couple from a RCCL ship had less than 30 minutes.)

Our driver kept saying we had PLENTY of time.

Heading back to the ship, the road came to a crawl over a mile from the pier.

Driver kept saying, "no worries, no worries".

We got a few blocks away and those of us on the Freedom said screw it and bailed out and ran for the pier, as we only had a few minutes before final tender.

We got back just in time to be in the last group filling the last tender. (maybe 5 minutes to spare.)

Nativeways gets mostly good reviews.

I will give them the benefit of the doubt that they were just having a very bad day.

I found them a little too unprofessional, so I have booked Stingray Sailing for my last two stops in GC and have been much happier with their service and organization.

Bill

Nativeway got it right for us this past March. They have definitely learned something in the last two years and I would highly recommend them. We did the stingrays, coral gardens and Rum Point beach with them and had an excellent day. We had plenty of time at all three stops and the guides were very knowledgeable, helpful and fun. Sharon picked us up at Rum Point right on time and dropped us to the port because we were the only ones that took the Rum Point beach portion of the tour. She was a great tour guide and was very friendly and chatty during the almost 40 minute drive back to port. We would have had plenty of time to go to town to do some shopping if we chose but we just went back to the ship.

We just booked the Rays, Reef and Rum Point! Very excited!!! I am still a bit worried about getting back to the ship intime....If the ship leaves at 4pm what time will the tenders stop running? We are suppose to be back at the pier at 3pm, is that enough time?:confused:

We just booked the Rays, Reef and Rum Point! Very excited!!! I am still a bit worried about getting back to the ship intime....If the ship leaves at 4pm what time will the tenders stop running? We are suppose to be back at the pier at 3pm, is that enough time?:confused:

Usually last tender is 30 min. prior to sail time. We get back a t 2:00. 3:00 is cutting it close. Maybe you have Cayman time and ships time different. Nativeway usually runs on ship time.

I am also looking at the Rays, Reef and Rum Point tour. My family will be on the Navigator of the Seas and will be in port from 8:00am to 5:00pm. I emailed Sharon with a couple questions. She said that we will be back to port long before the last tender leaves. Since I am going in November, the ship time (eastern time) and port time should be the same. For those who have taken the tour, I was wondering what time did you return to port? Did you enjoy the tour (looks like they get good reviews)? Thanks

Usually last tender is 30 min. prior to sail time. We get back a t 2:00. 3:00 is cutting it close. Maybe you have Cayman time and ships time different. Nativeway usually runs on ship time.

Her email said 3:00 ship time...I think that is cutting it very close. I am a bit nervous about it...I'm sure it will be fine!

• 2 weeks later...
Her email said 3:00 ship time...I think that is cutting it very close. I am a bit nervous about it...I'm sure it will be fine!

Was just in Grand Cayman Friday on the Legend.

Port time was from 10am to 6pm.

Last tender was at 5pm.

Looked out our balcony at 5:35pm and we had already pulled away from the dock.

So make sure you beat whatever time your ship posts.

Bill

we are on the Legend and only in port til 4pm.

Our tour with nativeways gets done at 2pm- i feel comfortable with that time.

Nativeways do understand the importance of making it back to the ship on time. Their livelyhood depends on the ship people- if people do not make it back people will stop booking the private vendors.

--

if shopping is important I would not do a tour. For one there may not be enough time for them to ship it back to the ship.

If you are doing the island tour-- they stop at the rum cake factory-- which you can buy your alcohol there and they will ship.

The tender line is long by the end of the day-- they will not abruptly stopp running tender just because its time.

Just make sure you are on the right tender-- there will be lots of ships in port withyou

Just got back from the Carnival Liberty sailing Sept. 24th - Oct. 1st. We took the stingray, reef snorkle and rum beach tour with Nativeway. we were met first thing at the pier area and left on time to begin our tour. This is a wonderful company that is not only informative about the island, but also wants to make sure you have a good time.

We had taken the Stingray and Island tour (Hell, Turtle Farm & island tour) last November with Nativeway. There was 10 of us at that time and we had a great time then as well.

When my husband and I were trying to decide on a tour for this time in Grand Cayman, we definately thought of something with Nativeway because we appreciated the way we were treated with them in the past and how they tried to make sure we had a good, but informative trip.

This excursion was definately a good time. I would definately recommend them to anyone looking for a tour in Grand Cayman.

Thanks for the review. We are using Native way in April of 2012, and taking the same tour. Can you post pics, or some info about the beach part?

We did grand cayman a couple of weeks ago with Native way too. It was great, my favorite day of the cruise.

As for info about the beach it was very laid back and comfortable. The food was fresh and good. The prices are high after the conversion so it was very nice that it was included. A virgin (I'm prego) drink was $8 USD. But all the tables and beach chairs are free to use and there weren't a bunch of venders. They had showers and changing areas too. I didn't get any pictures of the area but here is a pic of the beach and the peir.

1268408290_092111_1685lowresforposting.jpg.481ad66ce65e0682a1df9d6a73a7f14a.jpg

1406444423_092111_1698lowresforposting.jpg.7425cd359902156f406dd41d78cb2d39.jpg

we are on the Legend and only in port til 4pm.

Our tour with nativeways gets done at 2pm- i feel comfortable with that time.

Nativeways do understand the importance of making it back to the ship on time. Their livelyhood depends on the ship people- if people do not make it back people will stop booking the private vendors.

--

if shopping is important I would not do a tour. For one there may not be enough time for them to ship it back to the ship.

If you are doing the island tour-- they stop at the rum cake factory-- which you can buy your alcohol there and they will ship.

The tender line is long by the end of the day-- they will not abruptly stopp running tender just because its time.

Just make sure you are on the right tender-- there will be lots of ships in port withyou

I aggree with the above. We just used Nativeway and they were great and very organized. I thought we would cut it close but the tender line was crazy long. They can't stop the tenders untill the 100s of people still in line get on. They stoped the tenders much latter then they said they would. And and the tour operators know if they get someone back late they won't get any more CruiseCritic people, they wouldn't take the chance. You really only have time for shopping inside of the peir area while someone else stands in-line for you.

Thanks.

We went with Nativeways for our april 11 trip with RRR tour. There was plenty of time to purchase drinks and rum cakes right at the port area shop and they delivered it to the boat for us. Did have to worry a bit. We weren't late, had about 45 minutes to browse in the port area when we got back, but the lines to get back on the ship were terrible. It took about an hour and a half. Thank goodness for the slushies! We are thinking about going back and doing this excursion again. BTW get the jerk dinner!! it was scrumptious!!!

We're thinking about this excursion in January. We're on Carnival Conquest and in port from 7 am to 4 pm. Since this is a tender port I want to make sure we have plenty of time and don't get stressed. When you did this, do you rembember what time they have you back to the ship? Thanks!

We're thinking about this excursion in January. We're on Carnival Conquest and in port from 7 am to 4 pm. Since this is a tender port I want to make sure we have plenty of time and don't get stressed. When you did this, do you rembember what time they have you back to the ship? Thanks!

I don't rember what time we got back exactly but to be honest you don't need to worry. They'll get you back in plenty of time to wait in the very long tender line. Carnival won't leave when there are hundreds of people still in line. They didn't finish with tenders untill at least 30 min after they were supposed to. Nativeway knows the when the ships come and go better then we do so let them stress.

Archived