Fun things to do in Cozumel? Reviews on the Tulum Ruins?

Pichu21

We're going on the Freedom of the Seas in April and I'm having second thoughts on what to do in Cozumel. We're a fairly active family. We had planned to do a Tulum Ruins excursion with the ship, but it might not be as fun as we thought it would be. Does anyone have any reviews? Also, what about beaches? We live fairly close to the beach in FL so unless it's a must-try beach like Maho Beach (St. Maarten) and Cokki Point/Sapphire Beach (St. Thomas), we'll probably pass. What about local markets? Snorkeling? Just fun, family things to do. If it helps, we're doing Dragon's Breath zip line in Labadee and Stingray City in Grand Cayman. We're staying on the ship in Falmouth to enjoy the ship more. It will be our first time in any of these islands.

Thanks so much!

The Tulum ruins are amazing, but that's a very long day - off the ship to the ferry terminal, ferry to the mainland, bus to Tulum, tour and then reverse back to the ship. You'll enjoy it, but it may not be the most relaxing day of your vacation. :rolleyes:

Other options are some of the all-inclusive beach clubs, or the pay as you go places. You might investigate the Money Bar - closer to the port (only a $10 cab ride), a sandy area for sunning, good food and drinks, and great snorkeling in the area just off shore (some of the snorkel tours bring their tour groups there).

Good luck! :)

The beaches in Cozumel are nothing like the ones in St Thomas etc... A lot of them are nice, but they aren't as picture perfect. However the Snorkeling is MUCH better in CZM than St Thomas/St Maarten.

I personally would do a 3 reef snorkel with Eagle Ray Divers. I use them for diving every time I'm in Cozumel.

Also your going to have a blast with the Sting Rays, for them I recommend Captain Marvins, just a short walk from the tender spot.

The Tulum ruins are amazing, but that's a very long day - off the ship to the ferry terminal, ferry to the mainland, bus to Tulum, tour and then reverse back to the ship. :)

LOVED Tulum it is an AMAZING place even with that fast-bumpy jet-boat type ferry ride it was so WORTH IT!!

take whatever you use for sea-sickness more than likely you will need

i have plenty of ginger with me...going over to Playa Del Carmen was ROUGH coming back i was dreading but closed my eyes and we were there in no time, but we are so GLAD that we did this.

also have done Lamani and Atun Ha ruins in Belize and Tulum is my fav:)

The ruins are Tulum are nice to see. I'm glad I did the tour but wouldn't do it again. I wouldn't call if an exciting or fun day - just interesting. It's a lot of travel time to get there. Once you are there it's very, very hot. I did enjoy getting the opportunity to see this part of history and it is pretty amazing what they did.

I took the Tulum ruins tour and wasn't all that happy with my day. There were people getting sick on the ferry ride, it was hot and I didn't find it all that great of a day. I went because it's the closest I've been to runs. I found it quite dull, actually.

But, I like to enjoy my vacation days and we barely made it back to the ship at a breakneck pace. Again, they were handing out bags on the ferry for the folks feeling sick.

Just be aware of the full day of it and what you will be doing on the excursion. Don't make my mistake and go just because it's the closest you've ever gotten to ruins and feel you 'should' go! If your family is interested, I'd say do it.

The ruins are very cool to see but it is super hot at the ruins (there is a beach for swimming though and with most excursions you can fit in up to an hour at the beach there) and considering how well known Cozumel is for its snorkeling and diving it does seem like a lot of effort to go out of your way to get off the island, over to the mainland and then an hour to the ruins. We're glad we did it, but if we did it again we'd probably have opted for ruins in Belize and snorkeling or beaches in Cozumel

Archived