Best Way to Call from the Caribbean to US

lucia1024

Hi

I was just wondering what the best and least inexpensive way to call FL from the Islands.

I have a 90 year of mom that I would like to keep in touch with without it costing me an arm and a leg. My cell plan is national, but I don't think it will work on the islands. Am I wrong?

I can image that the costs on the cruise ship is unreasonably high.

Has anyone experienced this and how did you handle it?

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!

We just cruised on the Legend and discovered that we could call directly from our room for only 99 cents per minute which is far cheaper than calling from any cell phone from any island. It was a good deal and allowed me to call at any time to check on our Son who was getting out of the hospital after a scary aftermath from a routine surgery.

I don't think that many people know how cheap this really is or that it is even available at this low rate. It should work for you and not break your bank.

My cell phones are Sprint. I pay $.69/minute calling from most of the islands... not too bad, considering.

The least expensive way to call, I believe, is an international calling card. Find one that works at your ports of call and use any phone you happen across... given permission, of course!

:)

Check with your cell phone plan. If you're cruising to a U.S Territory, you may be covered already.

US commonwealths/territories: American Samoa, Baker Island, Howland Island, Guam, Jarvis Island, Johnston Atoll, Kingman Reef, Midway Islands, Navassa Island, Northern Mariana Islands, Palau, Palmyra Atoll, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands (St. Croix, St. John and St. Thomas), and Wake Island.

We just cruised on the Legend and discovered that we could call directly from our room for only 99 cents per minute which is far cheaper than calling from any cell phone from any island. It was a good deal and allowed me to call at any time to check on our Son who was getting out of the hospital after a scary aftermath from a routine surgery.

I don't think that many people know how cheap this really is or that it is even available at this low rate. It should work for you and not break your bank.

Is this something new? Here is what the Carnival website says:

Can I call home while on board?

For our guest's convenience, the ship's telecommunications network offers direct dialing via satellite from the staterooms telephone. This is available 24 hours a day regardless of the ship's location. This service is closed on the final day of the cruise at 4:00AM. The rate is $6.99 per minute for calls to the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico and $9.99 per minute for all International calls. All charges are billed to the guest's on board Sail and Sign Card. Since all communication is via satellite, guests cannot use calling cards, credit cards, dial 800 toll-free numbers nor make a collect calls. Instructions and rates can be found in the cabin's directory.

For our guest's convenience, the ship's telecommunications network offers direct dialing via satellite from the staterooms telephone. This is available 24 hours a day regardless of the ship's location. This service is closed on the final day of the cruise at 4:00AM. The rate is $6.99 per minute for calls to the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico and $9.99 per minute for all International calls. All charges are billed to the guest's on board Sail and Sign Card. Since all communication is via satellite, guests cannot use calling cards, credit cards, dial 800 toll-free numbers nor make a collect calls. Instructions and rates can be found in the cabin's directory.

They had .99 cent Ship calls in December when we were on the Paradise.

Are you sure it was 99 cents per min? Last few years we went (including last year) the card by the phone Indicated $6.99 for US, Canada, PR and $9.99 international rates. Is the 99 cent rate new?

yes I am sure it was 99 cents per minute.......and it posted that way on my final S&S bill. there was flyer in the room that advertised the rate. far as I'm concerned this is the hassle free and reasonable way to call home.

yes I am sure it was 99 cents per minute.......and it posted that way on my final S&S bill. there was flyer in the room that advertised the rate. far as I'm concerned this is the hassle free and reasonable way to call home.

That was a test that Carnival was running on selected ships for a short time.

I thought I had read that the test ended a few months ago.

I would think they could make up any $$$ lost with sheer volume of usage at the 99 cent rate.

Bill

Nice I hope the rate is still in effect when I go in Oct

They had .99 cent Ship calls in December when we were on the Paradise.

It was an evaluation that Carnival was doing to see how low prices would have to be to encourage the use of the phones in the cabin.

I believe that trial has ended recently...

:)

Well, the 99cents rate was in effect 21-28 August. So far posters here "think" this trial, if it was one may have ended. No one has shown any definate evidence it is not still in effect. Check in your cabin when you board.

If you have an internet enabled phone, find a free wifi hotspot and call using SKYPE. You purchase 'skype credit' ( $10 increments) and can use skype on your phone to call land lines. It is pennies to connect and pennies to call....

its what I'll be using to call my Mom in Grand Turk and Nassau next week, but I'll be using my Itouch...I'll just ask the crew where i can find free wifi connections in Nassau..already know I can call home from Jacks on GT.

Archived