Can we bring a small portable fan?

chicy724

I've slept with a fan for years.. and now I NEED the noise. Can we bring a small fan with us? I was going to try and get a white noise machine but they are more expensive than a small fan, and are hard to find in my area and we sail out this coming Saturday.

Does anyone know if they will confiscate a fan if I bring one in my checked luggage?

Thanks!!!

My husband and I are both hot natured and we sleep with a fan also.We have been on 7 cruises. 5 with Royal Caribbean and 2 with Carnival and have brought 2 small plug in fans each trip with no problems. I usually pack one in the suitcase and carry one in our carry on so we can plug it up right away so the room will be cool. Do bring an extension cord though!!

We always take an electric fan in our carry on. No problem. However, I would not take an extension cord. That would probably not make it. We set ours on the table by the plug which is right across from the bed.

On my last 4 cruises, I've taken a 12 foot ext cord. I pack it in one of my husbands shoes in the checked luggage. No problems *knock on wood*

We always take an electric fan in our carry on. No problem. However, I would not take an extension cord. That would probably not make it. We set ours on the table by the plug which is right across from the bed.

We always take 2 extension cords and have never had any problems. We have always used them too.

If you want to take anything electrical I strongly encourage you to print out this info from the FAQs page on Carnival in case some over zealous employee tries to confiscate items that are in good working order:

• Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords will be removed if determined to pose a hazard and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

There was a thread on here last year where a woman had a new fan confiscated. She went to guest services, showed them the info above and told them to show her their evidence that the fan posed a hazard. The fan was immediately returned to her.

On the i-Phone or the Android phone, there are many free or low cost apps that create white noise. When we travel, if we're on a cruise or overseas, my husband puts his phone in airplane mode so that he doesn't receive calls, texts or email, and we use an app called "Simply Noise" to create a noise to sleep with.

On the i-Phone or the Android phone, there are many free or low cost apps that create white noise. When we travel, if we're on a cruise or overseas, my husband puts his phone in airplane mode so that he doesn't receive calls, texts or email, and we use an app called "Simply Noise" to create a noise to sleep with.

I have a Droid and you're a genius, tysvm!!

I've slept with a fan for years.. and now I NEED the noise. Can we bring a small fan with us? I was going to try and get a white noise machine but they are more expensive than a small fan, and are hard to find in my area and we sail out this coming Saturday.

Does anyone know if they will confiscate a fan if I bring one in my checked luggage?

Thanks!!!

I had the same question a few years ago and was advised to look into a good sound conditioner. I got a Maypac for about $50, it's light and works great. I know it's to late for this cruise but for the future.

I have a Droid and you're a genius, tysvm!!

I will have to check that out tonight!

I purchased a small 4" or 5" fan from Target the other day, no battery power though. I will give it a shot... I think a fan is a rather ridiculous thing to confiscate if they did.

If you want to take anything electrical I strongly encourage you to print out this info from the FAQs page on Carnival in case some over zealous employee tries to confiscate items that are in good working order:

• Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords will be removed if determined to pose a hazard and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

There was a thread on here last year where a woman had a new fan confiscated. She went to guest services, showed them the info above and told them to show her their evidence that the fan posed a hazard. The fan was immediately returned to her.

Hmm.. I will def print out the information. The small fan I got has metal blades and casing although the entire thing is 4 or 5" and is brand new. Not sure if they could deem that as hazardous or not.. because it's metal. I could bring a larger 8 or 10" plastic one instead.. rather take smaller if I can.

What do you think?

(a) Don't take one you can't afford to lose...just in case they take it.

(b) Have a back-up plan for how you'll function since you "NEED the noise."

:)

(a) It was $5. I can afford to lose it :) hehe

(b) Drink. A lot. So I don't know the difference? :p

My husband and I have taken our fan also for all our cruises except our last one. One of the security people told me we couldn't take it on board. So I had to take back to our car, as I didn't think it was ever a problem before. But we where trying to check in and didn't print out that what was on the Carnival site.. :mad:

So i just return the fan to the car. But now I"m thinking of getting a battier power fan before out next cruise if I can find one before the 22nd. LOL

My husband and I have taken our fan also for all our cruises except our last one. One of the security people told me we couldn't take it on board. So I had to take back to our car, as I didn't think it was ever a problem before. But we where trying to check in and didn't print out that what was on the Carnival site.. :mad:

So i just return the fan to the car. But now I"m thinking of getting a battier power fan before out next cruise if I can find one before the 22nd. LOL

Yeah and I'd have to find one by the 17th! Not gonna' happen! Boy o-boy.

• 2 weeks later...

We brought the fan. It was a small 5" personal fan. It got through just fine in our checked bag. But, I attached the information from the website to it so if they even tried then they'd have to explain to me how a brand new fan is hazardous! :)

We didn't even really use it because it was toooooo small to do anything.

Thanks to the suggestion on here about the white noise app. I used that the whole time and it was much better. Not perfect, but better!

Archived