Europe on Princess small ship or Oceania

Dena

DH and I found an itinerary that we really like on one of the small ships of Princess. We have never sailed on a Princess small ship and have a number of concerns. Since DH has Celiac disease, Princess has always advised him to avoid the buffet. If we get wait listed for late seating, I am very worried because we may be late in returning from shore excursions and we like to watch the sail aways. So early dining won't work. Princess, I assume will not deliver his pre-arranged gluten free dinner to the buffet, or might they on such a small ship? We could also just opt out and go the the specialty restaurants, but when I add in the cost, I find we could sail Oceania for maybe only 5% more during a recent promotion. Perhaps a similar promotion will be offered in the future.

On Oceania we will have open seating so we can dine alone each night whenever we want. This is what we always do on Princess, but unfortunately, Princess has decided not to offer this option on its small ships. Also, Oceania does not have formal nights, another plus given that we will already have enough luggage with DH's C-Pap and my mattress topper. Finally, Oceania is more restrictive with smoking, although Princess, has made great progress in this area. Yet, we prefer the Princess itinerary. Are there any other factors we should be thinking about. Doses anyone here have experience with both lines?

Have a look at Azamara as well. Same R ships as Oceania and the baby Princess's but has a more restrictive smoking policy than Oceania (absolutely no smoking anywhere inside the ship), open seating, resort casual and best of all wine is included at lunch and dinner. Oceania has more ports, Azamara has more overnights - just another option:)

We have sailed on both Princess (Tahitian - now Ocean Princess and Pacific Princess) and Oceania, and for me I would choose Princess first. The problem is, the things that draw me to Princess may not be things that are important to you. On our two small ship cruises on Princess, we traveled with our daughter the first time, and had a table for just the three of us, and the second time it was just the two of us and we had a table for two. While we prefer early dining, we sometimes passed the dining room during late dining, and the room was never more than half full. I don't think you will have to worry about being wait listed for late dining.

On Oceania, if you didn't see something on the menu for dinner that appealed to you, it was no use trying to find something different in the buffet, as they served the same things both places.

We use our computer to keep in touch with home while we are cruising, and have sailed enough with Princess to get some free time. There is no free internet for anyone on Oceania, which left us searching for wi-fi on port days, instead of enjoying the port. The strange thing about this is that if you book a suite they supply you with a computer, but no free minutes - and their rates are much higher than Princess.

Oceania promised free shuttle service to the city when docked a distance away. It never happened. They promised gourmet dining. That didn't happen either. Cold eggs benedict just doesn't appeal to me, and when I complained and they made me a new dish it was just as cold.

The gratuities were higher than Princess, and drinks and wine were much higher priced. The outstanding service they promise didn't happen. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't any better than what we get on Princess.

I think you should choose based on the itinerary you like the best. I know that I would. I received a promotion from Oceania just yesterday, and even with their 2 for 1, free airfare, and up to $3500 extra savings offered, I don't think I'll be booking with them in 2012. I'm comfortable with Princess, and in 3 weeks will be sailing with them because I have a good time, and they meet my needs. Your needs are different from mine, and you have to find the one that works best for you. I hope whatever you choose, you have a wonderful trip.

DH and I found an itinerary that we really like on one of the small ships of Princess. We have never sailed on a Princess small ship and have a number of concerns. Since DH has Celiac disease, Princess has always advised him to avoid the buffet. If we get wait listed for late seating, I am very worried because we may be late in returning from shore excursions and we like to watch the sail aways. So early dining won't work. Princess, I assume will not deliver his pre-arranged gluten free dinner to the buffet, or might they on such a small ship? We could also just opt out and go the the specialty restaurants, but when I add in the cost, I find we could sail Oceania for maybe only 5% more during a recent promotion. Perhaps a similar promotion will be offered in the future.

On Oceania we will have open seating so we can dine alone each night whenever we want. This is what we always do on Princess, but unfortunately, Princess has decided not to offer this option on its small ships. Also, Oceania does not have formal nights, another plus given that we will already have enough luggage with DH's C-Pap and my mattress topper. Finally, Oceania is more restrictive with smoking, although Princess, has made great progress in this area. Yet, we prefer the Princess itinerary. Are there any other factors we should be thinking about. Doses anyone here have experience with both lines?

I get the distinct impression that you want to be told to stay with Oceania instead of Princess. Where did you get the idea you can't gave a table for two on the small ships? Completely false. The MD on a small ship will work with you regarding the gluten free diet and probably more easily than on a ship with 3000 passengers.

We have cruised with both. I love Oceania for its anytime dining and also for no formal nights which does make it easier to pack especially when we have such huge air flights. The one drawback with Oceania is the price. WE cannot justify the considerable difference in price between a PH on Oceania and a mini suite on Princess.

Also we are Elite on Princess which gives us so many perks. We only cruise on the smaller ships and we have also been on Azamara which even though it is very similar to Oceania it occasionally has some good bargains and also some great itineraries.

There are plenty of tables for two in the main dining room of the Ocean and Pacific Princess which seems to be the main reason why you wouldn't choose Princess. Of course if your husband needs to have a meal at a certain time then I would opt for Oceania as there are 4 different restaurants that you can choose from.

If it were me and Princess has the better itinerary, then I would choose Princess and try and get a table for 2 and use the money you save for spending or excursions whilst you away. I know the difference in price would be quite considerable.

Jennie

Archived