Half Rant on MoBay Guides and Transport

justlaff69

I'm a fresh water fish and on our last trip to Jam, we went to Dunn Falls.

We'd like to try it again or Mayfield or YS and maybe some river tubing.

These activities are all reasonably priced, $20 pp, however, transportation to these places doubles the cost. I just can't wrap my head around why transportation is charged per person as opposed to per trip.

For example, Dunn Falls entry is 15/pp but to get there, round trip from MoBay, tour guides are wanting $43.00 pp and up, even if that includes admissions, I'm paying double to get there than what it is to get in!!

Why does it cost $90 to zipline a 3 line course? In Jamaica, really?

Thats, $30.00 a ride. It's cheaper to go to the state fair, there it's $5 a ride...

We are lucky enough to have a zip line course less than an hour from the house, it's a 4 line course for $55.00. The lines range from 650ft to 1000ft long.

At Zero Gravity, a Thrill Park, in our town, I can for $33.00 ea:

Bungee Jump

Sky Coster

Nothin but Net (16 story free fall)

Sky Scraper

Blastoff

If I wanted to do all 5, I can package them for 78.00 and get a video and shirt for 110.00

Why do we over pay for stuff? You'd think in poor countries, activities like these should be cheaper than in the US, but then you'd be wrong.

I'm not asking for cheap transit, but reasonable pricing would be nice.

Just like in the USA, businesses are going to charge the maximum they think their market will bear.

Don't forget about the taxis, their gas costs a lot more, and I presume parts for maintenance/breakdowns are probably through the roof. Probably not enough to warrant what they charge, but there are external factors that we're probably not aware of.

I know what you are saying, but shouldn't that be they same for other islands stops. This stop is one of the poorest of the islands and yet transportation cost more.

I'm told it's b/c the only time they can make money is when the ship is in town, I checked the port schedule and for this side of the island, for the month of Nov, there's 16 days when there's at least one ship at port at one of the three cities of MoBay, Falmouth & Ocho Rios.

But shouldn't the other islands have the exact same problem?

This stop is one of the poorest of the islands and yet transportation cost more.

You answered your own question. poorest country in the caribbean visited by a ship from the richest country in the world. At least be glad they accept US $'s now. Back in the early 80's you got off the ship and had to convert US$'s to Jamican $'s so you could shop or hire a cab.

• 4 months later...

I'm pretty sure that if you wanted to take a 4 hour round trip with a guide from any airport or cruise port in the US the cost would be much more than $43. Try doing something more local and you will not have to worry about high transportation costs. Save Dunns river for a time when your ship stops at Ocho Rios.

• 4 weeks later...

i'm with you! i just posted about the craziness of a $15 pp hop on hop off bus. That's just crazy if you ask me. I have never paid that much for a public bus transit. Grand Cayman is wayyyyyyyyy cheaper than that lol.

I can go from city to city in other countries on the buses cheaper than one stop to the next in Jamaica. I don't get it.

And neither will they as i will not spend that $'s on something like that. just because I can doesn't mean I will or have to.

I'd do like the other poster said. If you want to do something in Ocho Rios, wait until your next cruise that docks there. :) That's what we chose to do. It's a long drive and can be tricky with traffic at times i have read. I'd not risk it personally.

i'm with you! i just posted about the craziness of a $15 pp hop on hop off bus. That's just crazy if you ask me. I have never paid that much for a public bus transit. Grand Cayman is wayyyyyyyyy cheaper than that lol.

I can go from city to city in other countries on the buses cheaper than one stop to the next in Jamaica. I don't get it.

Its an ALL day price, pay o.n.c.e and done, as many stops as you want:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Its an ALL day price, pay o.n.c.e and done, as many stops as you want:rolleyes::rolleyes:

yes i understand that....but many places you pay less than $10 a day for a 24 hour period...not $15 a day for just a few hours in port...that's all i was referring to.

it's public transportation. in Jamaica. :rolleyes:

i have to agree with pp. For a poor country like Jamaica where wages have got to be lower than the US to charge abt the same for labor intensive work like transportation and tour guides is nuts. I definitely find excursions much more expensive than what I see at other ports of call.

we ended up renting a car in falmouth. For abt 100, all 8 of us will travel to Dunns River Falls.We're allcomfortable travelling in 3rd world countries and carefully researched it.

Archived