MSC Splendida - Nice Ship, Terrible Food

OneNewTexan

Thanks for posting this ~ very interesting. Although I haven't been on all the ships listed :p:o, of the ones I have been on, the order is pretty much how I would put them (regarding food, not necessarily the entire cruise experience). MSC sometimes intrigues me because of their itineraries, but to see their ships listed lower than Costa Magica makes me really hesitate to ever cruise on them.

Thanks again.:)

I've sailed a bunch of them too, and I rate them EXACTLY as they appear on the list.

Thanks for posting that link which shows the opposite (if anything - I wouldn't have tried to make such a claim myself, but since you're the one making the claim...)

Your link shows them as ranked third as the "Best cruise line in the world", out of 24 lines. You've actually shown them to be highly rated! :D

So much for that argument, eh...

That all depends on how you define the word "is".

ROFL!

If that's the level of nitpicking we've reached in this debate...

Look, the food on MSC may not be "bad", but INDISPUTABLY it is not as good as the food served by the competition.

... as rated by American cruisers, as I wrote. And as pointed out above, different people - including in America - have different preferences. If you're generalising like that, you may as well extend that to say that McDonalds food is great and loved around the world, since it's so popular in the US that it has more restaurants than anyone else.

I wouldn't suggest that, but I'm not the one making generalisations either.

Can you substantiate your claim that MSC is rated higher with "euro" passsengers than other lines of any category? The UK Cruises Choice poll would tend to undermine your claim. All MSC ship finished in the bottom 15% of all rated ships.

Can you substantiate your claim that I made such a claim? I see nowhere that I did. My comments related to the preferences of majorly American cruisers which was the basis of the survey you presented.

Thanks for posting that link which shows the opposite (if anything - I wouldn't have tried to make such a claim myself, but since you're the one making the claim...)

Your link shows them as ranked third as the "Best cruise line in the world", out of 24 lines. You've actually shown them to be highly rated! :D

So much for that argument, eh...

Not really, it's more directed at the posters that tell us just how highly rated MSC would be if more Italians voted in the poll.

To me, it shows just how highly thought and rated mainstream american lines are around the world.

I will agree third place on ANY poll is enviable for any line, but since the USA & UK market rates MSC and Costa so low, it also tells me there is a huge cultural gap in what is considered good food and quality service around the world.

The major point we should all keep in focus when referencing polls and websites is that the majority of cruisers on THIS website, taking and reviewing cruises are from the USA (not at all implying that anyone is not welcome:))

Being a predominately USA & UK audience, it stands to reason that the reviews and cultural standards will be biased towards the USA & UK norm, so referencing how a particular situation MIGHT be viewed from another audience is useless and non productive as the members of this site are primarily from the USA & UK and will want to hear how it meets their standards, not Italian or another country.

We would expect Italians to vote their way, and they put RCCL and Costa above MSC.

11% voted MSC #1

Whereas Euro lines which cater to Euro passengers aren't as popular with US passengers.

ROFL!

Can you substantiate your claim that I made such a claim? I see nowhere that I did. My comments related to the preferences of majorly American cruisers which was the basis of the survey you presented.

The clear import of your statement about Euro lines (MSC) not being as popular with US passengers is that the Euro lines (MSC) would be more popular with Euro passengers. So yes, the fair interpretation of your statement is that Euro lines (MSC) would be more popular with Euro passengers. I asked you for proof of that proposition ("Can you substantiate your claim that MSC is rated higher with "euro" passsengers than other lines of any category?"). I don't see any such proof. I just see argument trying to parse words. My jest about the definition of the word "is" is a reference to Bill Clinton's defense in the Monica L. affair - I do hope you got it. He, too, was desperately trying to parse words in order to avoid admitting the obvious.

With regard to the Italian web site poll posted by Deckhanddoug, it appears that a total of 170 persons participated. That is a statistically insignificant sample to prove anything. Some cruiselines on the list put together by the moderator didn't even have anyone sail on them. Get real. Anyone who believes Silversea, Seaborn and Crystal are inferior products to MSC is without credibility and beyond help. On the other hand, a poll of 70,000 is highly probative even if it contains some suspect results. The showing by MSC in both the Cruisecritic US and UK Cruisers Choice poll is so very dismal that it can not be disregarded. It would be one thing if the MSC ships finished in varying positions among the 200+ ships voted upon, but they all finished within the bottom 15%!. That is the kind of result that can be debated only by arguing over the definition of "is."

So sorry to hear you didnt enjoy every aspect of your cruise, I am boarding The Splendida in January 2012 (1st time on MSC). I am trying to keep an open mind and if all else fails in the dining area, Im hoping that the rest of the cruise will still make it worthwhile for what we paid :)

We have not sailed the Splendida but if it is anything like the Poesia then we would be very happy...........i can tell u that there is a fabulous duo joining the ship in Nov. so am certain they will be there when u board............if u enjoy dancing or just listening to great music i am sure u will enjoy them............they are Sonia and Greg ," Ameritalian,"

she is italian and he is from Calif.........they do everything from the Beatles, Johnny Cash, to Avita and everything in between, we are very sad that they will be on the Slendida and not on the Poesia, but our loss is your gain.....enjoy and happy sailing~~

Barbara

I think you may have hit on something here. If you are American and your first cruise, or 2nd or 3rd is with an American line you will be used to a certain "type" of cruise experience. For instance. My last cruise was on Princess, they had a comedian who was absolutely hysterical, kind of a "hippie" throwback who was a Rock musician and made a lot of Rock and Retro referrences. We saw him at 3 different shows on a 1 week cruise. But if this same entertainer was on a Euro ship it probably would not work. With all the different languages I assume that entertainment must be pretty generic.

Also, food on American lines is so over the top it's a wonder you don't leave 10 pounds heavier. This can be a wonderful experience if you are looking forward to it and can shed those pounds when you go home. Cruise line eating can be fantastic, I know I did my part as well as sampling all kinds of drinks while on deck or in the lounges.

Now with that said, if your next cruise is on a European line things will be different. Entertainment will be different, it has to apply to many languages. And the food, yes, this seems to be a really big point of discussion. If an American is comparing what the food is like on an American line they may be a) very disappointed or b) wanting to and willing to try many different foods prepared as they are in Europe. Of course there will always be those who state across the board that ALL the food was terrible. That's like saying every single dish in a restaurant is unedible.

I wonder how may cruisers have done "research" and "homework" before switching lines??? I know I have and now know what to expect. If the food on MSC is truly and frequently as bad as many say, then perhaps the "Powers that Be" for MSC should really take a look in the galley. But, on the other hand, if it is a case of Americans expecting American food because they did no "research" and "homework" then they only have themselves to blame. A little example of this: several years ago the hubbie and I took a 2 week coach tour of Italy, (now THAT was the trip of a lifetime!) An older couple, who look well travelled and savvy, brought 5 rolls of film for a 2 week vacation! (yes, back in the day we used film cameras :)) He used that up by day 2 and spent the rest of the trip running around looking for and purchasing expensive film. I had done my research and knew what Italy had to offer, brought 56 of rolls and used 5 of them in Rome alone the 1st 3 days!

So....just a suggestion to those contemplating cruising on a Euro liner, do your homework, the more you know, the less disappointed and prepared you will be, yes. :) Thanks for listening.

I think you may have hit on something here. If you are American and your first cruise, or 2nd or 3rd is with an American line you will be used to a certain "type" of cruise experience. For instance. My last cruise was on Princess, they had a comedian who was absolutely hysterical, kind of a "hippie" throwback who was a Rock musician and made a lot of Rock and Retro referrences. We saw him at 3 different shows on a 1 week cruise. But if this same entertainer was on a Euro ship it probably would not work. With all the different languages I assume that entertainment must be pretty generic.

Also, food on American lines is so over the top it's a wonder you don't leave 10 pounds heavier. This can be a wonderful experience if you are looking forward to it and can shed those pounds when you go home. Cruise line eating can be fantastic, I know I did my part as well as sampling all kinds of drinks while on deck or in the lounges.

Now with that said, if your next cruise is on a European line things will be different. Entertainment will be different, it has to apply to many languages. And the food, yes, this seems to be a really big point of discussion. If an American is comparing what the food is like on an American line they may be a) very disappointed or b) wanting to and willing to try many different foods prepared as they are in Europe. Of course there will always be those who state across the board that ALL the food was terrible. That's like saying every single dish in a restaurant is unedible.

I wonder how may cruisers have done "research" and "homework" before switching lines??? I know I have and now know what to expect. If the food on MSC is truly and frequently as bad as many say, then perhaps the "Powers that Be" for MSC should really take a look in the galley. But, on the other hand, if it is a case of Americans expecting American food because they did no "research" and "homework" then they only have themselves to blame. A little example of this: several years ago the hubbie and I took a 2 week coach tour of Italy, (now THAT was the trip of a lifetime!) An older couple, who look well travelled and savvy, brought 5 rolls of film for a 2 week vacation! (yes, back in the day we used film cameras :)) He used that up by day 2 and spent the rest of the trip running around looking for and purchasing expensive film. I had done my research and knew what Italy had to offer, brought 56 of rolls and used 5 of them in Rome alone the 1st 3 days!

So....just a suggestion to those contemplating cruising on a Euro liner, do your homework, the more you know, the less disappointed and prepared you will be, yes. :) Thanks for listening.

Which ship were you on?

I don't agree with your hypotheses about the problems with MSC, we've traveled extensively around the world and have been to Italy many times exclusive of a cruise ship and found the quality and preparation on the food to be much better than on our Poesia cruise.

Myself and many others have heard this particular argument before and I'm not buying it.

The problems we encountered went much deeper than selection, preparation or local custom and are an insult to be called Italian.

Which ship were you on?

I don't agree with your hypotheses about the problems with MSC, we've traveled extensively around the world and have been to Italy many times exclusive of a cruise ship and found the quality and preparation on the food to be much better than on our Poesia cruise.

Myself and many others have heard this particular argument before and I'm not buying it.

The problems we encountered went much deeper than selection, preparation or local custom and are an insult to be called Italian.

In your opinion - there is not many backing up your opinion and in fact I have read many more opposite opinions than yours :eek:

And there are more cruise lines in the world than MSC. Maybe you should have at least one other cruise line experience under your belt before you project 'worldly' or broadly experienced pronouncements.:rolleyes:

is that so !!!! very presumptious of you indeed. just because I havent got old and cranky enough to cruise a lot yet doesn't mean I'm not widely travelled. I dont want to or feel the need to travel on any other cruise line thank you very much - I'm very happy with MSC

I seriously doubt that MSC will change their food selection and preparation to suit American tastes. Italians like it as do the Germans and French and most of the other Europeans (maybe not too many Brits). Americans and Brits make up at most only 10 to 15 percent of MSC repeat cruisers so the kitchens turn out the food they like along with the other Europeans and others, whether first timers or repeaters. Those that didn't like it won't return to MSC but what's the problem?

I seriously doubt that MSC will change their food selection and preparation to suit American tastes. Italians like it as do the Germans and French and most of the other Europeans (maybe not too many Brits). Americans and Brits make up at most only 10 to 15 percent of MSC repeat cruisers so the kitchens turn out the food they like along with the other Europeans and others, whether first timers or repeaters. Those that didn't like it won't return to MSC but what's the problem?

We are american and love MSC just the way they are.........and will repeat as often as we can..........would be more often if they would give us a ship in the caribbean year round as we are cruisers and not travelors... ;)

I am an Australian & I cruised for 12 days on the MSC Splendida 2 years ago when it was fairly brand new. I thought the ship was amazing, the food great, & the ports fantastic. For anyone thinking of booking a cruise on this ship I would not hesitate at all. In the past couple of years I have been lucky enough to cruise on some big & amazing ships including other lines of NCL, Carnival & RCCI & the MSC Splendida is up with the best of them in my opinion & that fact that they do some things a little different (the Italian way) is what makes them special & gives the cruiser a different experience to what they may be used to on a USA mainstream line. Go on with an open mind & go with the flow.

When it comes to comparing MSC to ANY other cruise line... You don't know what you're talking about... OK - you know 50% - which isn't a passing score. You needn't get angry about that...

You're right about one thing - there are MSC bashers on the board! (Believe it or not, I'm not one) You're gonna have to take your cue from ever civil MSC-fan AMO (we all should) on picking your battles otherwise these folks will wear you down!;) There are some that bash everything MSC - and they're wrong. They're are some that bash MSC's peculiarities... which are really its strengths. But the line needs some work in the galley - that's a poor place to stake a claim for MSC. I don't even think MSC's food is uniformly bad - its just inconsistent as all get out!

Thanks Woodofpine but the whole point here is I have not compared MSC to anyone - just offered advice on MY own experiences on MSC and clarified points made ;) and I actually did enjoy every meal I had on MSC so I don't want them to change the galley :) different opinions are just that "different" both opinions are right to the person making them - neither is wrong. Look at CC reviews on all lines even the top end ones like Seabourne - you'll find complaints about the food on all, everywhere :eek:

But take the opinions and reviews collectively, MSC's galley 'scores' lower in any variety of regional polls or collective viewing. Its great that MSC has posters that love them as 'faultless'. After my first bubbly faultless 'Oh WoW!' experience on Princess, now having sampled numerous lines, I know that all the lines have strengths and shortcomings. I'll throw a few out... Start with my own 'faultless' line: Princess - sparse linens and towels, so-so bedding, undramatic MDR architecture; Carnival - decor garish, not the greatest buffet either, some ships a bit noticeably old; Celebrity - needs to maintain ships better, onboard managers can't troubleshoot, trained in 'So sorry - No.'; HAL - Yawn, 'time to get to bed dear'...

Those that love MSC too often do so blindly and appeal to bias (anti-Americanism specifically) when the facts don't line up the way they'd like. As far as MSC goes, after 7 days aboard, I'd never seen more 'cooked' food served - basically cold. Sometimes it was first overcooked (dried out) then served cold, the luke side of luke warm (at buffet AND MDR)! With all due respect to Italian or American tastes, that's not how ANYONE likes it! A lot of patently institutional quality sauces and dressings - served institutionally. Hey - I understand 'food service' as an industry (I was employed in it internationally as an export sales manager once); a line ought to at least make the effort to present it better so it doesn't scream 'Budget Foodservice'! Again, that has nothing to do with Italian cruisine or American tastes (the global village is smaller than that), its a product delivery issue. OK - I'm done...

Again this was one cruise, but you hear these complaints a LOT. So in my limited experience... to appease MSC loyalists,

MSC - very nice coffees (worth modest extra charges), yummy gelato (a bit pricey), a few excellent meals onboard (demonstrating how many weren't). Nice cabins, well maintained ship, customer relations were capable of trouble shooting professionally and happily (Big Plus!), regular service crew attentive and friendly (even excursion office having to deal with chaotic line cutters).

MSC offers a unique European-international ambience, it is competively priced with new ships.:) I'll hold my tongue about the galley.;)

It's a pitty.

This cruiseline has grown at breakneck speed, but has not been able to keep up their once very good service and food standards. Their ships and itineraries are great, but that is all: Service and food - poor, entertainment - high school quality.

If the price is right this might be a good take-over target for the likes as Carnival, NCL or RCL and put things right again.

It's a pitty.

This cruiseline has grown at breakneck speed, but has not been able to keep up their once very good service and food standards. Their ships and itineraries are great, but that is all: Service and food - poor, entertainment - high school quality.

If the price is right this might be a good take-over target for the likes as Carnival, NCL or RCL and put things right again.

Couldn't disagree more and I wouldn't count on a takeover as the economy is tough a the moment and the RCI shares are down nearly 50 % compared to just a few months ago. I have just read some RCCL reviews tonight and it seems that the quality is not even close to what it used to be.....

A good example from an American cruiser here:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=86047

Couldn't disagree more and I wouldn't count on a takeover as the economy is tough a the moment and the RCI shares are down nearly 50 % compared just a few months ago. I have just read some RCCL reviews tonight and it seems that the quality is not even close to what it was to be.....

A good example from an American cruiser here:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=86047

Would certainly hope that it would'nt be taken over by any of the mentioned lines..........we have done them all and have loved many and not liked some of the most popular ones.........we loved our trip on the Poesia in Feb......and have booked 3 for when they are in the caribbean this winter............we all cruise for different reasons and our wants are all different..............we loved everything about our cruise with them and are very anxious to go again in about 5 weeks......

i am not saying the MSC is for everyone, but she sure hits home for our needs..............

Would certainly hope that it would'nt be taken over by any of the mentioned lines..........we have done them all and have loved many and not liked some of the most popular ones.........we loved our trip on the Poesia in Feb......and have booked 3 for when they are in the caribbean this winter............we all cruise for different reasons and our wants are all different..............we loved everything about our cruise with them and are very anxious to go again in about 5 weeks......

i am not saying the MSC is for everyone, but she sure hits home for our needs..............

They will not be taken over at all, they are a Italian family run company:) One of the last independent large cruiselines and currently the worlds fourth largest cruiseline.

In your opinion - there is not many backing up your opinion and in fact I have read many more opposite opinions than yours :eek:

Of course it's my opinion, my generous use of personal pronouns in the first person singular indicates such and I didn't claim it to be any other.:rolleyes:

Quite contrary, as has been pointed out to you many, many times, the majority of cruisers that have reviewed MSC ,don't like it for the same reasons as I.:rolleyes:

Where do you find the evidence upon which to assert that Italians, Germans, and French and most of the the other Europeans like the MSC food, either absolutely or compared to food served onboard other lines?

Where do you find the evidence to assert that Americans and Brits only make up only 10-15% of MSC repeat customers?

I asked you this earlier and it was removed. Is there some reason my post asking you for the source of these factual claims was removed? Is it offensive or violative of CC rules?

Where do you find the evidence upon which to assert that Italians, Germans, and French and most of the the other Europeans like the MSC food, either absolutely or compared to food served onboard other lines?

Where do you find the evidence to assert that Americans and Brits only make up only 10-15% of MSC repeat customers?

I asked you this earlier and it was removed. Is there some reason my post asking you for the source of these factual claims was removed? Is it offensive or violative of CC rules?

First point: I simply talk with them when I'm on an MSC cruise. The Germans I talked with seem to enjoy it most in particular (along with the Italians of course). Plus, there was a cruise industry magazine article I read last year that mentioned the high percentage of MSC repeaters. Second point: This was told to me by a MSC Club representative in early 2009. Also, when you attend the MSC Club cocktails on cruises you'll be rubbing elbows with loads of Italians and Germans but very few English speakers. Third point: I have no idea.

Archived