Ever take a cruise and get off only once or never?

flagger

I was on the Victory a year or so ago and it was a Southern Caribbean itinerary. I was in a 1-A single cabin with a twin bed and at about 4 a.m. on the first night, my mattress attacked me. :eek: It threw me out of bed and then landed on top of me sideways, pinning me on the floor between the bed frame and the porthole wall in total darkness.

I was a little banged up and knew I shouldn't walk around much during the next few days. Apparently the mattress wasn't secured to the bed frame and each time I would roll over during the night it would scoot another couple of inches until it was overbalanced and sent me to the floor.

That first port I missed was Dominica, which was the only one I hadn't been to before. I had previously been to all the other ports. I wound up spending all seven days on the ship, but really enjoyed it in a lot of ways. It was total relaxation, it saved me a lot of money I would have spent on shopping and food and drink, and I read about five books.

On a 7-day Splendor to Cabo San Lucas cruise in April of 2009, my roomie remarked that she would love to take a 7-day cruise to nowhere sometime. We almost did. That was the week the Swine Flu broke out and Mexico was closed. We wound up with 6 sea days and our only port was San Francisco, where it was 53 degrees and raining.

Be careful what you wish for. :eek::D:eek:

[quote=WeBeCruisin';30564697]I was on the Victory a year or so ago and it was a Southern Caribbean itinerary. I was in a 1-A single cabin with a twin bed and at about 4 a.m. on the first night, my mattress attacked me. :eek: It threw me out of bed and then landed on top of me sideways, pinning me on the floor between the bed frame and the porthole wall in total darkness.

I was a little banged up and knew I shouldn't walk around much during the next few days. Apparently the mattress wasn't secured to the bed frame and each time I would roll over during the night it would scoot another couple of inches until it was overbalanced and sent me to the floor.

That first port I missed was Dominica, which was the only one I hadn't been to before. I had previously been to all the other ports. I wound up spending all seven days on the ship, but really enjoyed it in a lot of ways. It was total relaxation, it saved me a lot of money I would have spent on shopping and food and drink, and I read about five books.

On a 7-day Splendor to Cabo San Lucas cruise in April of 2009, my roomie remarked that she would love to take a 7-day cruise to nowhere sometime. We almost did. That was the week the Swine Flu broke out and Mexico was closed. We wound up with 6 sea days and our only port was San Francisco, where it was 53 degrees and raining.

Be careful what you wish for. :eek::D:eek:[/quote]

sorry you tangled with your mattress.:eek: I love the Victory ports and would have been very disappointed. We cruise for the ports and have stayed on board only once ... Belize (third time there). I guess I would
rather stay at an all inclusive than a cruise to nowhere.

When I saw the title of this thread, my initial thought was... WHY?! Well, everyone has a valid point but for me, if there is nothing interesting at the port, then we do the beach excursion. :)

LOL my thought exactly but then what do I care what people do, there are tons of people that laugh at us and say , you spend money to cruise and just go to beaches. That is why we enjoy crusing so many choices , we are doing a catamaran /snorkeling thing on Calabaza this cruise have never done anything like that after 12 cruise up and decided on something different. :)

I agree! It's reminds me of people I see in Hawaii that just hang out at the pool all day instead of the beautiful beaches......

i can top that. we took a family land / sea vacation at disney, staying in the polynesian for the land part. sil and family just wanted to stay at the pools for the 3 days, and did.

I may be in the minority...but we think of the cruise as the "destination" not the ride to the "destination". I would love to go on a week long cruise to no where. I am not into visiting all the ports .... the only one I have really enjoyed is Key West and I am looking forward to going back there in December. Even at Half Moon Cay last August as beautiful as it was - we only stayed on the island for about 1 1/2 hours...we just walked up and down the island ... and got back on the ship...we can now say we have "been there and done that".

To each is own. Everybody doesn't like the beach, sand, salt water, etc.

We are EXACTLY that type of person. Going on the Eastern Caribbean next month and since we've never been we are going to do some tours. Those tours will NOT include spending more than a few minutes on a beach. Yes, I wish to walk on a beach and take a few pictures but that is it.

Has anyone ever taken a cruise and never gotten off the ship or only gotten off at a new port? We are doing just that next week and looking forward to it.

Seven days Med cruise, got on at southampton, off at southampton, and shouldnt have brought our passports. Been there, done it, and just wanted a lazy time on a ship. It was unfortunately, a lousy ship (P&O Oceana). I love staying on the ship on port days :)

Yes a few times..

EG: On TransAtlantic's.

On Rainy Ports of Call.Which we have seen a few times and do not have anyone we hired to go places.

Most every time, now going to the Bermuda Islands.

The ships used to go to Three Ports there ..now most ships just go to one. ( Did you know one Cruise line used to charge thye Three Port Fees when Bermuda only charged One Set Cost 1,2 and/or 3 Ports? )

Going again this year in 2 weeks.:cool:

It is to me one of the nicest Island Chains in the world.

Coming from the Greater NYC/NJ area for Ships, it is also one of the most profitable and lowest usages of fuel..ahh

;)

thumb_up55x67.png.b7db1d769f42b4502c91ecdd6d05e862.png

Am I the only one with my mind in the gutter this morning? I had to giggle at the post title.:D ;)

But to answer the question, I usually go into each port. although, in the future, I'd probably stay on ship in Freeport.

Lol!! That made me laugh ;) :D

I cruise for ports first, ship second usually. We get off at every port and love to explore. We are crusing to Cozumel and calica next week, and even though this will make our 4th time in Coz, we are still planning to get off and explore, because we have still yet to see it all. We love beaches and snorkeling, so if there isn't much to do in port, we usually do this or window shop. That being said, we see the ship as a big part of our vacation, and I could totally see how someone could have a blast staying onboard...its not our preference, but hey...to each his/her own. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, back when the Swine Flu made the news we were on the Splendor. Shortly after sailing all of our ports were cancelled as it was a Mexican Riviera

cruise. Towards the end of the cruise they decided we'd stop in San Fransisco. We got off for a short time in the pouring rain and went right back to the ship.

Our upcoming cruise later this month we have only one port where we have actual plans. The other two we will get off in the port area just to see what's there. Actually looking forward to a more relaxing cruise :)

Archived