Connecting at Narita

marchanxiety

I would love any any helpful information as I make air reservations for our SIN to HKG cruise in January 2012. We will be flying out of IAD on United or one its partners. I've ruled out flying through Europe because it's winter. Likewise any Chicago connections. That leaves Narita or the west coast. I prefer Narita so that if we hit delays in immigration/customs on our return it won't matter. So, is one hour and 25 minutes enough to connect on United flights there? What about 2 1/2 hrs from ANA to United? We will be flying in business class.

I also see a desirable connection out of HKG to Narita on something called Air Japan DBA All Nipon. Does anyone know anything about this airline? The flight is on a 767-300 and it has a business class listed.

Thanks for any advice.

I prefer Narita so that if we hit delays in immigration/customs on our return it won't matter. So, is one hour and 25 minutes enough to connect on United flights there? What about 2 1/2 hrs from ANA to United? We will be flying in business class.
Most Star Alliance airlines are in T1 South at Narita, and the published Minimum Connection Times appear to be 60 minutes (or less) for most international-international connections there. So the 85 minute connection should be fine though not generous; 150 minutes is ample.

Don't forget that you shouldn't have to clear immigration or customs at NRT if you're doing an international-international connection. So the transfer process will be fast and easy, with (probably) only security to deal with.

But if you can post your actual flight details, we can check the specifics rather than giving this generic advice.

I also see a desirable connection out of HKG to Narita on something called Air Japan DBA All Nipon. Does anyone know anything about this airline? The flight is on a 767-300 and it has a business class listed.
All Nippon Airways is these days more commonly known as ANA. It's one of the two big Japanese airline groups. Air Japan is a subsidiary that operates some of ANA's scheduled flights. The information you've been given suggests that this includes the flight that you're planning, although without any specifics I can't myself see it.

Narita is big. I once had to run to catch a connecting flight (airline personnel did help us). Is there a distinct advantage to you with the shorter connection? If not, why not go for the longer one, and reduce the stress (e.g., if the first flight is late)? ANA is, I think, a perfectly good airline, especially in biz class. You could check sites like www.airlinequality.com. Since you're booking as one straight-through trip, you'll get toyour final destination eventually, but I'd personally reduce the chances of missing a connection (e.g., even if they put you on the next available flight in case of missed connection, who knows when that will be, especially if some flights are full?), unless there's a distinct advantage to do otherwise. I think Narita can get snow, but haven't heard anything about snow delays there. You could easily check on-time stats for various airlines involved in the options you might consider.

I would love any any helpful information as I make air reservations for our SIN to HKG cruise in January 2012. We will be flying out of IAD on United or one its partners. I've ruled out flying through Europe because it's winter. Likewise any Chicago connections. That leaves Narita or the west coast. I prefer Narita so that if we hit delays in immigration/customs on our return it won't matter. So, is one hour and 25 minutes enough to connect on United flights there? What about 2 1/2 hrs from ANA to United? We will be flying in business class.

Thanks for any advice.

We flew this route last year from IAD on ANA to Bejing (we went to Bejing pre-cruise before flying to Hong Kong), and than Singapore back to the USA and we can recommend ANA! It was a very nice flight. Take the 2.5 hour connection at Narita.

Take the 2.5 hour connection at Narita. You will have to go through security and be rescreened. Check their rules for what you can have. They gave me a double fit about injectible Rx drugs (I had full documentation) and I lost some Sudafed which is not allowed in Japan at all.

Thanks for the advice. We'll definitely do the 2 1/2 hour connection. Here's more info on the return trip. It would be Air Japan as a UA #9726 codeshare leaving Hong Kong at 9:55 AM, arriving Narita at 2:45 PM. We would connect to UA 804 at 4:30. they seem to be in the same terminal. Is this reasonable?

Thanks for the advice. We'll definitely do the 2 1/2 hour connection. Here's more info on the return trip. It would be Air Japan as a UA #9726 codeshare leaving Hong Kong at 9:55 AM, arriving Narita at 2:45 PM. We would connect to UA 804 at 4:30. they seem to be in the same terminal. Is this reasonable?

Air Japan?? Japan Airlines (JAL) is part of the Oneworld Alliance, so I assume that's not it. You've asked the airlines what's reasonable?

It would be Air Japan as a UA #9726 codeshare leaving Hong Kong at 9:55 AM, arriving Narita at 2:45 PM. We would connect to UA 804 at 4:30. they seem to be in the same terminal. Is this reasonable?
That looks fine to me. Both flights should, I think, be in T1 South - see here.
Air Japan??
Air Japan (NQ/AJX) is a subsidiary of All Nippon Airways (NH/ANA), so it's *A. See my post above.

The "operating flight number" appears to be NH912. ANA's website discloses that the flight is operated by Air Japan but hasn't filed this with the GDS. UA, however, has.

Archived