Looking for catamaran to take us to St. John.

niki1785

Will be sailing in May 2012 to St. Thomas and am interested in hiring a private charter, preferably a catamaran, to take us to St. John for the day. Would be a large group - about 16 adults and 4 children ages 2 and up. RCCL offers something similar as an excursion but children must be over 6 years old.

Wondering if anyone has done something similar and had any recommendations for a company? We did find the catamaran Daydreamer, just waiting to hear back from the company. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

TIA!

A lot of the Cat companies wont take small children I have noticed. If your wanting to go to St John for the day why spend all the money to hire a private boat as opposed to just taking the ferry from red hook over to st john? You will spend less money and probably have more time to spend on the island as well.

Hi, thanks for your reply. That one company I did find said that they would take kids on their website, but unfortunately they haven't gotten back to me yet. Doing the ferry isn't out of the question, but we've always enjoyed doing the whole catamaran thing and it's not possible with the cruise line because of the minimum age. Plus it seems like many of the people in our party are interested in spending the day together this way. We may end up just doing the ferry, but if I could find a decent price and a good company to use we'd be excited to do that as an excursion.

BetsysMom has a good point. A lot of people do leave the island around that time of year.

If you want to spend a day on the boat then hire a private charter but if you just want to go to st john I think it would be a waste of money to charter a boat. We did a charter one time we were there, it costs us 600.00 for just my wife and I on a small 30' cat and we only had the charter for 3 hours. ended up being a waste of money because we would have been happier relaxing on a beach in st john all day instead of being rushed around on someone elses time.

I too have been looking for something similar - the only option I have found so far is Sadie Sea - it isn't a cat - but I think a trawler - they will pick up our group in St Thomas - go to St John - beach/snorkel - whatever...

It is my understanding that it is like a $15 cab ride PER PERSON to go from cruise docks to ferry dock to get to St John - then another $10 or so for ferry ticket - so you are looking at $50 per person round trip just to get to St. John? Is this correct? With our group of 16 - gets a little pricey

Archived