8 yr old first snorkel

cabotpanther

It really just depends on your child. We snorkeled in Cozumel with our 5 kids and one was 8 and one 9 at the time. It was very difficult. If the water is anything but very smooth, it is even harder. They will need to adjust and fix their mask and that is hard to do when you are floating/bobbing around (even with a life vest). It is so much easier when you can stand up. Depending on the boat, it may be difficult to get in and out of the boat.

If you child is easy going, independent and a strong swimmer, then maybe I would. You can also practice in the deep end of a pool with a life vest on.

I would go with a Capt. Marvin Stingray City excursion rather than snorkeling off the beach. Stingray City is really not a snorkel stop, but rather standing on the sand bar, and it's a highlight of any trip to Grand Cayman. The next stop is for pure snorkeling, with instruction and help from the boat hands. If your son doesn't adapt well to snorkeling, he has still had the thrill of swimming with the stingrays. I agree that practicing snorkeling in a pool is a good idea. It doesn't have to have to be in the deep end.

Archived