A question about flights

QueenMab

Search the boards for the horror stories from flying in the day of. Especially with a connection, I wouldn't do it. In the last 2 weeks NJ had an earthquake & a hurricanne. NJ. :eek: Weather is unpredictable. Don't risk it.

To save $200 you are risking the possibility that you will have to pay a couple thousand to catch a plane to the next island if you miss the ship. Although RCL ended up reimbursing the passangers who missed the ship with the hurricanne they left early & stranded something like 400 people.

As others have advised, fly in the day before & fly home the afternoon you return to port.

I agree with the others. Fly in the day before and enjoy time unwinding and exploring San Juan. You can then enjoy your first day on the ship. Hopefully, people on these boards can recommend a reasonabley priced hotel.

I would fly home the day of disembarkation. You didn't say when you are docking but check on these boards for the earliest flight you can safely make. If you get into Seattle late, there are a lot of reasonably priced, decent hotels near the Seattle airport where you can get a free breakfast and drive home early the next morning.

Another option since you mention the only flight back is at 9:30 a.m. is to take a flight to a different connecting city and get an inexpensive hotel at that airport. Then continue on early the next morning.

Keep in mind that you are coming from Pacific time zone to the Eastern time zone in CLT. The east coast gets a three hour headstart with flights in the morning - just enough that if the weather is bad that delays can start to pile up.

In winter I always try to fly out as early as I possibly can to avoid the winter backups - snow removal and de-icing takes time. Its one thing to be delayed on the first flight of the day, but far more frustrating when all the connector flights arrive and those people start needing their flights - standbys and cancellations are not fun. I want the best chance to make my flight or get on the waitlist first. I would suggest flying the day before if at all possible.

There are so many reasons your flight may be delayed, so why risk it on the day of your cruise. Just weather alone: your city or the embarkation city may be having a freak storm. And even if those two areas are fine, flights everywhere could be affected when one area of the country is snowed in.

Last December, about 200 Brits were trying to get to LA for our cruise on the Golden Princess. There was a recent snowstorm that affected all flights leaving Heathrow. We had at least seven days of rain in a row in LA on the day of the cruise. Supposedly their plane had arrived or was about to arrive the afternoon of our cruise. The captain waited an extra four and a half hours and then had to take up anchor. Every one we met on that cruise from the UK had made their own arrangement (apart from Princess) and came in to the western US at least a day or two ahead.

Archived