First time on Dream, silly questions....

Hi,

I am so excited to be cruising on Dream in January, and keep thinking of silly questions, I wondered if anyone knows....

Is there wifi on Dream and if so roughly how much does it cost?

What sort of sockets are in the cabins, will I need adaptors?

Is the food different on Gala night compared to regular nights?

Will i have any problems being a strict vegetarian (in terms of choice not temptation!!!)

Can I definately take pools towels to the beach?

Thanks, more silly questions to follow I am sure!!!

Hello, there is wifi on Dream but not sure of the price though I'm sure people have said it's very expensive.

Not sure about the sockets but others will and I'm sure someone will give you information.

Gala dinners are not really any different to a normal night just everyone is more dressed up, the foods always good anyway.

There is a vegetarian option for every course in the main dinning room and on the buffets lots of different salads and fruits so I think there should be a good choice for you.

You are allowed to take the towels to the beach. If you loose it you have to pay for it.

Ask any other questions you think of that's what this forum is for, and it also helps to add to the excitement. If you watch the Showboaters tonight you will be able to see the ship so it will give you more of an idea of what to expect.

to be honest the viggie options were limited. Salads and veggies and sides were mostly ok and plentiful - but in the buffet restaurant hot veggie main dishes were usually limited to just the one each night. The pasta is always an option as they make you a nice tomato sauce and its at least hot!

Hi, we came back last week from the Dream, not had time to do a full review but it was fab. Your question about sockets in the cabin, there are both US and EUROPEAN but remember an adaptor, I forgot one, thought I could borrow one at reception but no, thought I could buy one when the shops opened on the ship but no, panic stations. My husband asked one of the cabin stewards if he could help and yes he had one, my hair could now be straightened. First time I have forgotten an adaptor and the last. You will love the dream, it is fab.

Hi,:)

Although it says not to use kettles and irons in the cabin, I did take a iron on her in March, and other have said that they took a kettle,and just put it away discreetly after use,and the other thing, we saw some people do first thing in the morning was go up to the buffet and fill two cups with tea or coffee then decant this into a thermos mug and take it down to there cabins.:rolleyes:

A good tip someone gave me, was to take a cheap plug extention, with a metre lead(and about 4 sockets) then you only need one plug adaptor, but you can charge your phone, ipod, hairdryer if you bring your own, electric razor etc all in to the extention.

we are back on the dream in a couple of weeks, cant wait x:D:D:D

Hi,:)

Although it says not to use kettles and irons in the cabin, I did take a iron on her in March, and other have said that they took a kettle,and just put it away discreetly after use

It's nothing to do with hiding them away, it is to do with your safety.

What if someone hides their iron away without checking it's cold, one big fire on a crusie liner in the middle of the see.

Glad to see that some don't care about the safety of others :mad:

When we went on the tour of the bridge on Destiny, they showed us the board with the warning lights that come on if the sensors in a cabin pick up the heat or steam from an iron or kettle. They can tell which cabin is involved and you would get an immediate visit from the fire patrol. If you did not answer your door they would obviously enter your cabin anyway in case there were a genuine fire. If you were found to have been using an iron or kettle you would be required to explain your actions to the Captain.

Carol x

When we went on the tour of the bridge on Destiny, they showed us the board with the warning lights that come on if the sensors in a cabin pick up the heat or steam from an iron or kettle. They can tell which cabin is involved and you would get an immediate visit from the fire patrol. If you did not answer your door they would obviously enter your cabin anyway in case there were a genuine fire. If you were found to have been using an iron or kettle you would be required to explain your actions to the Captain.

Carol x

Marched in Off Cap, then 10 days below decks washing up....:)

Seriously fire is very very serious on board ship, anything the crew,management does to reduce it's possibility has my vote.....

If they say no kettles or irons its for a reason.......

Edit to add Hair tongs or straighteners should be banned as well.....

Edit to add Hair tongs or straighteners should be banned as well.....

As I said earlier:D:D

So if you are in a suite where they provide kettles, would you still be treated the same? Or is their steam different and doesn't set off the alarms;);)

I think it is more to do with "elf and safety" with people taking their own non PAT tested kettles - so again, why don't Thoson provide them as do P&O and Fred.Olsen. If you ban things, people will do it anyway (eg - smoking) and by hiding it, you make things more dangerous.

We took a kettle on the Dream and never set off any alarms, but you will be pleased to know I have just been out to buy a Thermos flask, so I can make some coffee the night before and take it back to the cabin for the morning. No point in taking a kettle if no fridges down in steerage:D

So if you are in a suite where they provide kettles, would you still be treated the same? Or is their steam different and doesn't set off the alarms;);)

I think it is more to do with "elf and safety" with people taking their own non PAT tested kettles - so again, why don't Thoson provide them as do P&O and Fred.Olsen. If you ban things, people will do it anyway (eg - smoking) and by hiding it, you make things more dangerous.

We took a kettle on the Dream and never set off any alarms, but you will be pleased to know I have just been out to buy a Thermos flask, so I can make some coffee the night before and take it back to the cabin for the morning. No point in taking a kettle if no fridges down in steerage:D

2 years ago we had a deluxe on the destiny and we had a kettle in our cabin, has that gone now?:confused: thinking of booking again next year.

Pat Testing (Portable Appliance) is all about ensuring the device will not electrocute its end user. Not about ensuring the device will spontaneously combust.

I suspect they ban kettles as the steam can set off some highly sensitive optical fire alarms which of course has a severe buggeration factor for everyone on board.

Not sure why some ships allow them and some do not. Some of course may be fully fitted with sprinkler systems some may not so this may have a bearing on it. Also I suspect it will be part of the insurance conditions if they have actually banned it.

End of the day they are just trying to avoid scenes like this....

pict0008.h2.jpg

A picture says a thousand words!!!!

Just off the Dream today and we took 2 Thermos mugs with us - they did the trick just fine as long as you have a hubby to run up to the buffet every morning to get you that first cuppa of the day:D

As they have lids on they are much safer than carrying 2 cups up and down the stairs.

I am thinking about booking the Colourful Coasts cruise on the Thompson Dream 11th - 18th November. Has anyone has done this trip before and can you tell me if its a good trip and what the ship is like. My husband is 65 and I am 56 - would it be suitable for us - we are still quite new to cruising and have cruised only with Cunard before. :)

Archived