Calypso Train Tour, Belize City

summercruising

My husband and I are cruising with friends. They didn't want to do any water excursions or zip lining. Recent surgery makes it where we can't be gone on all day excursions. We are also not big drinkers. We had a horrible time choosing an excursion but finally decided on the Calypso Train. Have any of y'all done this excursion and what else is there to do in Belize? We are going to Mayan Ruins in other ports. I have a terrible feeling that I will be very disappointed in Belize.

I picked the same excursion for similar reasons. We didn't want to do ruins or cave tubing or beach, and this seemed to be the only remaining option. Also, for some reason the Belize excursions seemed REALLY overpriced to me as compared to other ports. This was the cheapest available on NCL, and will give us some priority on the tenders. Hope someone chimes in with some feedback! I did find a short video someone took while on the tour, apparently of the poorest area they went through - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5oc2uGhcsA. The shore excursion reviews on the NCL website said it was decent though.

my husband and I did the calypso train in 2009. we enjoyed the tour, the guide was very informative about the history of belize. lots of info about the schools, government etc.. be prepared though, the city outside the port complex is very poor.

Who is offering this tour? It sounds like a nice break from the beach:eek: I know I dared to say that.

It's offered through NCL, but I don't know if any other lines offer it. I know what you mean about the beach though - one beach day is enough for my group. This trip we're doing our beach day in Costa Maya at Nohoch Key - so nice there!!!

• 1 month later...

I just got back from my cruise, and since we did the Calypso Train Tour I thought I'd post my thoughts. I thought it was worth the time to do. It showed us both the wealthy and poor sides of Belize City, and the guide was quite informative about their culture. A lot of people we passed waved to us on the train, and seemed very friendly. We drove down a few streets that I would never have done on foot, but I didn't feel unsafe on the train. It was about an hour long, and they gave us complimentary bottled water and plantain chips. One thing I should mention is that the second you step out of the confines of the port area, people start to accost you to sell you stuff. A simply "no thanks" works, but it was still a lot pushier than they are within the main part of the port.

Archived