Whats The Deal With Food Gripes??

ahracer

Sorry ahracer, there are those people that just dont get it or been spoon fed all their lives. But we still need them so we can laugh about it, as for me, I love food !!! (oh wow, where did you get that?) no matter what or where it comes from, if it Gets into my Belly Im happy!!

Our forces in Iraq eat them and survive - must be better than Princess inedible food.

Ron

Speaking of 'inedible' food?? What's up with the McDonald's attraction down south?!?!

We went thru Chicago when we flew to FLL..and at 9:30am, I couldn't believe the lineups at all the McD's at the airport, and it seemed that every 2nd person was carrying around a SUPER SIZE drink and a McD's bag?!?!

Are Americans big on fast food in general or is McD's a special draw?!?! I guess it seemed odd to the 4 of us..as we get to McD's maybe 2 or 3 times a year, if that.

Can't say anything about Princess food as my first cruise on this line isn't till next month. But as to cruise food in general, it is very subjective, but the ones who complain always make me wonder. :confused: Celebrity food is always raved over and to be honest, it was my least favorite, still good, but overall, I didn't enjoy it as much. The best dish I ever had was from the buffet on embarcation day on the Sovereign of the Seas. It was an herb encrusted fish in a butter sauce - YUMM! I almost made myself sick I ate so much! I guess some people just have too high expectations. I guess I'm just so dayum happy to be on a ship that everything seems a little sweeter, it makes everything taste good!

This April will be my first Princess cruise, so I was a little alarmed by some of the posts, good to see some balance in this board.

I find that the food tastes better in certain circumstances. When we lived in France, the simplest plate would taste great because we were in some fantastic setting, or had an incredible view or wait person. On the one and only X cruise we took, I was impressed by the show. ..The tight places the staff had to use and balance they used. We had some good meals, but the best eating we remembered were the waffles in the AM sitting on the aft deck, in the sun watching the world go by. The waffles were the same I get back home, but they tasted better on board.

I know two different people will find the same meal either great or bad, but the staff will replace it or you can go to the buffet. I just hate to hear complaining, PERIOD, when I am in a resturant, and if the complaining will not stop, I will order more wine, for everyone.:p

One thing to remember is that your better restaurants do not have to feed upwards of 500 people who have suddenly sat down all at once. Using the best of the best upscale restaurants as the benchmark upon which to judge food served in the dining room is more than a little unfair, and creates expectations that are unlikely to be met.

Speaking of 'inedible' food?? What's up with the McDonald's attraction down south?!?!

We went thru Chicago when we flew to FLL..and at 9:30am, I couldn't believe the lineups at all the McD's at the airport, and it seemed that every 2nd person was carrying around a SUPER SIZE drink and a McD's bag?!?!

Are Americans big on fast food in general or is McD's a special draw?!?! I guess it seemed odd to the 4 of us..as we get to McD's maybe 2 or 3 times a year, if that.

I only eat there a few times a year but everytime I wonder the same thing.

But now on the flip side McD's in Calgary always seem to be pretty busy so it isn't just us south of the border.

Scott

OK--so Princess ain't 5 star food. I like spicy food, and sometimes I find Princess' food too bland for my taste. On the other hand, if you don't like something, where else but a cruise will they bring you everything on the menu for no extra charge until you eventually find something you like?

The everyday menu also gives you a bail-out opportunity if you don't like the regular menu (I thought the Caribbean Night menu on the CP was a little weird). I could have eaten the excellent fettucine alfredo in the cheese basket or the sirloin steak and baked potato and the Love Boat Dream every day, so long as a defibrillator was around somewhere. Or, suffered through all you could eat lobster, shrimp and crab at Cafe Caribe! Not a bad alternative!

Les

I had one cruise on RCCL where I could not find ANYTHING to eat one night in the dining room. I cannot eat meat, dairy, or eggs. I actually had the waiter and head waiter raise their voices ( yell?) at me as I wouldn't order. I asked for the dishes to be modified to eliminate eggs and dairy and they said they couldn't....I did go up the the buffet afterward and find some things to eat....

I have had one Princess cruise and we are going on the Sun in April. I find enough food that is okay, but the cruise lines do leave a little to be desired when you can't eat a standard American diet.

I think one of the attractions about food on a cruise is that it may vary a from the “standard American” diet. Why would I want to experience standard American food when I’m traveling on an international ship? If I want standard, I’ll stay home.

As for specialized diets, when turning out 1000 meals per sitting, it’s difficult to change ingredients for one plate. Princess suggests that special dietary needs be communicated to the cruise line before one sails so that the passengers can be appropriately accommodated. You can, however, mix different menu items on one plate if you so desire – I saw a family order this way last year on Sun Princess. Of course, be prepared for service to slow down a bit if you do that – they have specially plate the items.

Princess food has never disappointed me, and on my last cruise on Regal Princess, the food in the dining room during the evening meal was brilliant. I made a couple of bad choices, but that was my fault and certainly not the kitchen’s fault. Most impressive was the Most Traveled Passenger Luncheon – exquisite.

One question, rc51. You were disappointed in the food...it wasn't "amazing" or the "best ever" but you also said you were told "you'll never go hungry". DID you go hungry?? If so, you just weren't trying! :rolleyes:

My experience on the Golden and on the Grand is that they waiters and chefs absolutely knocked themselves out trying to please us - always. If someone didn't like something, they noticed and would quietly ask if they could bring something else.

I wonder if all of the people who complain a lot have had looked on the bright side of things. (Of course, I realize there isn't too bright a side of a raw burger. But just show them and ask for another.)

Cheer up!

Hi to All....

For me....somebody else cooking for me makes it a good meal :). I have been cooking professionally for 30 years (I'm 45) Princess food will be good, sometimes great. I know what I am paying for and for the money Princess gives me exactly what I expect at a better then fair value. Of course, when I went on Crystal, I did expect more and did receive it, but I had to pay for it. Those who complain lack the knowledge of my field to make a honest review. It doesn't mean that they are stupid, just unaware........Chef

spongerob said:

<<Food is an easy complaint because it is entirely subjective and therefore no effective counterargument can be made.>>

This is probably the most intelligent & concise posting that I've read in a very long time.

Linda

I will admit that on my very first cruise in 1986 on the old RCI Sun Viking, the food was incredibly magnificent! We also paid for an inside cabin about the same as we do now for a mini suite balcony cabin! From what I understand, you can still get superb, magnificant meals on the higher priced luxury liners. I can't afford those! I love gourmet food and do enjoy some of the gourmet food selections on Princess. No, there are not a lot of them but I do enjoy the overall price for the cruise. The food is good. I have never tasted horrible food on Princess, HAL, Celebrity or RCI. Many people rave about the food on Celebrity, I honestly didn't find anything different between Celebrity and Princess food in the no extra fee dinning rooms. I don't need free ice cream 24 hours a day. It is on Princess for free in the dinning rooms and every afternoon in Horizon Court. Bottom line--I can't think of any other type of vacation I can take where I get my hotel, island hopping transportation, food available 24 hours a day, housekeeping, room service and entertainment for any amount near close to the price of a Princess cruise!

Hey Scott--nice to keep running into you!

Diane

$2,900 for a 7-day cruise for 2 people equals out to $207.00 per person per day.

For $207.00 divide that by 2 for the room = $103.50 per person per day. That gives me $103.50 for 3 meals @ $34.50 for 3 meals a day.

$34.50 for breakfast in the Lido: WHAT?

Okay, let's minus out the tips: $140

Bring it on down to $27.00 a day for 3 meals!

I've never spent $27.00 (for even 2 people much less 1) on a breakfast.

Whatever you'all get out of being satisfied that's cool, but do the math when you think you're getting a great deal for lousy food.

$2,900 for a 7-day cruise for 2 people equals out to $207.00 per person per day.

For $207.00 divide that by 2 for the room = $103.50 per person per day. That gives me $103.50 for 3 meals @ $34.50 for 3 meals a day.

$34.50 for breakfast in the Lido: WHAT?

Okay, let's minus out the tips: $140

Bring it on down to $27.00 a day for 3 meals!

I've never spent $27.00 (for even 2 people much less 1) on a breakfast.

Whatever you'all get out of being satisfied that's cool, but do the math when you think you're getting a great deal for lousy food.

Excuse me but I don;t understand your post - are you suggesting that the entire cruise fee is just for food? What about the room, room services, entertainment, transportation, etc. - Are these considered free?

Ron

I also cannot comment on Princess food since my first Princess cruise is this October on the Sapphire. However, being regulars on Celebrity we have always found their food to be wonderful. No, I am sure I could name a few restaurants that would top it, but still the meals beat almost any meal we have at restaurants on a regular basis.

One thing we really enjoyed about the meals is the introductions to my children of many finer dining items. My son (9) turns out to love Escargot and Lobster (I could go one regarding food they get on a cruise that is not normally available to them). He would not have tried Excargot except for on a cruise. All 3 of my children name cruise ships when asked what their favorite restaurant is. I have great memories of my 3 children dressed to the T's on formal night ordering a 5 course "gourmet" meal. I hope and expect Princess will give us a similar experience.

One more comment regarding comments about not being happy with the food on a cruise ship. I see a lot of posts saying we should be happy with any cruise food because it is all good.

I agree you cannot compare cruise food to a 5 star restaurant where you will spend $150 per person for a single meal. I make my comparisons to other cruise ships I have been on. For example I have been on one NCL cruise(Norwegian Sea) and I would say the food was not that good. It was much better than a trip to any chain restaurant and we sure did not go hungry, however compared to Celebrity or RCCL I thought the food was overall not up to (or really close to) the quality of these other lines.

One question, rc51. You were disappointed in the food...it wasn't "amazing" or the "best ever" but you also said you were told "you'll never go hungry". DID you go hungry?? If so, you just weren't trying! :rolleyes:

My experience on the Golden and on the Grand is that they waiters and chefs absolutely knocked themselves out trying to please us - always. If someone didn't like something, they noticed and would quietly ask if they could bring something else.

I wonder if all of the people who complain a lot have had looked on the bright side of things. (Of course, I realize there isn't too bright a side of a raw burger. But just show them and ask for another.)

Cheer up!

No, I didn't go hungry, but I'm not really a big eater unless there's sushi or my Mom's curried shrimp on the table :D. I much prefer quality over quantity.

Maybe I came across wrong..I wasnt' disappointed in the food, but like I said, a little 'letdown'. We just shouldn't have listened to the 20 or so people we spoke to prior to our cruise, and actually just went with a more open mind. I think everyone we spoke to, OVER HYPED the cruise experience to an un-realistic level. But no fault of theirs...maybe to them it is just that... but to us, we're still getting our feet wet. I'm trying to convice my better half that we need to try Radisson or Crystal next... maybe that's the level we're looking for, but at 33 and 35, will we be too young?

Also, I thought there would be more of an 'international' cuisine on board, and more local stuff, but that could be just this cruise.

With the exception of a few fish dishes, most of the meals were standard American. I think they should add at least 1 spicy dish on each menu... (the 5 alarm type). :D

Also, I thought there would be more of an 'international' cuisine on board, and more local stuff, but that could be just this cruise.

You can't make everyone happy -unfortunately. I recall posters here complaining that baked beans were served in the breakfast buffet - that's international (British, anyway), but some viewed that as "cheap".

It is International - you can add Canada to the list for baked beans (not out of a can) for breakfast, lunch or dinner. How about the old Saturday night standby, hotdogs and beans:D

When people thoroughly enjoy themselves, whether on a cruise or land vacation, they tell everyone - what a absolutely wonderful time - "and the food was the best....." This then gets passed around and everyone says they just have to go because so and so had a great time and said the food was PERFECTION. Kinda like seeing a movie that got 5 stars from all the critics and your relatives and you thought it stunk :D

Remember - anticipation is better than realization

Right now I am anticipating wheels up on Saturday and

Aloha Deck on Sunday :) :)

We just got back Sunday from our first-ever cruise (Golden Princess--Southern Caribbean). I'd say almost all of the food was either good or excellent. The few disappointments were tough prime rib our first night (both of us had tough meat & we thought that was the norm, but prime rib later in the week was excellent & tender), very bland (not sweet) brownies in the Horizon Court (and yet they looked so good!) and a few other desserts there that just weren't very sweet (though that might be to some people's taste--we like our desserts sweet & buttery). Obviously, those things didn't deter us, though, as we gained 7 and 9 pounds each!

My husband's a picky, meat & potatoes type of guy. He was quite happy to have pizza or burgers every day for lunch and steak at dinner when he couldn't find something on the regular menu that appealed to him. I'd cruise through the Horizon Court, grabbing goulash, dim sum, chili, stir-fried vegetables or whatever struck my fancy & we'd walk out to the grill where he got his lunch. We loved being able to do that! Breakfasts at the HC were excellent (the best French toast I've ever had!). I loved the baked beans, too! And the Eggs Benedict were quite good.

Really, I had few complaints (and certainly no more than I'd have dining at a nice restaurant daily). I loved not cooking! All they need to do is remove all of the calories from their food so I don't gain so much next time, LOL!

A couple of tips....we took a plastic jug and after breakfast every day, we'd grab the big cups by the water/coffee & fill one each from the juice area (it usually took 2-3 juice cups to fill them) and took them back to our room & put them in the jug & into the fridge for drinks in the afternoon. Also, pack water bottles to fill with mostly ice & some water for shore excursions. We found the soda cards a good deal for us. It's amazing how much pop you can drink in a hot climate. I just wish they'd offer one other diet choice than Coke....I can't take the caffeine in the evening. Diet Sprite would be nice. And for those who were wondering, the ginger ale is included in the card, too.

With the exception of a few fish dishes, most of the meals were standard American. I think they should add at least 1 spicy dish on each menu... (the 5 alarm type). :D

We had plenty of international cuisine on our cruise from Sydney to Bangkok..and it's been like that on the other exotic cruises we've taken. So I think you're probably correct on this..it probably does matter where you're cruising...especially since some of the supplies come from the area.

We also had VB and Fosters beer, Steinlager from NZ and some Singapore beers.

I totally agree on the 5 alarm option! We love spicy food. But, we know that it's not going to be a realistic option so we ask our waiter for minced garlic, crushed red pepper flakes and a bottle of Tobasco to be on our table every night.

Also..the black pepper we had was some of the hottest I've ever tasted..it was great!

A couple of people have quoted my post on this subject. I appreciate the suggestions.

Yes, I know and have filled out the personalizer on the Princess site about food. I have notified my TA, and then called Princess to verify, and correct, the info provided to them by my TA....I have mailed Princess a letter. I do talk to the waiter/asst waiter, head waiter, and maitre'd in the dining room about my requirements once I am on board.

The best service, quality, and variety of food with my restrictions has been on one RCCL cruise, and also the worst, as I mentioned previously. I have cruised with RCCL, Celebrity, Carnival, Costa, and Princess. Princess and Celebrity do a much better job, from my perspective, on the buffets, and a decent job in the main dining room. I have learned to ask for and pick the veggie side items from main course dishes when possible. I travel with a list of suggested dishes so I can suggest alternatives to the head waiter when they ask what I want.

What tends to be lacking is desserts. Most are filled with dairy and eggs. Usually on Princess they will offer a fruit plate or perhaps sorbet. Since I eat fruit at breakfast and during the day, more fruit at dinner for dessert isn't too exciting.

I have come to learn on a cruise I will have enough to eat and it will be fine, but meals aren't the highlight of the cruise for me, as it is for some. I won't be trying to eat 18 lobster tails, etc! On the other hand with the extra walking and taking the stairs while on the cruise, I don't gain weight, and once lost two pounds!

Archived